PDA

View Full Version : Dick Van Patten racing to the track

banacek
01-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Now here's a real horseplayer for you:

"TMZ has learned the "Eight is Enough" star t-boned another car in his BMW in the San Fernando Valley Wednesday afternoon -- but after the run-in, he couldn't find the other driver ... so he took off to the Santa Anita race track. Turns out the woman in the other car pulled into a nearby gas station and called the police -- who then couldn't locate Van Patten. "

and of course..."Van Patten's horse lost."

http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0cenuK8mH (http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0cenuK8mH)

LottaKash
01-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Yikes, the things we do to get a "bet-in".....:jump:

best,

miesque
01-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Dick Van Patten is a dedicated horseplayer and racing enthusiast. Almost every single day I have been at Hollywood Park I see him up in the Turf Club (usually with Mel Brooks) capping the races and placing bets at the windows and he is a genuinely nice guy to boot. I can only say that I can relate to the spirit of that story, I am sure most of us have crazy stories about getting to the track in time or to the windows on time. At least I do. :D

boomman
01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Dick Van Patten is a dedicated horseplayer and racing enthusiast. Almost every single day I have been at Hollywood Park I see him up in the Turf Club (usually with Mel Brooks) capping the races and placing bets at the windows and he is a genuinely nice guy to boot. I can only say that I can relate to the spirit of that story, I am sure most of us have crazy stories about getting to the track in time or to the windows on time. At least I do. :D

Theresia: Yep, Dick Van Patten is definitely one of "us"! I see him almost every time I go to Del Mar, and he always says hello even as he's running to the window to make a bet!;) He's an avid horseplayer and a really nice guy. As for my favorite story on "rushing" to the racetrack, you guys will swear I'm making this up but it's absolutely true: Back in the 70's we used to trek the 180 miles (one way) almost daily to the old Ak-Sar-Ben racetrack in Omaha, Nebraska during their summer meet.They ran @ 4PM on weekdays (and I always said it was so all the guys from Kansas City had time to get there :D ) well anyway, a restaurant owner friend of mine was driving something like a 110 miles an hour when he blew his engine on highway 80 just a few miles from the track (and remember of course, the speed limit in those days was 55:D and they would have literally thrown him in jail if they caught him) so the damn guy jumps out of his car and hitchhikes to Ak-Sar-Ben and runs all the way inside the track to his regular teller @ the $50 window who is frantically punching his daily double tickets and get's 'em in just as the bell is going off for the opener. He promises the teller a big toke if the doubles win him $$ and he (and the teller) are screaming wildly as his key horse gets up in the shadow of the wire to win @ 12x1. Now for the bad news and I'm sure you've probably guessed it: His horse gets taken down for interference at the 1/8 pole, he loses all his double wagers and his car is sitting abandoned on the interstate. TRUE STORY!! OUCH!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

P.S. See you guys @ Tampa;)

46zilzal
01-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I used to sit in the turf club as the guest of Mrs. Lu Wright (founding member of both the LA and Hollywood Turf clubs and wife of the chief veterinarian). It was in a line up while I was trying to talk off a very tall man from betting a horse I knew would stop at 7 furlongs, that I noticed it was Walter Mathau (I had not looked up at his face as we began chatting).

I told him although the horse he liked was very fast, her record showed she would stop after 6.5 and would be challenged quite a bit early. He still put $500 on the nose and laughed later (as the mare's tail began to swirl and she stopped like a cheap watch) calling out to me: I shudda listened to you!"

jefftune
01-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Yep, when I went to Santa Anita years ago, the one celebrity I recognized at the track was Dick Van P.

dansan
01-16-2010, 12:48 AM
only time i went to santa anita i saw the mick

ranchwest
01-16-2010, 12:54 AM
I remember the easiest daily double I ever handicapped. I fell asleep at home, rushed to the track and arrived just as the gates opened -- for race 2. Fortunately it didn't pay much, but it was one of those "money on the ground" deals at the beginning of the day that I hated to miss out on.

ranchwest
01-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Dick Van Patton and his son are also good poker commentators.

GameTheory
01-16-2010, 01:11 AM
I used to go to Santa Anita everyday -- never saw a celebrity in the stands. Saw a few that were horse owners, but no bettors. Guess I was hanging out in the wrong section.

chickenhead
01-16-2010, 01:19 AM
I almost ran over Jerry Tarkanian (Tark the Shark) turning a corner coming out of the bathroom at SA or Del Mar, don't remember which. And I saw Amarillo Slim at Hollywood sitting in the cheap seats. Only two people anyone might know I've seen around gambling.

bigmack
01-16-2010, 01:29 AM
While I trust DVPatten is a swell fellow, 'celebrity' sightings or, brushing elbows with people that you've seen on TV or film ain't that big of a deal.

I know plenty and have played golf/tennis with some biggies. After the first 3 the novelty of "I saw/know, him/her" wears off.

NJ Stinks
01-16-2010, 01:41 AM
About 30 years ago I was speeding like a fool trying to catch the 5th race at Delaware. I crossed Route 4 and entered Delaware Park from Churchmans Road. (Anybody who has done this knows I'm still about a half mile from the track and back then you couldn't even see the track yet for all the trees.) So I'm zooming over the railroad bridge when I notice the flashing lights. The cop says to me: "Do you drive like this in New Jersey?" I mumbled something like "No sir. It's just that I was trying to catch the 5th race." The cop looked at me kind of funny and said something like: "We appreciate your support of Delaware racing. But slow down. We want you to come back." I couldn't believe my luck - although I think it ran out about a quarter-mile from the track! :)

chickenhead
01-16-2010, 01:42 AM
While I trust DVPatten is a swell fellow, 'celebrity' sightings or, brushing elbows with people that you've seen on TV or film ain't that big of a deal.

That's like me telling a bunch of tourists Redwoods trees are after all just trees, and they'd get bored with them after awhile. Leave us non-southern californians be.

NJ Stinks
01-16-2010, 02:03 AM
I saw a few celebs at the track too. Here's a few:

1. At Gulfstream about 10 years ago I'm watching the simulcast of the 9th race at Laurel. My horse won the race and I'm high-fiving my buddy as the horses crossed the wire when all of sudden I hear this guy right behind me screaming and cursing that that was worst ride/race he ever saw. Turned out to be Andy Beyer. I didn't ask him to sign my program. :)

2. At the 1989 Belmont, my buddy got me into the Clubhouse dining room. At the next table was Imus and an entourage of about 9 people waiting on him all day like he was royalty. Never heard him say anything - he was almost whispering all day. I guess it's Ok to add that he wasn't looking too good in 1989 either. :)

3. Former Eagle great Steve Van Buren used to go to Philly Park a lot. If you went very often, you probably saw him too.

ranchwest
01-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Nobody ever saw Karls Korner.

GameTheory
01-16-2010, 02:29 AM
I almost ran over Jerry Tarkanian (Tark the Shark) turning a corner coming out of the bathroom at SA or Del Mar, don't remember which. And I saw Amarillo Slim at Hollywood sitting in the cheap seats. Only two people anyone might know I've seen around gambling.I was definitely using the wrong bathroom at SA. I was in the basement smoke-filled area (this was back in 1994ish) and went into the bathroom down there. And it was crowded. I'm in the stall and this guy peers OVER the wall of the next stall and gives me the eye like "are you here for -- you know?" Maybe he was a celebrity for all I know...

PhantomOnTour
01-16-2010, 02:35 AM
I was definitely using the wrong bathroom at SA. I was in the basement smoke-filled area (this was back in 1994ish) and went into the bathroom down there. And it was crowded. I'm in the stall and this guy peers OVER the wall of the next stall and gives me the eye like "are you here for -- you know?" Maybe he was a celebrity for all I know...

George Michael?
Eddie Murphy?

proximity
01-16-2010, 02:48 AM
Nobody ever saw Karls Korner.

didn't magwell used to see mr skorner frequently in the crc paddock??:D

JohnGalt1
01-16-2010, 09:06 AM
When their baseball teams are playing the Twins, I've seen Jim Leyland and Joe Torre at Canterbury Park.

boomman
01-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I used to go to Santa Anita everyday -- never saw a celebrity in the stands. Saw a few that were horse owners, but no bettors. Guess I was hanging out in the wrong section.

When I lived in Southern California I very rarely went to Santa Anita or Hollywood because I didn't want to fight the LA traffic, but went to Del Mar a lot and although I just see the "celebs" as fellow horse players or tourists, there are ALWAYS several of them in the owner/trainer outdoor boxes there (and that's not even counting the clubhouse area) Celebs that I see there often include: former ASU/Michigan basketball coach Bill Frieder (he's there practically every day) sports commentator Dick Enberg & Burt Bacharach;)

Boomer

spiketoo
01-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Anyone ever see that famous pack of Geico money on the ground looking up at you? Been looking for it.

joanied
01-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I wish all these celebs that go to the track would donate their time and make some TV spots to advertise the sport...

Spalding No!
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM

I know plenty and have played golf/tennis with some biggies. After the first 3 the novelty of "I saw/know, him/her" wears off.

When they push the button, and the bombs go off, sending us tumorized, mangled, and limbless survivors hurtling into a post-apocalyptic landscape, will you be our leader?...

bigmack
01-16-2010, 04:57 PM
When they push the button, and the bombs go off, sending us tumorized, mangled, and limbless survivors hurtling into a post-apocalyptic landscape, will you be our leader?...
I'll phone instructions from my heavily fortified fallout shelter whilst chomping on a recently hydrated, dehydrated ribeye with a side of macaroni & cheese.

Don't forget to wear sunscreen.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/TA456FalloutZombieCharacterFX2-main.jpg

LA Racing Lady
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme can often be found at the Fairgrounds after football season. He owns several horses that run under the stable name "Set-Hut Stables" They are trained by his brother and father.

boomman
01-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme can often be found at the Fairgrounds after football season. He owns several horses that run under the stable name "Set-Hut Stables" They are trained by his brother and father.

The way he plays qb he should spend the ENTIRE year at racetracks and get off the football field!!!!:lol:

Boomer