PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands Wed., Jan 13

markgoldie
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Some possible specials tonight from the "To Watch List."

Race 2, #10 Clear The Air. ML 8-1

This horse left well, was shuffled, and closed with late trot in the opening round of The Super Bowl. The main competition should come from the #'s 1,2,3, and 5. However I think the #6 underperformed for some reason in the opening leg and I want to give him another chance, at least on the short end of the ticket. Using #10 as a key horse, I will approach the trifecta in the following manner:

10/1235/12356
1235/10/12356
1235/1235/10 Total punches: 44

Race 5, #2 I Like Strike. ML 10-1

This is one of those situations which is so scary good that they inevitably lose. But whatever, we forge on anyway. I Like Strike left well, was shuffled and closed with sharp late trot in the first leg of The Super Bowl. The horse is clearly in career form, so we have no big past credentials sucking in wagering money. After a non-distinguished campaign in Indiana, he shipped East for a breaking line at Chester. He then went to BMLP where we have a "break-out" qualifier on Dec 16th in which he ripped a big 1.59.3 effort on a slow and frigid oval with a last half in 59 flat and a last quarter of 29.1. He then re-qualified, apparently for tightness purposes but broke. However, he showed no signs of gait problems in last week's event.

If this weren't enough, we have the following three changes since last week: (1) We change barns from Brandon Bates to Peter Kleinhans as well as a change of ownership due to an apparent private sale; (2) We add lasix; and (3) We get Ron Pierce in the bike instead of Brandon Bates.

Now. Here's some advanced thinking from someone who has had some experience in these matters: First, we actually could do without the lasix and Pierce. Why? Because it only draws money and we have already seen that a clean trip could beat this group, with Bates and without the lasix. But even worse is the barn change. Why? Because when we seek to bet serious money, the last thing we want is CHANGE. For example, it is not unusual to see the new stable change the shoeing on the horse, thinking they are making some sort of improvement, when in fact it results in a break. Same with peripheral equipment. Change bits, add a head pole, take one off, throw on a murphy blind, change the bridle or boots and all the rest. You get the picture. We don't need a new trainer tinkering with our good thing.

So that's the scenario. I have no doubt that this horse will draw money. The 10-1 ML is a joke. The bettors aren't as blind as the linesmaker. And so it will boil down to a matter of value. We have two nice, in-form animals in here in #6 Scotch And Caviar and #7 POW. We might use I Like Strike up and back with them in the exacta and with the #'s 1,3,9, and 10 in the third spot in the trifectas. For ex.: 2/6,7/1,3,6,7,9,10 and 6,7/2/1,3,6,7,9,10

Race 7, #2 Oriole Point Bubba was shuffled in his last and closed well. He should represent value in here and I will use him as a key in the superfecta with the in-form #4 and #9 as major players. Also, the #5 deserves attention based on the driver switch and the attempts to close on the super-speed biased oval at Dover. I don't think the #2 is obviously the best in here, just that he represents good value at what should be a price. If he isn't a nice price, I will have no problem passing on him.

Race 9 #2 Escape Attack. This may be the best overall scenario of the card. Escape Attack left in a near- breaking-point quarter in his last race, was shuffled and then closed sharply. Here, we have the same connections, so we don't have to worry about random changes. The only question is what price do we get??

At any rate, he is a PRIME candidate as a superfecta key horse and since the rest of the field is an enigma, I would use a VERY large spread of contenders. You don't want to miss the number if the #2 is any kind of a price. The #'s 4, 5, and 9 should draw the betting action.

That's it. GL Mark

Milleruszk
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks Mark, great analysis as usual!!

botster
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Some possible specials tonight from the "To Watch List."

Race 2, #10 Clear The Air. ML 8-1

This horse left well, was shuffled, and closed with late trot in the opening round of The Super Bowl. The main competition should come from the #'s 1,2,3, and 5. However I think the #6 underperformed for some reason in the opening leg and I want to give him another chance, at least on the short end of the ticket. Using #10 as a key horse, I will approach the trifecta in the following manner:

10/1235/12356
1235/10/12356
1235/1235/10 Total punches: 44

Race 5, #2 I Like Strike. ML 10-1

This is one of those situations which is so scary good that they inevitably lose. But whatever, we forge on anyway. I Like Strike left well, was shuffled and closed with sharp late trot in the first leg of The Super Bowl. The horse is clearly in career form, so we have no big past credentials sucking in wagering money. After a non-distinguished campaign in Indiana, he shipped East for a breaking line at Chester. He then went to BMLP where we have a "break-out" qualifier on Dec 16th in which he ripped a big 1.59.3 effort on a slow and frigid oval with a last half in 59 flat and a last quarter of 29.1. He then re-qualified, apparently for tightness purposes but broke. However, he showed no signs of gait problems in last week's event.

If this weren't enough, we have the following three changes since last week: (1) We change barns from Brandon Bates to Peter Kleinhans as well as a change of ownership due to an apparent private sale; (2) We add lasix; and (3) We get Ron Pierce in the bike instead of Brandon Bates.

Now. Here's some advanced thinking from someone who has had some experience in these matters: First, we actually could do without the lasix and Pierce. Why? Because it only draws money and we have already seen that a clean trip could beat this group, with Bates and without the lasix. But even worse is the barn change. Why? Because when we seek to bet serious money, the last thing we want is CHANGE. For example, it is not unusual to see the new stable change the shoeing on the horse, thinking they are making some sort of improvement, when in fact it results in a break. Same with peripheral equipment. Change bits, add a head pole, take one off, throw on a murphy blind, change the bridle or boots and all the rest. You get the picture. We don't need a new trainer tinkering with our good thing.

So that's the scenario. I have no doubt that this horse will draw money. The 10-1 ML is a joke. The bettors aren't as blind as the linesmaker. And so it will boil down to a matter of value. We have two nice, in-form animals in here in #6 Scotch And Caviar and #7 POW. We might use I Like Strike up and back with them in the exacta and with the #'s 1,3,9, and 10 in the third spot in the trifectas. For ex.: 2/6,7/1,3,6,7,9,10 and 6,7/2/1,3,6,7,9,10

Race 7, #2 Oriole Point Bubba was shuffled in his last and closed well. He should represent value in here and I will use him as a key in the superfecta with the in-form #4 and #9 as major players. Also, the #5 deserves attention based on the driver switch and the attempts to close on the super-speed biased oval at Dover. I don't think the #2 is obviously the best in here, just that he represents good value at what should be a price. If he isn't a nice price, I will have no problem passing on him.

Race 9 #2 Escape Attack. This may be the best overall scenario of the card. Escape Attack left in a near- breaking-point quarter in his last race, was shuffled and then closed sharply. Here, we have the same connections, so we don't have to worry about random changes. The only question is what price do we get??

At any rate, he is a PRIME candidate as a superfecta key horse and since the rest of the field is an enigma, I would use a VERY large spread of contenders. You don't want to miss the number if the #2 is any kind of a price. The #'s 4, 5, and 9 should draw the betting action.

That's it. GL Mark

Great stuff again...I agree with you about the #6 in the second.That race was ridiculous last week and there may be a huge form reversal..."god it couldn't get any worse than last week".I believe your #10 can win, but GREY ICE shows that win two back in nw5 at Dover and he may just be too good for these.

I don't particuliarly care for the fifth race altogether...7-6-2-3

7th I liked your pick last week and he did race big.Moving up here to scare some perspective claims maybe...5-4-2-9

9th We are dead on agreement here in the ninth...2-5-10-3.

I am using 3rd 6 ROCK WITH IT big tonight.Blew the #1 out of the water last year and was blocked in heavy traffic last week with trot.

10th 2 RUFF DRAGON is another longshot I will most likely be using with heavy artillery.

Good Fortune:)

Canarsie
01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
We are in agreement on race 5 and 7 those were contest ones did them first. Banged the $56 horse on Sunday getting back in the thick of things. I appreciate you analysis people who put in the time and effort make the reading worthwhile.

There is nothing like Trackmaster to tell you the training changes it's almost priceless. :ThmbUp:

InsideThePylons-MW
01-13-2010, 06:59 PM
So that's the scenario. I have no doubt that this horse will draw money. The 10-1 ML is a joke. The bettors aren't as blind as the linesmaker. And so it will boil down to a matter of value.

he'll be somewhere between 3-1 and 5-1

melman
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Good call on the 10 in race 2 Mark. A winner at $13 and change. Tri was 10-3-5. Very nice payout on the double. Hope you had that as well.

markgoldie
01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Didn't play the double. Needed the #2 to squeeze through for a really nice tri, but the exacta and tri payouts were okay.

Milleruszk
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Mark, good call on the #10 in the 2nd. Hope you pounded it!

markgoldie
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
At 9-5 there simply was no value on a horse changing barns and the uncertainty principle held sway as he was rough behind the gate and spotted the field easily enough to have won the race by 5 lengths or more. And that's why you need a price on things like this.

LottaKash
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
At 9-5 there simply was no value on a horse changing barns and the uncertainty principle held sway as he was rough behind the gate and spotted the field easily enough to have won the race by 5 lengths or more. And that's why you need a price on things like this.

Couldn't agree with you more, MG, about that one.....He seemed so fractious early on in the race.... Something was bothering him, I thought at first that he may have bounced a bit from his last affair, but that didn't seem to be the case as it turned out later in the race.... He just seemed to be plain ornery at the start...I think I would've played him, with real-Kash, if he didn't have that "affinity to break in his carded lines....I thought 9/5 was an overlay for him....He was my contest pick as well...Too bad, as you said, he would've blown the doors off of them, most likely....

best,

markgoldie
01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, MG, about that one.....He seemed so fractious early on in the race.... Something was bothering him, I thought at first that he may have bounced a bit from his last affair, but that didn't seem to be the case as it turned out later in the race.... He just seemed to be plain ornery at the start...I think I would've played him, with real-Kash, if he didn't have that "affinity to break in his carded lines....I thought 9/5 was an overlay for him....He was my contest pick as well...Too bad, as you said, he would've blown the doors off of them, most likely....

best,
Hey Kash;

I always treat barn changes as question mark horses. That means I have a hard and fast rule-- ALWAYS play them at a price (and I like a cutoff of 8-1 or more) and never, ever play them as chalk. So a barn change horse is always a potential play. It just depends on the price as to which way you go. I can tell you that anything that's 1-1 or lower is a MUST play-against for me. This horse had a lot going for him, so I wouldn't play at all, just pass and watch. But it didn't surprise me at all that he failed (as I said in the original post).

LottaKash
01-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey Kash;

I always treat barn changes as question mark horses. That means I have a hard and fast rule-- ALWAYS play them at a price (and I like a cutoff of 8-1 or more) and never, ever play them as chalk. So a barn change horse is always a potential play. It just depends on the price as to which way you go. I can tell you that anything that's 1-1 or lower is a MUST play-against for me. This horse had a lot going for him, so I wouldn't play at all, just pass and watch. But it didn't surprise me at all that he failed (as I said in the original post).

My yes, he did fail, but he looked so good doing it, didn't he ?...heehee

As for Barn Changes, I caught the last race, talk about changes,,,,This proven Back-Classer, changed tracks, barns (Joe Anderson, a plus), changed drivers and into a claimer-first time, topped off with a very powerful pace pattern...$6.20 for a very safe, well bet & well meant, w-w win (vs. nobodys)...All positive changes....couldn't resist...

P.S. Nice call on Race-1....etc....

best,