PDA

View Full Version : Major Earthquake Hits Haiti, Tsunami Watch Issued - ABC News

andymays
01-12-2010, 06:59 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/major-earthquake-hits-haiti-tsunami-watch-issued/story?id=9544984

Excerpt:

A major earthquake struck just off the coast of Haiti late this afternoon, causing extensive damage in the capital of Port-au-Prince and leading to a tsunami watch for much of the Caribbean. The center of the earthquake was 700 miles from Miami.

The quake had a magnitude of 7.0 according to the U.S. Geological Survey, and was centered just 10 miles from Port-au-Prince.

Its center's location was also relatively shallow, less than 10 miles below ground, raising the risk of damage.

Greyfox
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
My prayers are extended to them.
This is absolutely going to be a mother of disasters. God Bless.

JustRalph
01-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Some graphic shots from Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=252988675717

Warning............Graphic

PaceAdvantage
01-12-2010, 11:47 PM
What unbelievable devastation at the hands of Mother Nature...

boxcar
01-13-2010, 12:57 AM
It's too sad for words. My heart is broken for these poor people. They had next to nothing to begin with; now the survivors barely have their lives.

Boxcar

dav4463
01-13-2010, 01:33 AM
global warming?

newtothegame
01-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Terrible tragedy......
after seeing many of the pics....kind of leaves a quezy uneasy feeling deep in your stomache.
Sad......:(

Tom
01-13-2010, 07:50 AM
That was hard to watch Ralph.
They say cash is what is needed most urgently.

ArlJim78
01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
they're asking for a hospital ship and first responders. the reports i've seen and heard are horrific with terrible suffering and loss of life. we'll need to do what we can for aid.

johnhannibalsmith
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Just awful... damn... those poor people - I hope we can help out in a meaningful way. :(

098poi
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I was living in Sherman Oaks during the 1994 Northridge quake in California. I had to move as my apartment was tagged as unsafe. There were a staggering number of structures that had to be rebuilt. The whole experience was a nightmare and I send my prayers to the people of Haiti. If you would like to donate to the Red Cross International Response Fund here is a link. (If you have some political hatred for the Red Cross there are many other agencies to donate to)

https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?4306.donation=form1&idb=520717783&df_id=4306&s_subsrc=RCO_NewsArticle

Marshall Bennett
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to all effected . Truly terrible .

ArlJim78
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I see that true to form, this White House nevers lets a good crisis go to waste. Obama directed anyone who wants to contribute aid for the Haiti earthquake to whitehouse.gov. shameless.

If you want to help Haitians go to the Red Cross or your church or a reputable international aid group.

mostpost
01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I see that true to form, this White House nevers lets a good crisis go to waste. Obama directed anyone who wants to contribute aid for the Haiti earthquake to whitehouse.gov. shameless.

If you want to help Haitians go to the Red Cross or your church or a reputable international aid group.
What's shameless is you taking even this opportunity to bash Obama. The obvious reason for using whitehouse.gov is that it is easy to remember. If you had actually gone there you would have seen that there is a link to "Help for Haiti" on the first page. Then there are links to the Red Cross and to other aid organizations. You make your contributions directly to those organizations.

hazzardm
01-13-2010, 07:13 PM
My cousin is/was in the process of going on a mission there next month......

Evangelical spokesman Rev. Pat Robertson essentially says they asked for it What a friggin tool :confused:

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'

"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said. "Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0110/Robertson_Haiti_cursed_since_Satanic_pact.html?sho wall

hazzardm
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I found the wiki on History of Haiti to be a fascinating read. Poor basterds .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Haiti

bigmack
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Google Earth after the quake in Haiti

http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/

Jay Trotter
01-14-2010, 02:33 PM
That is about as shameful as it gets! :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Evangelical spokesman Rev. Pat Robertson essentially says they asked for it What a friggin tool :confused:

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'

"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said. "Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0110/Robertson_Haiti_cursed_since_Satanic_pact.html?sho wall

GaryG
01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
My church supports missionaries there as well as in many other areas. Haitians are not cursed, merely a poor, third world country that has been victimized by it's leaders. Just heard that the missionaries are safe.....thank God. They are staying for as long as they are needed. They said looting and violence was rampant. Sounds like New Orleans.

PhantomOnTour
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
I found the wiki on History of Haiti to be a fascinating read. Poor basterds .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Haiti

Bastards?? Really??? At this time??? You lost a lotta cred there hazzard :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

PhantomOnTour
01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
What are the folks who perished in Banda Ache after the tsunami?? Suckers? Or are they bastards too?? I think we know who the bastard is.

hazzardm
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Meant as a term of endearment. I thought the deliberate misspelling would indicate such. Sorry it offends you.

Stevie Belmont
01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Directory of Relief Agencies For Earthquake Victims (http://www.1010wins.com/Full-Directory-of-Relief-Agencies-for-Haiti-Earthq/6106415)

I donated to the one way on the bottom. What a horrible situation they have there.

mostpost
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Meant as a term of endearment. I thought the deliberate misspelling would indicate such. Sorry it offends you.
We understood what you meant. :ThmbUp:

castaway01
01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Horrible, horrible stuff...I hope the people there get the help they need.

Boats
01-15-2010, 01:36 PM

The same goes for Limbaugh and his 'dildo heads'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rElMVoZ-vQ&feature=related

Tom
01-15-2010, 03:51 PM
The same goes for Limbaugh and his 'dildo heads'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rElMVoZ-vQ&feature=related\

Where do you get this crap? That is 100% not true.
Show me exactly what point in your link he says anything remotely like that.
You are classless for trying to pass of lies like this about someone. A disgraceful excuse for a human being.

hazzardm
01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Mr. Compassionate quotes ......

“Everything this president sees is a political opportunity, including Haiti, and he will use it to burnish his credentials with minorities in this country and around the world, and to accuse Republicans of having no compassion,” Limbaugh said in comments flagged by the liberal blog Think Progress.

Limbaugh has come under fire from both the right and the left for saying that the earthquake played directly into Obama’s hands, allowing him to look “compassionate.” The host claimed the White House’s response would bolster Obama’s standing in the “light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country.”

He also appeared to discourage help for the island nation, saying, “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31539.html#ixzz0ciYxyqPK

ArlJim78
01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
If you guys had a sense of humor and actually listened to his show you would understand those comments.

Greyfox
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
If you guys had a sense of humor and actually listened to his show you would understand those comments.

I see irony in the comment “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”
However, irony isn't humor when it's said at an inappropriate time.
There's a time and a place for a punch line. As the world weeps, this was a stupid remark to make.

Saratoga_Mike
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Why can't certain conservatives on this board just say, "I typically agree with Rush, but he's just wrong on this issue?" That won't make you a liberal.

hazzardm
01-15-2010, 04:50 PM

I've listened to Rush many times, I find him quite the successful entertainer. I recall way back when he started the hilarious uproar over women farding while driving.

He always uses very specific phrases that allow him an out when the tide turns against him. I understand he despises libs like BO, ironically because his rating and revenues peak when Dems control the White House.

How about his thoughts on imprisoning drug users, he really got a free pass on that one.

I still find the comments regarding Haiti sick, because there are THOUSANDS STILL DYING, and he is trying to boost his ratings over it.

It is the people who consider him a political/moral compass, rather than an entertainer, that are the most frightening.

hazzardm
01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I see irony in the comment “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”
However, irony isn't humor when it's said at an inappropriate time.
There's a time and a place for a punch line. As the world weeps, this was a stupid remark to make.

It's all about the rating with Rush. Always has been, always will be. Sheep still hang on his every word.

Tom
01-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Why can't certain conservatives on this board just say, "I typically agree with Rush, but he's just wrong on this issue?" That won't make you a liberal.

Because he specifically said to contribute through other channels, NOT the White House. He is correct on this issue. Obama is a liar and a thief and a murderer. To trust him is to be a big fool. But as usual, the lefties just pick up the abbreviated sound bytes and then try to pass them off as truth. I, for one, am sick of letting the liars go unchallenged. It the lying SOBs on the left who put this country in the toilet. I do not intend to let ignorant BS pass.
And so far, there has been a lot of it posted here.

btw, I have disagreed with Rush before, sorry that doesn't fit your reality.
How about this question? Why can't a lefty say "I typically disagree with Rush, but for a change, I will not take words out of context and try to pass them off as something. Maybe for once, I will not get my pablum from MSNBC and I will actually listen to the whole program and hear what he really said - all of it?" :lol: Don't hold your breath!

Tom
01-15-2010, 07:29 PM
It's all about the rating with Rush. Always has been, always will be. Sheep still hang on his every word.

Yeah, right......enjoy your little dreams. :rolleyes::lol:
Talk about sheep[ - look at the following of utter morons Obama has accumulated. They just after his stash? Like the anchor-bitch in Detroit, of the leech lady waiting to get her car filled with gas? :lol:

hazzardm
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Rush's flock .....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0DaX0hi214k/RgiVmXXsnhI/AAAAAAAAACQ/UagEQBhKa-A/s400/sheep+man.gif

rastajenk
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
When I heard a truncated soundbite from Mr. Limbaugh, I thought it was a pretty classless thing to say and unnecessarily incendiary; even if there's some truth to it (probably), that observation could have waited a few days a week.

But...

As almost everything does, his comments reveal another situation where double standards, hypocrisies, and phony outrage are the coin of the liberal realm. In 2005, when bloated bodies were still floating down neighborhood streets, the then-president was accused of taking an uncaring approach simply because he didn't like black folks, and lefty celebrity types (Sean Penn, Geraldo) showed up in New Orleans to basically get in the way while complaining about the government's response. So politicizing a tragedy of immense proportions is not unprecedented in 2010; in fact, it's about par.

Saratoga_Mike
01-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Because he specifically said to contribute through other channels, NOT the White House. He is correct on this issue. Obama is a liar and a thief and a murderer. To trust him is to be a big fool. But as usual, the lefties just pick up the abbreviated sound bytes and then try to pass them off as truth. I, for one, am sick of letting the liars go unchallenged. It the lying SOBs on the left who put this country in the toilet. I do not intend to let ignorant BS pass.
And so far, there has been a lot of it posted here.

btw, I have disagreed with Rush before, sorry that doesn't fit your reality.
How about this question? Why can't a lefty say "I typically disagree with Rush, but for a change, I will not take words out of context and try to pass them off as something. Maybe for once, I will not get my pablum from MSNBC and I will actually listen to the whole program and hear what he really said - all of it?" :lol: Don't hold your breath!

Tom,

The words weren't taken out of context. He made a mistake and then he made it worse. Come on, you have to know what he said was inappropriate. And I agree with you: hard-core liberals wouldn't credit Limbaugh if he donated his entire fortune to Haiti, but that still doesn't make what he said right.

boxcar
01-16-2010, 12:25 AM

Well....considering who the occupiers were, there could be some truth to what Robertson is saying about a deal being cut with someone they might have considered at the time to be the lesser of two evils. ;)

Boxcar

bigmack
01-16-2010, 12:54 AM
We should all be riddled with guilt in our collective inability to achieve something at the Copenhagen Caviar Conference.

Actor Danny Glover says the earthquake in Haiti is a result of global warming. Glover told GRITtv that it could have happened to any of the Caribbean island nations: "They are all in peril because of global warming."

Then, he lamented the failure of the climate summit in Copenhagen. As a result of that failure, he says, "this is what happened."

Shame on you. Shame on me. Shame on Limbaugh. Shame on Robertson. Shame on Obama. Shame on Pelosi.

Hell, somebody stop me....

Tom
01-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Global Warming. That's why Danny can't get a cab in Harlem.
Or is it because..........he's a flamming idiot?

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2010, 03:39 AM
As almost everything does, his comments reveal another situation where double standards, hypocrisies, and phony outrage are the coin of the liberal realm. In 2005, when bloated bodies were still floating down neighborhood streets, the then-president was accused of taking an uncaring approach simply because he didn't like black folks, and lefty celebrity types (Sean Penn, Geraldo) showed up in New Orleans to basically get in the way while complaining about the government's response. So politicizing a tragedy of immense proportions is not unprecedented in 2010; in fact, it's about par.Great point...I bet none of the folks currently lambasting Limbaugh for commenting on Haiti were lambasting Sean Penn or Kanye West or any of the other COUNTLESS political commentators who also said as much about Bush and Katrina. I know for a fact none of them were lambasting them HERE because I never read as much.

Oh no...in fact, they likely nodded their heads in DITTO-LIKE approval, some going so far as saying "Katrina will be Bush's Waterloo." Politicizing Katrina while bodies lay rotting and children lay crying out in pain in the aftermath of Katrina.

Give us a break. You're not fooling anyone.