PDA

View Full Version : Question - ways to play harness

DeanT
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi Guys (and girls),

Ray and I were chatting and he gave me a few items out there to use to bet harness racing, other than pen and paper. I would like to do a poll like is being done for tbreds on the tbred board here - i.e. what do you use to bet harness racing.

We have come up with these as possibles. Can you add to the list if you know of anything commercially offered? I would like to link the poll around to see what harness players are doing.

So far we have:

Simubet
Compubet
Trackmaster software
PaceMaster XPV Harness Race Handicapping Software
Bud Smith's Ultra-Pix
Bud Smith's Duo-Pix
American Standardbred Handicapper
The Diamond System for Harness Racing (Pandy)
Home grown excel/database software
Home grown other software for selections
Home grown pace/speed figs (by hand)
I use a pen and paper and am an old time capper

Anything one might have missed with this list?

melman
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Dean---I think there are still a lot of fans of Al Stanley. Many of those people post here. As to "pen and pencil" lets make poster "Dboomster" happy and mention the best of the printed pp's namely "Harness Eye".

DeanT
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I have not seen a harness eye for a long time. Didnt they post their own pace figs with ground loss etc at one time? I think Pandy does that, but I am not 100% sure.

fmolf
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Dean---I think there are still a lot of fans of Al Stanley. Many of those people post here. As to "pen and pencil" lets make poster "Dboomster" happy and mention the best of the printed pp's namely "Harness Eye".
Mel... the wife and i are going to yonkers soon with a few other couples.In your opinion is the harness eye better for a beginner harness guy like me or should i download the bris or tm pp's?any and all please feel free to respond I am interested in which pp's are the best.

melman
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
fmolf---IMO Harness Eye does the BEST job of pp's for both Yonkers and Meadowlands. Well worth the price.

DeanT
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I used to love the harness eye. I have not seen one in ages. I think if I was a tho-bred player I would like the harness eye better than regular PP's (jmo) as they are pretty detailed, from what I remember.

GL FM!!!

LottaKash
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Fmwolf.....I am not sure about what to tell you concerning what program is best....That is hard to say, for me, because there is much to like about either of the TM, or HE, past performances.....I suppose it depends on price, and what you want to use in making your assessments when trying to find contenders.....

I will tell you this, I use TM's "Pace-Past performances I like em.....They are $3.00 per track per day, or you can get an unlimited (as many tracks as you can eat) subscription $59.95 per mo., 2mos, 6mos, up to yearly of $599.95 (that is how I buy them).....TM supplies you with everything that HE does, and other than the HE high-quality charts which are the best anywhere, imo, TM gives you more in the way of numbers....They additionally give you each horses's. both(2) 3/4-times, and all 3 of his 1/2-mile times, Pace ratings (I use my own set) Power-Ratings) plus a couple of lesser items....But all in all, they give you a lot....My handicapping has taken a pleasant-leap forward since starting early last year, with the new PPP's, the additional new numbers take a lot of math out of the handicapping equation, for me...(lazy)....Well worth the money if you are as serious about this game, as I am....I love it....

Ont the otherhand, a while back, Dboomster and I had a dialogue about HE, and he offered me some added value to the price, yet I declined.....I didn't take the offer....I t was a bit pricey for me, at that time, and perhaps that has changed since...

I hope you find what you are searching for Fmwolf....good luck with that...Besides, they are both worthy contenders, and you can get both "Online"

best,

LottaKash
01-14-2010, 02:24 PM
I forgot to mention that you can get TM-basic past performances for $1.50 per day..... or unlimited monthly for 39.95, up to $399.95 per year....

best.

Dboomster
01-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I appreciate the free publicity, Melman . . . lol

Obviously I think Harness Eye has the best product, but I guess I'm biased. We are still offering our charts via e-mail service, as well.

Might be a good time to mention that I have been upgrading our web-based content at www.harnesscharts.com (http://www.harnesscharts.com). Recent columns and "Horses to Watch" have been added. And the price is FREE.

Harness Eye is also on Twitter now at http://twitter.com/harnesseye.

If anyone ever has questions, I'm always available.

DG

Milleruszk
01-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I appreciate the free publicity, Melman . . . lol

Obviously I think Harness Eye has the best product, but I guess I'm biased. We are still offering our charts via e-mail service, as well.

Might be a good time to mention that I have been upgrading our web-based content at www.harnesscharts.com (http://www.harnesscharts.com). Recent columns and "Horses to Watch" have been added. And the price is FREE.

Harness Eye is also on Twitter now at http://twitter.com/harnesseye.

If anyone ever has questions, I'm always available.

DG

Are Harness Eye PPs available online? Thanks

DeanT
01-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi Derrick,

A couple of quick ones: Your figs are done in house, correct? What is the methodology used and how do you think they stack up, roi-wise?

Also, I find your tip notes really, really good. Do you do those yourself?

PS: I would buy the PPs ahead of TM if they were available online, or in some sort of data file.

Dboomster
01-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Dean,

Figs are done in-house. Take into account many factors including time, track, track condition, trip, etc. I've never done a study on how well you could do with them, but I have heard from a few people that tell me they love them.

PP's are not available online, unfortunately. Maybe one day, hopefully.

Raceday comments on the PP lines are done by a few different people, depending on the track. I do some from time to time (big races, Red Mile and the occasional Freehold day). The Horses to Watch section on the Meadowlands is all me.

DG

Postime
01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I have the PaceMaster XPV Harness Race Handicapping Software, and it's a nice tool. Have only used since January, still building data base.
I also like Dan Nance's numbers over at horseplop.:ThmbUp:

pandy
01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi all, someone just emailed me with a question about my Harness Diamond System. They were reading this forum and apparently someone wrote that it didn't cover all tracks. The question was, does it work at all tracks? Yes, it does, I have pars for all tracks including small tracks and users get a speed ratings as well as the Diamond Ratings.

Tape Reader
01-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Tote board. I use it on everything.

Two of the angles I use:
Circle any horse that is below the ML at approximately 8 MTP, regardless of final odds. They are usually contenders.
Any horse on any flash that comes down in odds while the rest stay the same or go up in odds. Unmistakable sign of a big bet.
Bet as late as possible.

melman
02-05-2010, 06:58 PM
DeanT---Some good news. Poster Dboomster ( a very very good trip watcher) has expanded his "horses to watch" list at harness charts.com. In addition to M1 and YR now has MR and FHL. And coming soon WDB. I think you play Woodbine so something good to look forward to. And it's a free feature.

DeanT
02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
C'est bon!

That is going to be a go to site.

melman
02-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Dean---Did not take Dboomster long, he already has a few trip notes on five horses to watch for Woodbine. Man of his word. :)

Also a nice front page story on the claiming game. Nice if you spot the right one. Real nice. How nice well check this.

Blatantly Good claimed for $7,500
Corky Baran claimed for $25,000
Winbak Speed claimed for $30,000

Nice to have those three in your barn. :)

DeanT
02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I just checked the list. I was hoping for a couple tonight for the pick 6 - I am going to take a stab but I am having trouble with the first leg. Real trouble. I like the eight, but he will be so far back. Like anything in that race Mel?

Winbak speed has to be one of my fave claims. Tough as nails and I love that horse .......... all for $30k

melman
02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Dean-Mine for the pic6 at M1 tonight.

R4 164
R5 426
R6 41 Really was thinking of a single on the 4
R7 6148
R8 359
R9 561

Best shot of night R12 Fox Valley Lee 8-1 This is the right spot for him. Hope for 5-1

DeanT
02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm worried about the 1 and 6 in the 4th which you have. My ticket will be about $42,000 if I add those :D

I was going to key Art At Heart. Still thinking about it. I might key the eight in the sixth as a pure separator. Going deep in the 7th. Like 5 and 6 in both the last legs.

Totally with you on Fox Valley in the 12th. Thanks for mentioning that, I was going to shut down after my pick 6 goes up in flames, but I will wait til the 12th now :)

melman
02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
You still "live" Dean? I went down with the one. Have one pic6 ticket left but the 4 in leg2 and the 4 in leg3 would both have to win.

DeanT
02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey man, good on ya. Being alive is a good thing!

Nope for me. I went really deep in the seventh, and some "b" horses here (1 and 8) and in the last couple with b horses, looking for a score. I could not use more than three horses in leg one.

If you get by the next two, we'll start the cheering section here pal.

DeanT
02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
One down, four to go!

melman
02-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Dean--The R5 exacta really was a nice "cost defrayer" :) for me. If the four wins R6 the rest of my ticket is exactly as a listed to you. Starting my pic4 using the 4 as a single on one ticket and the 4 and 1 on the other ticket.

DeanT
02-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Downer Mel. 55 back half ..... ran into a buzzsaw there.

melman
02-06-2010, 08:58 PM
No pic6 for me tonight. Will have to settle for the pic4. :lol:

R7 614
R8 359
R9 56

DeanT
02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
On pick 6 nights they should have pick 5's, 4's 3's and 2's, just so I can have something to play when I lose each of them.

Gonna make a couple exotic bets in this one............ go seek a score with the 3 or 12 on top of supers maybe. Then after that loses I will adv bet a little in the 12th :)

Have a good night bud! GL!