PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV Question for Horseplayers

sq764
06-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Has anyone had any good/bad or indifferent experiences with Direct TV?

We are moving into our new house and I currently have Dish Network. They have been ok, at best. I was wondering the following:

- If anyone has tried both Dish and Direct, which one is better,

- Do the additional Fox Sports channels carry any live horseracing?

- From a horseplayer standpoint, what would be the best programming to go with?

Thanks
Scott

JustRalph
06-21-2003, 12:21 PM
I have had both.....moved from DirectTv to get TVG about two years back. Now that TVG is on DirectTv, I don't know what the differences would be. If Direct offers a Digital recorder, I couldn't see much difference at all. I love my Dishnetwork recorders. But as far as programming is concerned...... I don't see much difference. I haven't had Direct for 2 years though. :cool:

BillW
06-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Has anyone had any good/bad or indifferent experiences with Direct TV?

We are moving into our new house and I currently have Dish Network. They have been ok, at best. I was wondering the following:

- If anyone has tried both Dish and Direct, which one is better,

- Do the additional Fox Sports channels carry any live horseracing?

- From a horseplayer standpoint, what would be the best programming to go with?

Thanks
Scott

Scott,

By "additional Fox Sports Channels" are you saying that DirectTV has more than Dish Network? The Live racing on the (Dish Network) Fox channels is simulcast from TVG (NY) and HRTV on FSP (Pittsburgh). This is all that I am aware of. Multiple replay shows are on Fox as well as TVG.

BTW the only Fox channel that I'm aware of that Dish does not have is Fox West II ... which carries the TVG simulcast.

Bill

andicap
06-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Advantage of Dish Net is TVG is on the top 100. With DirecTv you have to buy the sports tier. But if you want all the Fox Sports Net regionals -- for replay shows -- you have to buy the sports tier on DishNet as well.

When Murdoch finishes buying DirecTv he might move TVG off the tier because he'll want more people using the network (and betting into the hub which he owns 44% of).

best way to compare is check the websites...dishnet.com and directv.com

I have DishNet and like it fine but have never had DirecTv. A big advantage of Directv tho is you can get the unit with a built in TiVo. That's a nice feature to have in watching races and replays because you can pause and rewind and slow-mo very easily with TiVo and no Tapes! (although you can't store too many shows on the Tivo since it has a time limit.)

DishNet has a Tivo-like devide too (Dishplayer) but its far inferior to the Directv-Tivo unit.

Of course you have to pay more for the Tivo unit plus the fee to subscribe to the service.

Dave Schwartz
06-21-2003, 06:13 PM
On that subject, these guys...

http://www.racereplays.com/

...offer "replays" 7 minutes after the race is over. (At least that is what they told me.)

Sounds like a good deal for $10 per month.

Is anybody using it?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Dan Montilion
06-21-2003, 07:25 PM
I'm using the racereplays.com site and have been for a couple of months. The best $10 I have ever spent on a racing info supplement.

Dan Montilion

JustRalph
06-21-2003, 09:08 PM
I used it.....and made a couple of nice scores with it. With broadband you can have it running in another browser window and watch em right up to post time if you see a horse you like.

If I ever start playing as much as I used to, I will use it again. Not enough time right now. Easy 10 bucks if you ask me

MikeDee
06-22-2003, 05:57 AM
If you are referring to the 3 digital Fox sport shannels east, central and west. The west will carry about 2 hours of TVG about 3 or 4 dyas a week and the east will carry about 2 hours of HRTV a couple of days a week. The schedule is real hapazard. nevr know when it's going to be on

race_n_ponys
06-23-2003, 02:10 AM
scott,.....i think i talked a little bit with you before,....but if you ever can get your hands on an older primestar satellite dish, and you can install it............there are 8 channels(2 are grey hound racing though) on the ku band......i think its the g3 galaxy feed. it can be picked up with a dishnetwork receiver/card. basically it is the old trn(the company that went out of buisness with no warning and ripped a buch of people off)......i think they renamed their company rtn(how original)...........well tvg is still a great channel, but it is quite nice having this ku band set up........because there are some tracks that tvg doesnt carry,.........especially gulfstream and santa anita in the spring time.......l8er

JimG
06-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
On that subject, these guys...

http://www.racereplays.com/

...offer "replays" 7 minutes after the race is over. (At least that is what they told me.)

Sounds like a good deal for $10 per month.

Is anybody using it?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Dave,

Easily the best $10 I spend each month.