PDA

View Full Version : When too much information becomes a burden

46zilzal
01-11-2010, 05:10 PM
When is enough TOO much?

The Follow UP vol 87 p. 57. The magazine of the Sartin Methodology

Done, of all people, by the CIA, it offers an experiment in betting.

Eight experienced handicappers were shown a list of 88 variables found on a typical past performance chart….Each handicapper was asked to identify what he considered to be the five MOST important items of information – those he would wish to use to handicap a race with…Each was the asked to select the 10, 20, and 40 most important variables he would use if limited to those levels of information.

At this point, the handicappers were give true data (sterilized so that horses and actual races could not be identified) for 40 past races and were asked to rank the top five horses in each race in order of expected finish. Each handicapper was given data in increments of 5, 10, 20 and 40 variables he judged to be the most useful. Thus, he predicted each race four times—once with each of the four levels of information. For each prediction, each handicapper assigned a value from 0 to 100 percent to indicate degree of confidence in the accuracy of his prediction.

When the handicapper’s predictions were compared with actual outcomes of these 40 races, it was clear that average accuracy of predictions remained THE SAME REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH INFORMATION THE HANDICAPPERS HAD AVAILABLE. (My editing here) Three of the handicappers actually showed LESS accuracy as the amount of information increase, two improved their accuracy, and three were unchanged. All, however, expressed steadily increasing confidence in their judgments as more information was received.

Greyfox
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
When the handicapper’s predictions were compared with actual outcomes of these 40 races, it was clear that average accuracy of predictions remained THE SAME REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH INFORMATION THE HANDICAPPERS HAD AVAILABLE. (My editing here) Three of the handicappers actually showed LESS accuracy as the amount of information increase, two improved their accuracy, and three were unchanged. All, however, expressed steadily increasing confidence in their judgments as more information was received.

The words I've high lighted above have to be your editing.
Obviously, if one has No information, prowess will be low.
Too much info and you'll be overwhelmed. So however many factors one needs is going to have a curvilinear relationship where an optimal predictability is reached.

Essentially, I've found that my predictions are based on 4 factors:
Pace, Speed, Jockey, and Trainer.
I've got them weighted depending on Today's Track Surface and Distance.
I doubt that I could improve predictability by using more variables.

tzipi
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
The more information they give you the more they are trying to mess you up,I have always said.

I have for 15 years been keeping records for what trainers actually do. Here's my point. There's one trainer I know,lets call him trainer A wins with SECOND OFF LAYOFF at a 18% but when its when he drops down 2nd off the layoff he wins at a HUGE percent. His winning % for 2nd off layoff staying at same level or raise in class is SO low. All they give you in the "no actual information" 2nd off the layoff.

Can't go by the record % they give you. Gotta keep your own records IMO. Make good money on my records I keep. One trainer I know has a low blinkers off record percentage but his turf to dirt blinkers off record percentage over the years is AWESOME! :ThmbUp:

Pell Mell
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I can recall the time when I thought I couldn't get enough information. Through the years I refined my play to the point where I only consider a few factors and have been doing very well ever since.

I hate PPs like the DRF or the Bris Ultimate, which are free for this month, because of info overload. I love the Bris condensed version because it has all I need and it saves money. ;)

only11
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
I can recall the time when I thought I couldn't get enough information. Through the years I refined my play to the point where I only consider a few factors and have been doing very well ever since.

I hate PPs like the DRF or the Bris Ultimate, which are free for this month, because of info overload. I love the Bris condensed version because it has all I need and it saves money. ;)
pps are free if your playing with Twinspires,all you need is to make a wager of .10 @ any track you download...

strapper
01-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I do agree with this post. Some people try to decipher too much data to come up with a play. True, we are in the information age but in some ways it was clearer when you worked hard in the old days to gain an edge on others.