PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Merriman

markgoldie
01-11-2010, 03:09 PM
After finishing 3rd in North America for number of wins in 2009, the good young driver, Aaron Merriman, apparently has intentions of driving both at The Meadows and Northfield now that The Meadows has gone to an afternoon card.

IF the Meadows continues throughout 2010 with this schedule and if he stays injury free, I predict here that he will win more races than any other NA driver in 2010.

Canarsie
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
After finishing 3rd in North America for number of wins in 2009, the good young driver, Aaron Merriman, apparently has intentions of driving both at The Meadows and Northfield now that The Meadows has gone to an afternoon card.

IF the Meadows continues throughout 2010 with this schedule and if he stays injury free, I predict here that he will win more races than any other NA driver in 2010.

I respect him as a driver but it's really not saying much. NF used to be a great track and now I don't even download the program and I have an unlimited subscription. Kakaley left for Pompano he's no great shakes down there who will be the competition?

LottaKash
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I think Aaron Merriman is quite an OK driver, he isn't afraid to take chances, and he can rate a horse very well....I don't play drivers who can't rate well... I put my money on him all the time as he a tries to always get his horse in a good position to win.....He is really good off the gate as well...Horses seem to respond to his touch, early-on in a race.... He wil continue do well and be around for a awhile, I think...

best,

LottaKash
01-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I Kakaley left for Pompano he's no great shakes down there who will be the competition?

Canarsie, fwiw, and it's just my way of looking at M Kakaley while he is at Pompano, but he really is in deep with the driving colony there....You got Bruce Ranger, Joe Pavia Jr., Wally Hennessey, and Kevin Wallis, are all drivers who could dominate at most tracks that they would call home....septing maybe the Meadowlands, and even they could do well there with the right connections.....Those drivers I listed have been around for some time now, and I have bet and cashed many times on all of them....

So, it is very hard, I think, to get very established at Pompano, given the other greats who usually get first call on the better horses....

best,

Canarsie
01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Canarsie, fwiw, and it's just my way of looking at M Kakaley while he is at Pompano, but he really is in deep with the driving colony there....You got Bruce Ranger, Joe Pavia Jr., Wally Hennessey, and Kevin Wallis, are all drivers who could dominate at most tracks that they would call home....septing maybe the Meadowlands, and even they could do well there with the right connections.....Those drivers I listed have been around for some time now, and I have bet and cashed many times on all of them....

So, it is very hard, I think, to get very established at Pompano, given the other greats who usually get first call on the better horses....

best,

To a point I agree with you but his mom is based there and has connections. I like the kid lots just don't think he's top ten material along with Stratton. Remember when Grismore set Yonkers on fire look at him now just a second tier driver at best.

While it was only a night or two at Yonkers he had a shot with Burke barn horses and was "schooled" pretty bad. That's one of the top outfits in the country he had good stock to drive.

I like both Merriman and Kakaley but when your racing against the likes of Dan Kennedy, either Kash, Lannie, and that type of colony it's not that hard to string wins together with even mediocre stock. When I used to play there (gave it up about 6 months ago) I loved playing Dan Charlino on Saturday nights what overlays were available with him.

LottaKash
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
To a point I agree with you but his mom is based there and has connections. I like the kid lots just don't think he's top ten material along with Stratton. Remember when Grismore set Yonkers on fire look at him now just a second tier driver at best.

While it was only a night or two at Yonkers he had a shot with Burke barn horses and was "schooled" pretty bad. That's one of the top outfits in the country he had good stock to drive.

I like both Merriman and Kakaley but when your racing against the likes of Dan Kennedy, either Kash, Lannie, and that type of colony it's not that hard to string wins together with even mediocre stock. When I used to play there (gave it up about 6 months ago) I loved playing Dan Charlino on Saturday nights what overlays were available with him.

Still, did I mention, Anthony Napolitano, Ricky Macomber Jr, and Kevein Sizer, as well ?.....Tough track despite Linda's connections....the great ones connections, go way back, and are deep....

Driver-wise...other that M1, there isn't a track anywhere that can boast of that much "driving-talent"...

Tough assignment for Matthew....imo..

And Aaron, he is very tough at the Meadows, another track that has a bunch of talented drivers....He does quite nicely there, and he still can get you double digit, well qualified contenders, to win there...And that is not "just" my opinion...

best,

best,

markgoldie
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't disagree with the argument that Merriman is not facing top driving competition at Northfield. So, judging his ability on the basis of manhandling this crew is not very instructive.

However, the driving crew at The Meadows is quite a different affair. Of course, the King of the Hill is Palone, followed by Hall and Wilder and includes Brett Miller and Eric Ledford. This is a formidable group in which to make inroads. Let's remember that Palone was easily dominant over such drivers as Brian Sears, Dave Miller, and George Brennan when they raced there.

Of all these drivers, Merriman has made the biggest leap forward in the last year, having come from Northfield pretty much stone cold and working for every drive he has gotten. He is, in fact, so live a driver these days that it would not surprise me to see him pass all but Palone in the standings this year.

At any rate, he is an up-and-coming talent in a business where we see very few young men making inroads into the upper levels of the sport. Bartlett, Stratton, and Kakaley come to mind.

Cubbymac26
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
jordan stratton??????? you mean the same driver that gets blanked at monticello and yonkers during double headers??

he is a stiff as far as im concerned,,,give an example king kat anvil 6 weeks in a row he sits in with the horse he is a bottom tier driver at yonkers now that the big boys are driving there what happened to griz holland gregory and the others... only time u see gregory win is the 2nd race trot usually theres a lot of non factors there now

as far as merriman if he ever came east he would get his clock cleaned...

meanwhile pete wrenn is teaching these clowns a little lesson at yr it was only a matter of time before he came back to town from michigan

At any rate, he is an up-and-coming talent in a business where we see very few young men making inroads into the upper levels of the sport. Bartlett, Stratton, and Kakaley come to mind.[/QUOTE]

kernel
01-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Seems from the races I've watched that he has not made adjustment from 1/2 to 5/8 track yet.

Ray2000
01-12-2010, 05:58 AM
The Meadows Jan 11

Palone 0 for 14!

Race Win Ex Tri Driver
1 $6 $15 $75 Richard Stillings
2 $18 $324 $4,099 Brett Miller
3 $31 $301 $978 Aaron Merriman
4 $47 $161 $4,507 Brett Miller
5 $30 $363 $1,211 Brett Miller
6 $8 $28 $103 Mike Wilder
7 $12 $140 $1,140 Aaron Merriman
8 $26 $70 $345 Aaron Merriman
9 $11 $153 $5,476 Brett Miller
10 $10 $19 $55 Mike Wilder
11 $15 $55 $990 Brian Zendt
12 $6 $63 $483 Tony Hall
13 $3 $22 $76 Tony Hall
14 $6 $59 $205 Tony Hall
15 $5 $23 $68 Richard Stillings

Nice prices on Aaron and Brett

Canarsie
01-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Still, did I mention, Anthony Napolitano, Ricky Macomber Jr, and Kevein Sizer, as well ?.....Tough track despite Linda's connections....the great ones connections, go way back, and are deep....

Driver-wise...other that M1, there isn't a track anywhere that can boast of that much "driving-talent"...

Tough assignment for Matthew....imo..

And Aaron, he is very tough at the Meadows, another track that has a bunch of talented drivers....He does quite nicely there, and he still can get you double digit, well qualified contenders, to win there...And that is not "just" my opinion...

best,

best,

I dislike beating on a driver I like but the facts are the facts. He didn't actually tear up Buffalo Raceway if I remember correctly (could be wrong) but did ok. All I'm really saying is NF has become a joke and my nickname at the bar at Yonkers I hang out in was "Mr. Northfield".

Also I would never wish a driver bad not my thing.

Want to hear a quick funny story? A friend of mine is a track announcer and Jackie Ingrassia posted something on his Facebook page. When I replied that she's my favorite and that she had the highest ROI at M1 her reply was "what's ROI'? :lol: Do you think she bets her stock? :eek:

titans1127
01-12-2010, 11:05 AM
jordan stratton??????? you mean the same driver that gets blanked at monticello and yonkers during double headers??

he is a stiff as far as im concerned,,,give an example king kat anvil 6 weeks in a row he sits in with the horse he is a bottom tier driver at yonkers now that the big boys are driving there what happened to griz holland gregory and the others... only time u see gregory win is the 2nd race trot usually theres a lot of non factors there now
Why would you stiff horses that your dad trains? That sounds dumb to me. With King Cat Anvil that horse has has sickness issues and hasn't raced since the end of November after racing poorly more than likely cause of sick/lame issues.

melman
01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Jordan Stratton all last year at Monticello.

Starts 902 Wins 185 20.5%

Jordan Stratton so far this year at Yonkers

Starts 19 Wins 4 21.1%

melman
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Also so far this year at Yonkers driver Greg Grismore winning at 31.1%.

botster
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Jordan Stratton all last year at Monticello.

Starts 902 Wins 185 20.5%

Jordan Stratton so far this year at Yonkers

Starts 19 Wins 4 21.1%

Jordan has the raw ability to be the most likely driver to break into the M1 in the next few years.I remember all these clowns years ago(not you melman):), saying the same exact ignorant statements about George Brennan when he made his way to Yonkers, then again, when he succeeded with his move to "the show".

Jordan won a division of the SUPER BOWL last week at 18-1 and can win again this week. His other drives here have all been good even though he has driven rank outsiders.He comes from a family of very talented horseman, but he has been blessed with the driving talent as well, unlike the remainder of his family who have failed prior.

markgoldie
01-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Got a great response from a seemingly-innocuous little post about Merriman. Looks like we have a lot of strong opinions out there on the relative abilities of drivers.

And so, why not give us your top ten in order? Not track-size specific, just overall driving ability. After some thought, I will post mine.

markgoldie
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Transferring to a separate thread. Use new thread.

melman
01-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Mark--Mine list.

1 Dave Palone
2 Tim Tetrick
3 Brian Sears
4 Dave Miller
5 Ron Pierce
6 George Brennan
7 Catello Manzi
8 Andy Miller
9 Yannick Gingras
10 Daniel Dube

*Best chance for a "new guy" to break in----Jason Bartlett

Canarsie
01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Jordan has the raw ability to be the most likely driver to break into the M1 in the next few years.I remember all these clowns years ago(not you melman):), saying the same exact ignorant statements about George Brennan when he made his way to Yonkers, then again, when he succeeded with his move to "the show".

Jordan won a division of the SUPER BOWL last week at 18-1 and can win again this week. His other drives here have all been good even though he has driven rank outsiders.He comes from a family of very talented horseman, but he has been blessed with the driving talent as well, unlike the remainder of his family who have failed prior.

He can beat me from time to time at M1 he's an auto toss for me. I bet him quite a few times last year swore never again. I do think he's very good on the half but the buck stops there.

Cubbymac26
01-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Why would you stiff horses that your dad trains? That sounds dumb to me. With King Cat Anvil that horse has has sickness issues and hasn't raced since the end of November after racing poorly more than likely cause of sick/lame issues.

why does he sit in with the horse and when they turn for home rages with pace and has no where to go...

and then all the sudden comes first over and blows the field to pieces king kat anvil is a beast jordan just has to cut him loose more often

why he would sit in when your racing for 40 0r 50 k is beyond me