PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom never goes out of style

46zilzal
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Do not believe what you have heard.
Do not believe in tradition because it is handed down many generations.
Do not believe in anything that has been spoken of may times.
Do not believe because the written statements come from some old sage.
Do not believe in conjecture.
Do not believe in authority or teachers or elders.
But after careful observation and analysis, when it agrees with reason and it will benefit one and all, then accept it and live by it.

The Buddha (563 BCE 483 BCE)

Works in handicapping and life for that matter.

ArlJim78
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Its a paradox because if we follow Buddha's advice we have to not believe in him because he represents all of those things that he said to ignore.

johnhannibalsmith
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
"...seems the more I gave, the less I got..."

Show Me the Wire
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
But after careful observation and analysis, when it agrees with reason and it will benefit one and all, then accept it and live by it.

Wow, I shouldn't have believed I would hurt myself if I placed my hand in a roaring fire?

Tom
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Its a paradox because if we follow Buddha's advice we have to not believe in him because he represents all of those things that he said to ignore.

Good point, Grasshopper.

dartman51
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Reminds me of something my Dad use to say a lot, "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see." My problem has been to figure out which half to believe. :confused:

boxcar
01-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Here's a little wisdom for you and Mr. Buddah (who has never particularly impressed me). Mr. Buddah's advice is a wee bit self-defeating for why should I,then, believe what he has to say according to numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

As far as the last sentence goes, how does it help in handicapping when I win someone else's money? How does my winning benefit the losers? I have to think the losers don't feel they were benefited by anything by having less money in their pockets.

Furthermore, what is the "it" in that sentence?

And lastly, there are many, many things in life when that mysterious "it" will only benefit some and not all. (You know how unfair life is, right? :rolleyes: )

So, Mr. Wannabe Sage, your little "pearls of [worldy] wisdom" for the day have about as much worth as last week's newspaper.

Boxcar
P.S. I take that back: Last week's newspaper is still good for lining the bottom of bird cages.

boxcar
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM

No! It's not a paradox. The statements are self-defeating because they're inherently contradictory. Be definition, Paradoxes are not contradictions.

Boxcar

ArlJim78
01-11-2010, 02:04 PM
No! It's not a paradox. The statements are self-defeating because they're inherently contradictory. Be definition, Paradoxes are not contradictions.

Boxcar
Yes! I believe what was posted is contradictory in nature and therefore would be considered a paradox based on the common definition below.

Paradox;
3.any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.

46zilzal
01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes! I believe what was posted is contradictory in nature and therefore would be considered a paradox based on the common definition below.

Paradox;
3.any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
I knew the closed mind of the West would miss the point. SO be it

Show Me the Wire
01-11-2010, 02:20 PM

As you did too.

boxcar
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Paradox;

Ahh...APPARENTLY contradictory. There's a big dif between a real contradiction and an apparent one. Big diff. :)

Self-defeating statements or premises, for example, are inherently contradictory by nature. They are not mere "apparent" contradictions.

Boxcar

boxcar
01-11-2010, 02:38 PM

No, we didn't. We saw the points on your head and Buddah's.

Boxcar
P.S. A mind should not be so open as to let all the rubbish in. ;)

JustRalph
01-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey, I don't have a closed mind........ I love Asian food and order Chinese at least twice a month........................but I do use a fork to eat it..........

what a dick.......... :lol: :lol:

boxcar
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey, I don't have a closed mind........ I love Asian food and order Chinese at least twice a month........................but I do use a fork to eat it..........

Plus your choice of cuisine has the added benefit of proving you're not a racist. :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
My first thought as reading this thread:

I don't believe it!

Reminds me of something my Dad use to say a lot, "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see." My problem has been to figure out which half to believe.

My Dad's version was: "Trust everyone. But always cut the cards."

hcap
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Zen Koan:

Two monks were arguing about the temple flag waving in teh wind. One said, "The flag moves." The other said, "The wind moves." They argued back and forth but could not agree. Hui-neng, the sixth Patriarch,said: "Gentlemen! It is not the flag that moves. It is not the wind that moves. It is your mind that moves."

We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want.
..... Lao Tzu

No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.

Water which is too pure has no fish.

....... Ts’ai Ken T’an

delayjf
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
This whole conversation reminds me of a Star Trek episode. If everything I say is a lie and I tell you that I'm lieing, am I telling the truth. - or something like that. :bang:

Tom
01-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Zen Koan:

Water which is too pure has no xxxx PERCH!

....... Ts’ai Ken T’an

Gottcha!

bigmack
01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
http://bbg-aura.gaia.com/photos/32/314113/large/ZenCrossword.gif

Q: Why don't Buddhists vacuum in the corners?
A: Because they have no attachments.

Q: What did a Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?
A: Make me one with everything. :lol:

Q: What is the name of the best Zen teacher?
A: M.T. Ness

Q: What happens when Zilly becomes totally absorbed with the computer he is working with?
A: He enters Nerdvana. :p

chickenhead
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM

That's why they say "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

Personally, I'd probably just give him the head nod and say "Hey"....but to each his own.

hcap
01-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Zen Koan:

Water which is too pure has no xxxx PERCH!

....... Ts’ai Ken T’an

Gottcha!

.................................................. ..................................................

How to catch a monkey.

There is an old trick, used particularly in India, to catch a monkey. It's a contradiction of sorts, because conventional animal traps seem not to work on the monkey. It seems the little beasts are too clever; their almost prescient nature tends to foil the most elaborate snares.

There is, however, a trap that works because it hinges on a critical flaw in the animal. What you do is take a clay receptacle, or a glass bottle with a narrow neck and substantial weight. Place inside an irresistible treat, (usually a date, or some other piece of fruit) and wait. Along comes one monkey. He smells an easy meal, one that he would be hard pressed to find in the jungle and sticks his hand in grabbing the fruit.

Problem is, as he tries to take his hand out he can’t because he’s made a fist of it, grasping the prize. In most cases, even as his towering, new master looms over him, he will twist and turn but will not release his quarry. It is not that the monkey is of lesser intelligence and, therefore, unable to unravel the complex dynamics of how he has become tethered to this predicament, his single failing that will have him dancing for tourists on a chain on the streets of Mumbai, his critical flaw, is his greed.

Let go of the Perch Tom. You only Gottcha yourself. :lol:

skate
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Hey hey now, lookey here, if you keep up with the crap, people will stop paying attention.

B\\O is the perfect example.

Start using a little Math and some common sense, thanks.

Tom
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
[/CENTER]

Let go of the Perch Tom. You only Gottcha yourself. :lol:

You had better watch out, hicups, your perch is in anger....

hcap
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
I recognize the guy on the RIGHT, but who is the other?
Karl Rove?
Oh wait I got it!

Pan wide.....

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/planetoftheapes/images/4/42/Statue_of_Liberty.JPG

Charlton Heston? :rolleyes:

cj's dad
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Y'all have way too much time on your your hands IMO

hcap
01-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I guess I could be watchin' FOX instead. When does Palin come on?