PDA

View Full Version : NYRA attendance 15,000.

tzipi
01-09-2010, 01:14 AM
I noticed checking Equibase that every year,including a couple days ago,that no matter what the cold temperatures Aqueduct(Calender Day) gets an average of 10,000-15,000. Santa Anita does 10--11,000 on New Years Day in warmer weather. NYRA calender is one of the finest I've seen. It's big and the pictures are so clear. You put out a product and horse race fans will still come. New Years Day card is just claiming races. NYRA should come up with alot of things especially on weekends and then offer more stuff inside so you get the fans out and then keep them there all day. Good promotions,not crappy ones. If they were so dead or no one was paying attention,they would no way get thousands a year. This is why I get mad. They shouldn't just give up and hand over track to racino IMO. They got the fans and 15,000 of them that will travel out to even Aqueduct in 25-30 degree weather for something good. I think are just doing a crappy job in recent years attracting them. I wonder if they ever saw potential in this?

A few New Years Day attendances:
Aqueduct-14,964
Santa Anita-11,695
Golden Gate-4,753
Turf Paradise-2,045

tzipi
01-09-2010, 01:58 AM
The first sentence should say Aqueduct New Years Day(Calender Day). Sorry it's late :D . Finished capping. G'nite all.

Zman179
01-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Never heard of "spinners?"

OTM Al
01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
The calendar wasn't free. You had to redeem a coupon from the program or you could buy up to 6 for $2 each. It's distribution was whole separate from the entrance. Its just a popular day and there really were that many people there that day. I know because I was one.

Zman179
01-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Really? Well then, I consider myself corrected. I know that the calendar is one of their most popular "giveaways", but I didn't think it was THAT popular.

BUD
01-09-2010, 10:30 AM
What is a Spinner?

We Called real pretty girls of small build a Spinner-

I cant imagine the term spinner in racing terms???????

Rise Over Run
01-09-2010, 10:37 AM
What is a Spinner?

Someone that goes in and out of the racetrack (turnstiles) in order to get the giveaways. i.e. "spinning" the turnstiles, or a Spinner.

Space Monkey
01-09-2010, 10:52 AM
We Called real pretty girls of small build a Spinner- :lol:

Good one Bud.

As a born and raised Chowdahead, I will readily admit that New York has the best racing fans in the country. The fact that there are so many problems with the sport there, speaks volumes about the way it is run :ThmbDown:

Zman179
01-09-2010, 10:59 AM
We Called real pretty girls of small build a Spinner

Give those away and you could rename Aqueduct to Happy Valley. :lol:

Spendabuck85
01-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I wasn't there but according to figures I see then the additional people there were not betting.
Friday 1/1 14,964 people bet $954,337
Saturday 1/2 3,242 people bet $716,054

NY BRED
01-09-2010, 11:28 AM
trust me, this is a definite misprint, maybe ,at best 2,500

Aside from Saratoga, Belmont has #'s closer to 10,000 people
as a result of the location and garden/picnic atmosphere during the spring.

BombsAway Bob
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
What is a Spinner?
Bud, here in Fitchburg a guy opened a club named "Spinners"...
Rap on Friday, Reggae on Saturday...
& mucho underage "spinners" to
keep the club hoppin'...
Wonder if "Spinners" is N.E. Bang slang?

the little guy
01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
trust me, this is a definite misprint, maybe ,at best 2,500

Aside from Saratoga, Belmont has #'s closer to 10,000 people
as a result of the location and garden/picnic atmosphere during the spring.

Let's see, I know OTM Al was there. There is certainly proof that I was there.

But we should " trust " you?

Why is it upsetting to people that perhaps there was a decent crowd at the Big A on New Year's Day?

tzipi
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I wasn't there but according to figures I see then the additional people there were not betting.
Friday 1/1 14,964 people bet $954,337
Saturday 1/2 3,242 people bet $716,054

But the point is they have the fans and thousands of them that will go out there. So if you can keep em there to bet with some new ideas,I think we have something. NYRA can still pull out 15,000. That's awesome and alot in todays world.

MickJ26
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I was at Aqueduct on calendar day and the first floor clubhouse was a sea of people. Plus, there's no need for spinners anymore. It used to be when you entered, they gave you a green coupon and if you wanted another, you had to go out and come back in. Now, you enter once and can purchase up to six calendars for $2. each or get one for free with the purchase of a program. The weather was nice and the card was very good that day.

tzipi
01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I was at Aqueduct on calendar day and the first floor clubhouse was a sea of people. Plus, there's no need for spinners anymore. It used to be when you entered, they gave you a green coupon and if you wanted another, you had to go out and come back in. Now, you enter once and can purchase up to six calendars for $2. each or get one for free with the purchase of a program. The weather was nice and the card was very good that day.

Well they had the Interborough 65K stakes in the 3rd and then after that 5 out of the last 6 were claiming races.

PaceAdvantage
01-09-2010, 07:01 PM
trust me, this is a definite misprint, maybe ,at best 2,500Why do people insist on posting senselessly? Even in the face of multiple, previous posts that clearly refute the senselessness?

eastie
01-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Someone that goes in and out of the racetrack (turnstiles) in order to get the giveaways. i.e. "spinning" the turnstiles, or a Spinner.

or also the hippie goddess's who used to spin in aisles during the shows. very cool to watch while tripping on the good.

rastajenk
01-10-2010, 07:30 AM
when you entered, they gave you a green coupon and if you wanted another, you had to go out and come back in. You didn't even need to go back out. If you pay for five admissions (and get five coupons), your going through was one turn, and then you stand there and give it four more turns; hence, the spinning.

It was to make the turnstile count and the money match.

NY BRED
01-10-2010, 07:42 AM
a: My hope is that NYRA, and/or whatever racing body takes over operations
does its due dilligence in improving conditions and the atmosphere to bring in the attendance figures of years ago.

B: If you believe the attendance figures because there was a sea of people downstairs, the handle of 954,00, at least in my opinion, indicates the
attendance figures should be reviewed. By the way, did you happen to be
upstairs where, for the sake of argument the "whales" usually stay?

C: On 1/8/2010 1,812 people attended the Big A and the handle: 454,472.
That same day 5149 were at SA and the handle was 991,026.

So, if you choose to believe 15k people decided to appear on a Friday
to enjoy the races, were they all downstairs,or in the seats enjoying cold weather to bet an incredible card filled with stakes races?

Finally, if you think NYRA is incapable of stretching the truth, review their
current financial condition today, as against their previous optimistic
statement several months ago.

I'm sure I'll catch heat on this post, but I simply am questioning these #'s
in tandem with the track handle

tzipi
01-10-2010, 01:04 PM
a: My hope is that NYRA, and/or whatever racing body takes over operations
does its due dilligence in improving conditions and the atmosphere to bring in the attendance figures of years ago.

B: If you believe the attendance figures because there was a sea of people downstairs, the handle of 954,00, at least in my opinion, indicates the
attendance figures should be reviewed. By the way, did you happen to be
upstairs where, for the sake of argument the "whales" usually stay?

C: On 1/8/2010 1,812 people attended the Big A and the handle: 454,472.
That same day 5149 were at SA and the handle was 991,026.

So, if you choose to believe 15k people decided to appear on a Friday
to enjoy the races, were they all downstairs,or in the seats enjoying cold weather to bet an incredible card filled with stakes races?

Finally, if you think NYRA is incapable of stretching the truth, review their
current financial condition today, as against their previous optimistic
statement several months ago.

in tandem with the track handle

Just check the posts. No one including myself said 15,000 walked in and bet tons all day. The post as about how NYRA can get 15,000 people out there for something,like a calender. Now they have to keep them out there betting all day. If you can get 15,000 out to Aqueduct in the winter,then you got some juice to work with. I'm sure alot of people just came for the calender and didn't bet. The handle compared to the attendance has been discussed numerous times already. Hence,all the "spinners" posts. :)

Let's see Philly Park who got 60,000 in handle during a 10 race card the other day,put out a product and get 15,000. Seriosuly,how are they surviving on those peanut handles? Crazy.

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
in tandem with the track handleAnd you'll deserve every bit of heat you get...what you said in that earlier reply was downright silly...

"2,500 at most"...that's what you stated!!! :lol:

NY BRED
01-11-2010, 05:39 AM
P.A.

Since you want to beat this posting to death, I suppose 12,500
people or more than the usual attendance came to the track
on a day when the temperature was 32 degrees and gladly paid
for gas, tolls ,admission(?) to save the 10.00 advertised
price for the NYRA calendar.

If 7,500 spinners showed up that's a big negative for NYRA
as these "patrons" will make a profit selling these calenders.

If 15,000 actual people showed up with a handle at slightly over 900,000
someone should be looking on how to attract racing fans who have seemingly
fled from this game.

tzipi
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
P.A.

Since you want to beat this posting to death, I suppose 12,500
people or more than the usual attendance came to the track
on a day when the temperature was 32 degrees and gladly paid
for gas, tolls ,admission(?) to save the 10.00 advertised
price for the NYRA calendar.

If 7,500 spinners showed up that's a big negative for NYRA
as these "patrons" will make a profit selling these calenders.

If 15,000 actual people showed up with a handle at slightly over 900,000
someone should be looking on how to attract racing fans who have seemingly
fled from this game.

There's no admission fee for parking or clubhouse entrance at Aqueduct. Also if you're going to Aqueduct from the Island or Queens or Brooklyn,there's no tolls to pay.
Plus calenders are not free. You get a free one with a $3.50 program purchase or as someone said here you can purchase up to 6 of them for $2 each. Don't know how people would make great profits off of 6 calenders they paid for?

OTM Al
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
A lot of people come on the train as well....

ukbro00
01-12-2010, 12:13 AM
I also was there, and it was a very large crowd. I stayed pretty much all day, but didn't bet at all. I mostly go for the love of the sport, not the gambling aspect.

I would assume that a lot of people came to get the calender and leave, but what is more likely is the following:

Attendance measured how many people walked in to the track...Admission is free..People probably got their 6 calendars and then left to put them in their car, so they did not have to carry them around all day. Once they left and then came back, which didn't cost them anything, they count as another person.

The 15,000 is therefore a little inflated, but I can tell you firsthand, it was not empty.