PDA

View Full Version : Closers: What is best Post Position?

jayfree41
01-08-2010, 11:46 PM
For those pace handicappers out there,

this is a silly simple question, but if you are a horse with closer -- come from behind -- tendencies -- what would be your ideal post position? Inside? Middle? Outside? Is it too dependent on what the specific track bias is? Or can we make a general statement that closers are best in the inside to middle posts?

Or does post position not matter for closers?

Or does anyone have stats?

Thanks for your thoughts.

cj
01-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I would say sprint outside, route doesn't matter much but I'd prefer inside.

kenwoodallpromos
01-09-2010, 01:28 AM
I prefer my slow ones on the inside, hopefully will stay closer to the leaders with a shorter distance to go.

Quackfan
01-09-2010, 01:36 AM
For a deep closer post position is irrelevant at any distance on any track. The most important factor is that they need a lot of pace out in front of them.

Space Monkey
01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Depends on the size of the field. If I'm betting a 10-12 horse field and its a short to medium run to the first turn, I don't want the inside where I can get squeezed back and lose stride and ground. Thats something a lot of people don't realize. You're not predetermined to save ground just because you have an inside post. If a wall of faster gate horses close down on you, you have to take back and run a good risk of losing contact with the field. An outside post,,9-12, can also force you to be carried wide on the first turn, or make the jock pull back too much and lose contact in a similar fashion as I described above with inside posts. I like the middle. 3-8.

bisket
01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
i would say i'd want the outside post on just about all occasions if i'm a closer. its not difficult to pick a spot to save ground by the time you hit the turn when your just trying to get over, and not concerned with your position in relation to the leader. another reason you want an outside post is horses tend to relax and gallop easier running outside. horses tend to be much more aggressive early when running inside. although really its not as big a deal for a closer. your not trying to save ground because your afraid distance is a concern. if your a closer your a stamina horse. its very interesting the psychology of different players. handicappers that are mostly speed figure oriented are always concerned with position.

46zilzal
01-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Closers have it all bad and all unpredictable.

If the field is large, there is ALWAYS the spectre of not getting through due to traffic trouble. If the field is small, OFTEN the pace is so slow, they cannot close well on it.

They are COMPLETELY at the mercy of a pace that they have NO say in and that alone makes them very poor wagers most the time on dirt.

Their rider has No choice but to take the lanes that the rest are not using so the best part of the track (if there is on on the day they run) is usually taken by those up front.

Their riders have to make a "best guess" when to move against a pace they are guessing at.

Going around the field is usually the best, but the greatest of moves (Unbridled in the Breeder's Cup Classic) take place between the pacesetters and the rail. FEW can do that well.

Greyfox
01-10-2010, 12:36 PM
but the greatest of moves (Unbridled in the Breeder's Cup Classic) take place between the pacesetters and the rail. FEW can do that well.

:ThmbUp: You nailed it. Some horses will not go between the field and the rail.
Some jockeys can't either.

Trotman
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
In harness we win from 1st or maybe 2nd over,pace is race just be in a position to win. :ThmbUp:

Space Monkey
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
They are COMPLETELY at the mercy of a pace that they have NO say in and that alone makes them very poor wagers most the time on dirt.

True, but by saying "most" do you mean 51% of the time or something like 80% of the time? Either way, thats why I now play the lawn almost exclusively. I consider the grass to be more of a true handicappers game. Cheap speed rarely wins.

WinterTriangle
01-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Zenyatta has won from post 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. I didn't look at every race. There may be a 3 in there somewhere. :)

Look at charts for your favorite closers and you'll decide if post position matters or not.

Closers and stalkers are my favorite running style, since I dislike cheap speed, and if you find the *right* races to wager, they win pretty often, actually.

bisket
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
at a much better price