PDA

View Full Version : Jockey war--is something wrong with me?

Kentucky Bred
06-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Well the Jockey battle is underway in Texas, I guess. Here are the odds.

NTRA All-Star Jockey Championship
Friday, June 20, 2003
Lone Star Park
First race, 6:35PM CT
Competing jocks and M/L odds on each to win

Robby Albarado 15-1
Russell Baze 4-1
Jorge Chavez 15-1
Ryan Fogelsonger 9-2
Eddie Martin Jr 8-1
Richard Migliore 8-1 Edgar Prado 5-1
Jose Santos 15-1
Shane Sellers 12-1
Mike Smith 10-1
Alex Solis 15-1
Pat Valenzuela 8-1

Is there something wrong with me? I generally support almost every racing effort to expand the sport but I don't get this. Anyone of these jockeys can win this "contest" on any given day they have the right horses. If you could equally weigh the horses, then of course the superior jockey would have an advantage. I didn't look at the odds of the horses in each race but I'm sure the low price jocks have the better horses.

A few weeks ago the media was about to make Santos into a god, but now he is tied for the longest shot. Are the odds telling us that, on pure talent, Fogelsonger and Baze are a MUCH better jock that PA Valenzuela? I love Albarado and Chavez. Should they be 15-1? Once again, doesn't it come down to the horses they ride?

I want to understand these events since they are popping up across the country with some regularity. But I don't get it. I guess if it is good for the sport or the non-players who think this is really a contest of talent, it could be good for racing. The jocks seem to go along with it.

I must be missing something.

Kentucky Bred

Pace Cap'n
06-20-2003, 10:21 PM
Per the DRF, it is staged as a charity-benefit to raise money for the Disabled Jockeys Fund.

Suff
06-21-2003, 11:00 AM
and they insured that Most Jocks ran 2 MLO contenders...one middle shot and one long shot. How viable it was...Can't say. But it was a bit entertaining to watch last night. Who was the Jock that did his PUFF DADDY impression? Him I wanted to shoot. The other acts were funny..........mildly.

Kentucky Bred
06-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Prado won at 5-1 odds, I guess. I suppose for charity anything is possible. I would really like to know who IS the top jockey in the country. Not sure this contest is going to define it.

Ps. Suff--I heard Clemons already picked the Yankees for the Hall of Fame. And, of course, that is fair because they don't have many Yankees in the Hall as you know.

Kentucky Bred

Suff
06-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Kentucky Bred

Ps. Suff--I heard Clemons already picked the Yankees for the Hall of Fame. And, of course, that is fair because they don't have many Yankees in the Hall as you know.

Kentucky Bred

I'd like to respond.......But I'm under strict orders from PA to stop talking about the RED SOX and Suffolk downs on every thread.:p

kenwoodall
06-22-2003, 05:15 AM
Baze is not as aggressive since this past winter when he fell off a horse!

Red Sox- I thought that was a horse marking!!