PDA

View Full Version : Lets change it up! 100 things we love..

tzipi
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
About horse racing. With all the bad threads,I think we should have a good thread and a shout out to the great things we love. How about everyone puts down 3 things max until we get down to #1. Can be anything,a horse,a trainer,a moment,a part of racing,etc. I guess you can repeat because it what you love.

100)Cigar
99)The feeling of a horse you bet on winning.
98)The Kentucky Derby.

OTM Al
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Nice.

I would add

Spending the day with board members at Saratoga
Looking for my Derby horse
Florida tracks in the winter time

Tuffmug
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
The 1 1/8 mile all out duel from the start to the wire by Ghostzapper and Saint Liam at Belmont. Impossible!

Midnight Lute twice blasting down the stretch in the BC. Freak shows!

Zenyatta's stretch drives- all of them! More freak shows!

Alphabet Soup winning the BC Classic, pressed every step of the way by Cigar.

Tiznow and Giants Causeway fighting to the wire in the BC. Heart and guts!

Daylami in the BC Turf stretch. What acceleration!

illinoisbred
01-08-2010, 05:44 PM
#1 Arlington Park-a veritable palace. #2 the "old" Fair Grounds-the people and atmosphere that Damon Runyon would appreciate. #3 Black Tie Affair winning the Breeders Cup Classic-I just knew he was good enough-just wish Juvenal Diaz would have ridden him and not Bailey.

Overlay
01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
The view of the San Gabriels in the background at Santa Anita (on a clear day)

The whole Keeneland experience

Distinctive (in a positive way) track announcers / race callers

Ejmenz
01-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Having seen Secretariat's career, I'll never see anything like it again.

Tampa Russ
01-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Breakfast at the track kitchen at Keeneland.

Hanging out at the 1/8th pole picnic grove at Tampa watching workouts as the sun comes up.

Hanging out at the same picnic grove in the afternoon with a cooler full of cold ones....on a warm day...if it ever warms up again!

Greyfox
01-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Opening the Daily Racing Form

Watching a longshot that I bet roll across the wire first.

Collecting at the teller.

miesque
01-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Watching a race and seeing the finish setting up to be exactly what you predicted and getting a precious moment or two to savor it as they charge towards the finish line realizing a lucrative payout is waiting for you once they cross that line.

I need to add the above is even more enjoyable when I am actually at the track when this takes place.

castaway01
01-08-2010, 09:33 PM
1) A great stretch duel between two horses giving their all. Doesn't matter if it's the Derby or a $4000 claimer. Watching equines at their best.

2) Opening up the program/form and seeing my 10-1 ML horse that I love looking great and thinking how much I (might) will make later in the day.

chickenhead
01-08-2010, 09:33 PM
the few seconds from when the last horse loads in the gate until the gate springs in some big races. The anticipation of (possibly) seeing an epic performance, and connecting with whatever it is inside of us that connects with.

Robert Goren
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
going to the races with my dad and meeting all his racing friends. I miss them all.

CincyHorseplayer
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I love my mom.

I love my daughter.

I love watching horses on my tickets cross the wire.

I bet only the Preakness(easy money exacta) but loved the 3 big horses this year.

I love all of you.

I love this game!!

tzipi
01-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Ok,I guess my #100 countdown list and 3 things max failed :D Oh well.

CincyHorseplayer
01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Oops.I jumped the gun.

1)the game itself,period.

2)The Kentucky Derby

3)Seeing history.Being on track.Relationships formed because of.

This is a good thread.Had a hard time nailing down individual points of meaningfulness.Just being "In the game" and around people that love it is key.When the seasons change it always imbues your reality with meaning looking forward to the game being there for you.

All right I'm Chester Cheetah.You NY boys say what??Fughettaboudit!!!

Jets are going down tommorrow BTW.:cool:

tzipi
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
No I'm just having fun Cincy. Everyones listed some great things :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
The 1 1/8 mile all out duel from the start to the wire by Ghostzapper and Saint Liam at Belmont. Impossible!

I'll never forget that one. 1st P4 I ever hit and I had them both. St Liam piad $500 and Ghostzapper paid $50 which gave me a net loss of about $4 on the wager.

johnhannibalsmith
01-08-2010, 10:31 PM
3) Having a pocket full of cash for the first and a pocket full of lint after the ninth and feeling like I got my money's worth.

2) Having just enough money for cigarettes and lunch after training hours and then forsaking lunch so I can eat steak for dinner after catching the early double, which parlayed into the winners of the third, fourth, sixth, eighth and ninth.

1) The smell of the backside from inside the car while a half-mile away after spending far too long away from where I belong.

turfnsport
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Jockey fights.

Horseplayersbet.com
01-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Hitting a superfecta off a winner that pays more than $50 to win.
Being live in a win 4 where no public top 3 choices won any leg so far.

sandpit
01-08-2010, 10:57 PM
1. Being on the turf course rail at the Hollywood finish line when Cesario won the American Oaks. I've been attending the races for 40 years, and have never seen a horse with such power and grace.

2. The first time my uncle took me to the Churchill Downs jocks' room when I was just a little boy. I was hooked right there.

3. Meeting Charlie Whittingham.

DanG
01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
A couple similar incidents come to mind…

1. Seeing Easy Goer rear in front of the GP grandstand on his way to school before his first 3yo start. Going down to the walking ring and it seemed a woman next to me and myself were the only ones who were aware who ‘this’ was. She turned to me having never met and said…”can you feel the vibes…he’s one of the ones.”

2. Watching Seattle Slew rear entering the Belmont walking ring before his Triple Crown bid. He let out a bloodcurdling yell like the stud he turned out to be and the rest is history.
http://www.racehorsebook.com/SeattleSlew.jpg

3. 3rd is being grateful for encouragement at key times in a game that can overwhelm with bitter negativity.

Robert Goren
01-08-2010, 11:38 PM
The best race I ever saw in person was Vale of Tears setting the world record for 6f at Aksarben in the late 60s. He look like he had a jet pack for a jockey. I love watching really fast races.:)

Grits
01-08-2010, 11:40 PM
3. Meeting Charlie Whittingham.

Sandpit, Charlie's widow, Peggy, lives a block down from me. She and her sister. If I see her anytime soon, I'll tell her about your post to this thread. She'll smile.

With the thread I'd note:

1. Saratoga and Belmont afternoons with friends

2. Unearthing longshots.

3. Sitting in a box on the finish line watching the horse I was there for, the one I backed--circle the field, moving from last to first, winning the 2001 Kentucky Derby.

4. Agreeing with Dan on his 3rd note above.

Trotman
01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Things that will always be with me and I can't put a number on them because there all special. Was watching
Northern Dancer win the 64 Derby,the little guy just would not let Hill Rise get by. :ThmbUp:
Following Secretariat around track to track in his 3 yr old season ending in Toronto on a cold dark rainy day at Woodbine in The Canadian International. :ThmbUp:
And being at Mohawk to see Somebeachsomewhere win the
North America Cup,after the race the whole track was cheering as they came back to the winner circle. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
01-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Watching a trainer grab a jockey by the silks and hold him about a foot off the ground while telling if ever he stiffed another one his horses he would ......

Trotman
01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
RG you break me up! :lol: you should be on TV

tzipi
01-09-2010, 12:03 AM
I'll also to my list:

Working for numerous trainers over the years. Can't beat early mornings at the track with the horses at dawn.

jballscalls
01-09-2010, 12:13 AM
5) Cesario turning for home and pouring it on!
4) The sound of the thundering hooves as they pass by you in the stretch (on dirt, polytrack you can't hear the thunder)
3) That unlike football, you dont have to wait a week to get to the next game/match, the next race is just 25 to 30 minutes away depending on jurisdiction.
2) Getting to announce these great animals and be just a little part of the game
1) sitting on my dad's shoulders on the rail at Longacres, memories of those days are fading, but they are still there, and i hope they never leave.

Greyfox
01-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Watching a trainer grab a jockey by the silks and hold him about a foot off the ground while telling if ever he stiffed another one his horses he would ......

(Au contraire: Most jockeys I know are quite strong and more capable of grabbing a trainer by the nose and holding him a foot or so off the ground, if the above would happen.)

Robert Goren
01-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I can not remember the name of the trainer, But the jockey was Ray Correa.

only11
01-09-2010, 09:20 AM
watching a superstar 2 year old in his debut at saratoga and durkin saying"here indeed is a superstar'

johnhannibalsmith
01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I can not remember the name of the trainer, But the jockey was Ray Correa.

Poor old Ray died a couple of years back... I must say, there's something fairly amusing about the thought of tiny little Ray getting assaulted...

boomman
01-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Poor old Ray died a couple of years back... I must say, there's something fairly amusing about the thought of tiny little Ray getting assaulted...

Leave it to you John to be amused by someone beating up little Ray Correa who was in fact, knee high to a grasshopper;) ! RIP Ray (was always a really nice guy to me)

My 3 favorite memories:

1) 1984 INAUGURAL Breeder's Cup Classic at Hollywood Park. Will never forget the roar of the crowd that day as me and 60,000 of my closest friends cheered on Wild Again, Slew of Gold and Gate Dancer to the wire with Day, Cordero and Pincay aboard. And that great memory is DESPITE being DQ'd out of the exacta box of Wild Again and Gate Dancer (who was Dq'd from 2nd to 3rd):mad: Ouch! :D

2) 1970's? At the old Ak-Sar-Ben in Omaha, Nebraska when Summer Advocate edged out SunCatcher to capture the Cornhusker Handicap and jockey Kenny Jones actually kissed the horse on the LIPS in the winner's circle!:D

3) And last but certainly not least, viewing a triple dead heat from the apron at Lincoln, Nebraska again circa late 70's early 80's? and the absolute joy and adventure of leaving my hometown of Kansas City, Ks on Saturday mornings @ 3:30 am to get to Lincoln in time to see the ENTIRE racecard that began (believe it or not) at 8AM on Saturday mornings when The Huskers had a home football game later that afternoon!!

Boomer

johnhannibalsmith
01-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Boom...

I'll never forget old Ray had a horse in the fifth or sixth at Turf one day and I was going to help in the paddock saddling and whatnot...

If you knew Ray, he went into the kitchen every morning after training and slept there off and on all day until it was time to do chores or get one ready to go.

I was sitting across from him betting the races (with Alex H. in all likelihood) and Ray was dozing off and coming to and dozing off and coming to...

So, it's about time for the first race and I lower my voice and bellow out in Ray's direction:

"Attention horsemen! Get your horses ready for the sixth race, get 'em ready for race number SIX!"

With that, Ray jumps up as fast as his little body could and scrambled out the door, onto his miniature pink bicycle, peddling like the wind... and I was chasing him out the door...

"Ray, Ray... I was kidding... Ray...."

I had to sprint all the way to K1 to tell him that the guy on the PA had messed up and it was only time for the second...

I don't think I ever felt so awful while simultaneously crying from laughter.

Good old Ray.

Robert Goren
01-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Leave it to you John to be amused by someone beating up little Ray Correa who was in fact, knee high to a grasshopper;) ! RIP Ray (was always a really nice guy to me)

3) And last but certainly not least, viewing a triple dead heat from the apron at Lincoln, Nebraska again circa late 70's early 80's? and the absolute joy and adventure of leaving my hometown of Kansas City, Ks on Saturday mornings @ 3:30 am to get to Lincoln in time to see the ENTIRE racecard that began (believe it or not) at 8AM on Saturday mornings when The Huskers had a home football game later that afternoon!!

Boomer I had forgotten about the Triple Dead Heat. I saw it too. Lincoln was pretty nice place for racing in the 70s. They have really let place go. I think 2012 is it last year as UNL has taken over the fair grounds. There is talk of a new track being built. No one has any idea where the money is going to come from. Aksarben in the late 60s was about as good as it gets. It was a lot like what Oaklawn is now.

boomman
01-09-2010, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=johnhannibalsmith]Boom...

I'll never forget old Ray had a horse in the fifth or sixth at Turf one day and I was going to help in the paddock saddling and whatnot...

If you knew Ray, he went into the kitchen every morning after training and slept there off and on all day until it was time to do chores or get one ready to go.

I was sitting across from him betting the races (with Alex H. in all likelihood) and Ray was dozing off and coming to and dozing off and coming to...

So, it's about time for the first race and I lower my voice and bellow out in Ray's direction:

"Attention horsemen! Get your horses ready for the sixth race, get 'em ready for race number SIX!"

With that, Ray jumps up as fast as his little body could and scrambled out the door, onto his miniature pink bicycle, peddling like the wind... and I was chasing him out the door...

"Ray, Ray... I was kidding... Ray...."

I had to sprint all the way to K1 to tell him that the guy on the PA had messed up and it was only time for the second...

I don't think I ever felt so awful while simultaneously crying from laughter.

John: Hysterical!:D Brings to mind a very similar prank that was pulled on a steward when I was calling the races at the old San Juan Downs in Farmington, NM many years ago (Now SunRay Park) The announcer booth there is right next to the Stewards and they had a really nice comfortable couch and chairs in there where we often sat and visited between races. Anyway, one of the stews Keith Hilaman, had a habit of dozing off on that couch often, so that day one of the other stewards, Jim Parsley noticed this and said to all of us (while Keith was dozing with his head drooped over the couch) watch this: I'll preface this by telling you that Keith was in charge of alerting the outrider to load the horses....... Anyway, it's about 8 minutes to post and Jim says loud enough that Keith could hear him (and that had to be pretty loud) "ok guys, ready to load"? and Keith suddenly wakes up, grabs the radio without even looking at the board, and says to the outrider "ok Outrider LOAD EM"!! The poor outrider, (Earl Sullivan) almost fell off his horse!! He calls back on the radio: "Excuse me judge, "Did you say Load 'em????? We were crying!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

Robert Goren
01-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Terry Wallace

boomman
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I had forgotten about the Triple Dead Heat. I saw it too. Lincoln was pretty nice place for racing in the 70s. They have really let place go. I think 2012 is it last year as UNL has taken over the fair grounds. There is talk of a new track being built. No one has any idea where the money is going to come from. Aksarben in the late 60s was about as good as it gets. It was a lot like what Oaklawn is now.

Yep, I I literally cried the day they tore Ak-Sar-Ben down. Growing up in Kansas City, I went there and to Oaklawn often. In fact, Ak-Sar-Ben used to run a 66 day summer meet beginning the 1st Friday in May, and one summer I drove it (180 miles each way) all but about 3 days of the meet. I knew every INCH of 1-29 and that STUPID 55 mile an hour speed limit!!!!! As for Lincoln, I met the new GM at the symposium in Tucson and his boss Greg Hosch (better known as "Hajoy") is a good friend of mine...........

Boomer

boomman
01-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Terry Wallace

I started going to Ak-Sar-Ben in the summer of 1974 when I was getting set to start my senior year in High School. Terry Wallace was there EVEN then! I believe he then started @ Oaklawn in the winter of 1975 and of course, has been there ever since. I know Terry well, a GREAT guy and has a super boss in Lou Cella.........:ThmbUp:

Boomer

joanied
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I saw this thread a while back, and thought...how cool is this...but never found the time to post...maybe some others can also jump in, because this is a great way to recall all the good things about racing.

I am far removed from the race tracks, it's been decades since I had to leave my job at Belmont Park...although at the time, I thought I was just relocating to another track...a simple twist of fate changed that for me...but, I've been involved in this wonderful thing we call horse racing since Carry Back won the Kentucky Derby.

I just love the sport, the horses, the people...the folks on the backside...
There is nothing better than arriving at the barn at 5am...the light is low, the only sounds come from inside the stalls...the sounds of the horses moving in their stalls, the whisper of a few whinnies as the horses realize someone is there, the sun just breaking through the windows in the barn, the smells of leather, hay and horses...
entering a stall of one of your horses and saying good morning...and the feel of their body under my hand.

Watching one of my charges going around the walking ring before heading out for the morning work...all dappled, clean and shiny, dancing along, hip swinging...

Saratoga mornings...the chill and the mist, the peace and the quiet...and that first morning when you arrive and see that the Deer made good use of the stalls for their winter beds.

The race track kitchen...and the smell of coffee in the air....especially Liz's kitchen (mostly for the trainers)...the coffee was great!
Red's truck coming around every morning...loaded with donuts...yum!

The color and excitment of the races...the fun I had between races, making my bets and rubbing elbows with some wonderful characters...walking over to the Grandstand from the barn, under the tunnel and into that gorgeous paddock.
At Hialeah, sitting in the empty grandstand after the mornings work, sippin' coffee and just relaxing, watching the Flamingo's...and seeing them, every morning, make their flight over the barns.

Standing at the rail and hearing the thunder of hooves, jockeys chirping and yelling, feeling the rush.

All the great horses...many of whom still can bring me to tears...it's the emotion that drives you to allow yourself to get swepted away...I can't think of another sport who's athletes can bring you to tears...

Ridan & Jaipur in a head and head battle for 1 1/4 miles, Forego running on guts in the slop to win the Marlboro, Ruffian's black blur crossing the finish line...Secretariat..."He's moving like a tremendous machine"...sobs of joy and wonder...Cigar, Tiznow's will to win..."Tiznow win's it for America"...Personal Ensign, Go for Wand, well, the list goes on forever...and, my old friend Foolish Pleasure, running his heart out, determination written on his face, getting to the wire just before Forego in the Suburban...Dr. Fager, freaky fast, the epic battle between Curlin and Rags to Riches, the crushing blow when Silver Charm and then Real Quiet got beat in the Belmont...
my time in Ocala at the horse farm...when I first laid hands on a new born foal...being there for the birth of a Thoroughbred is a miracle...and one I never tired of, or took for granted...being with mare & foal, seeing a life begin, watching her take her first look at baby, nickering to him, and his tiny nicker back...your heart soars.

What do I love about Thoroughbred racing...everydamnedthing:jump: :jump: :jump:

sandpit
01-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Sandpit, Charlie's widow, Peggy, lives a block down from me. She and her sister. If I see her anytime soon, I'll tell her about your post to this thread. She'll smile.

Thanks, Grits. I would appreciate it as well. I met him one morning during Derby Week in 1994. I think that might have been his final trip to Louisville. I was standing with him and Buck Wheat, CD's legendary horsemens' relations director. Mostly I was just soaking it all in, thinking how lucky I am to be in this very spot. Charlie had brought Strodes Creek to CD. His horse ran a great race, but couldn't catch a loose on the lead Go For Gin.

ENT222
01-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Backside at Saratoga
hearing Tom Durkin say "Have a good day at the Big A"
being alive to a pick 4 where you're the only ticket for a particular horse
visiting the winners circle

46zilzal
01-13-2010, 12:43 AM
November 1985, and November 1988 are on par with what the faithful might consider an audience with the pope, as that is when I took the photo here of Red cribbing on the fence at Claiborne. Not much to top that except for Mrs. Tweedy writing me a hand written letter thanking me for the 8 x 10 of the same I sent her after his death.

Being at the wire and getting a great shot of the inaugural Breeder's Cup Classic. Twenty minutes adjudicating two foul claims too.

Walking into Churchill and going to the Kentucky Derby Museum.

Chasing foals around paddocks every Spring and feeding them peppermints.

Standing in the winner's circle 30 times a week happily greeting the joy of the winning connections.

Riding in the start car at the harness races.

Helping those who really want to learn the game.

Joking with Laz Barrera at Anita. I was carrying a shot I took of Affirmed and asked him : "Sir would you do me the honor of signing a shot of ONE OF YOUR BETTER trainees?" He quiped back with a grin: "Give me a barn full of them like that one."

After my wife died, being one of the few in that OTB who remembered the dark dark colt (War Emblem) she had picked to win it earlier in the year. With my good friend Alvin along with me, I can recall shouting, "If he gets to the 6 furlong mark in 1: 11 2/5 or slower, we are home free." That year I missed having our Kentucky Derby ritual in front of the tube having a picnic on the floor as we did every year for over two decades.

Feeling that same old feeling if I walk into Columbus Texas, Fort Erie, Ferndale, Woodbine, Rillito or Emerald Downs......It is akin to putting on comfortable shoes. I never feel the same way anywhere else on this planet.

proximity
01-13-2010, 01:36 AM
*the drive to the track. especially if it's a well deserved trip to ct..... letting that classic country music drift into my car radio and feeling like i've gone back in time whenever i cross the potomac.....

*the calm before the storm. walking through the racino to the track with my pps. seeing other "regulars" and sipping a fresh cup of track coffee while getting settled in. the anticipation of what the night could bring....

*cashing winners. creatively cursing losers and their jockeys. patting myself on the back for passing races....

*closing down a clubhouse or simulcast area and heading to the racino bar to sip on a drink (or two) and start looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.....

Skanoochies
01-13-2010, 01:48 AM
What a great post Joanie D, don`t even need pictures, I can cojure up my own just from your descriptions. :ThmbUp:

I saw this thread a while back, and thought...how cool is this...but never found the time to post...maybe some others can also jump in, because this is a great way to recall all the good things about racing.

I am far removed from the race tracks, it's been decades since I had to leave my job at Belmont Park...although at the time, I thought I was just relocating to another track...a simple twist of fate changed that for me...but, I've been involved in this wonderful thing we call horse racing since Carry Back won the Kentucky Derby.

I just love the sport, the horses, the people...the folks on the backside...
There is nothing better than arriving at the barn at 5am...the light is low, the only sounds come from inside the stalls...the sounds of the horses moving in their stalls, the whisper of a few whinnies as the horses realize someone is there, the sun just breaking through the windows in the barn, the smells of leather, hay and horses...
entering a stall of one of your horses and saying good morning...and the feel of their body under my hand.

Watching one of my charges going around the walking ring before heading out for the morning work...all dappled, clean and shiny, dancing along, hip swinging...

Saratoga mornings...the chill and the mist, the peace and the quiet...and that first morning when you arrive and see that the Deer made good use of the stalls for their winter beds.

The race track kitchen...and the smell of coffee in the air....especially Liz's kitchen (mostly for the trainers)...the coffee was great!
Red's truck coming around every morning...loaded with donuts...yum!

The color and excitment of the races...the fun I had between races, making my bets and rubbing elbows with some wonderful characters...walking over to the Grandstand from the barn, under the tunnel and into that gorgeous paddock.
At Hialeah, sitting in the empty grandstand after the mornings work, sippin' coffee and just relaxing, watching the Flamingo's...and seeing them, every morning, make their flight over the barns.

Standing at the rail and hearing the thunder of hooves, jockeys chirping and yelling, feeling the rush.

All the great horses...many of whom still can bring me to tears...it's the emotion that drives you to allow yourself to get swepted away...I can't think of another sport who's athletes can bring you to tears...

Ridan & Jaipur in a head and head battle for 1 1/4 miles, Forego running on guts in the slop to win the Marlboro, Ruffian's black blur crossing the finish line...Secretariat..."He's moving like a tremendous machine"...sobs of joy and wonder...Cigar, Tiznow's will to win..."Tiznow win's it for America"...Personal Ensign, Go for Wand, well, the list goes on forever...and, my old friend Foolish Pleasure, running his heart out, determination written on his face, getting to the wire just before Forego in the Suburban...Dr. Fager, freaky fast, the epic battle between Curlin and Rags to Riches, the crushing blow when Silver Charm and then Real Quiet got beat in the Belmont...
my time in Ocala at the horse farm...when I first laid hands on a new born foal...being there for the birth of a Thoroughbred is a miracle...and one I never tired of, or took for granted...being with mare & foal, seeing a life begin, watching her take her first look at baby, nickering to him, and his tiny nicker back...your heart soars.

What do I love about Thoroughbred racing...everydamnedthing:jump: :jump: :jump:

JustRalph
01-13-2010, 01:49 AM
Watching your Front Runner hit the front and hang on at huge odds. You are engaged the whole way.......especially when the other jocks let him have an easy lead.............

Turning to my Dad at the 1/2 of the 2002 Derby and saying

" They let him get away with 47, it's over"

Playing horses from 11a to Midnight with my Dad on his last Breeders Cup day....We ended playing Balmoral if my memory serves me right.

Watching the offspring of horses I rooted for just a few years ago, start it all over again.........

And of Course the Horses............even the little known ones that produced big scores

War Emblem-Grammarian-Magic Weisner-Western Pride-Rockmill Two (my first decent score) and Diplomat Lady or was it Lady Diplomat?

v j stauffer
01-13-2010, 01:57 AM
" Feeling " the sound from the crowd when Zenyatta swept past.

" Seeing" the fans with their Girl Power posters hoping for just a glimpse in the paddock.

" Humbling " the feeling I get when I realize I was given the privledge of calling 6 of her 14 races.

ManeMediaMogul
01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
War Emblem-Grammarian-Magic Weisner-Western Pride-Rockmill Two (my first decent score) and Diplomat Lady or was it Lady Diplomat?

Kellyn Gorder trained Grammarian at 505 Farm in Lexington. The day he won the Grade 1 at Hollywood Park, I took a bunch of bets out to the Keeneland drive-thru for the 505 crew, since the conventional wisdom on the farm was that he couldn't get beat, even though he was maybe 30-1 on the line.

My girlfriend and I watched the race on TVG at Ramsey's Bar. We were high-fivin' and hugging and generally going crazy after his victory. We then hopped in the car and drove back to Keeneland. They had to call the money room to pay me off and the teller offered me a security guard to get us back to the car.

It was an important victory for so many reasons and so many people and day I will always remember.

Jackal
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Any day at FG is a great day for me. It makes me wonder why I live in NC. Well, until I ride around N.O. and see why I live in NC. At least no one is fighting for a job mowing lawns in NC.

1st time lasix
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
for a player....that twenty minutes of anticipation between seeing the "will pays" on that pick four or pick six ticket when you have already beaten a couple of favorites in the sequence. For the fan...being emotionally involved watching that run down the stretch when your entry is battling for the lead giving it all for the win. For the owner...that thrill of that maiden special win when you really had no idea what you really have For the human experience-the friends you make, the laughs you have, the admiration you develop for the athlete and the memories you share

maxwell
01-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Watching my mom rooting home her two grey DD winners to the tune of $200+ dollars ... decent $ in the '70's. She was a complete sucker for greys.

Rooting my cousin down to the wire on his first winner ... in the pouring rain.

Getting caught up in the excitement and hoopla of Cigar's winning streak.

joanied
01-13-2010, 08:25 PM
What a great post Joanie D, don`t even need pictures, I can cojure up my own just from your descriptions. :ThmbUp:

Thanks :blush: :) Skanoochies... I could wax poetic all day long about racing...just wish they were'nt ALL memories:(

NJ Stinks
01-14-2010, 01:58 AM
1. Preakness Weekend every year. I love Pimlico.

2. In the '80's my Preakness Weekend was extended. Here's the travel itinerary:
Thursday night - Garden State Park
Friday - Pimlico and then Rosecroft
Saturday - Pimlico and then Brandywine
Sunday - Belmont
Monday - Philly Park

3. The first time I went to Belmont. I was sure I walked into heaven. (Unfortunately, Forego lost the Marlboro Cup that day.)

4. Going to Gulfstream with my Dad in the late '90's.

5. The first time I entered a racebook in Vegas - another heavenly experience long before simulcasting at race tracks began.

6. A night of greyhound racing at Romford (on the outskirts of London).

7. BC days every year.

8. Opening day at Saratoga although I've never actually been there on opening day.

9. Sharing a magical day at Brighton with buddies last fall.

10. I'm with Greyfox. Opening the Daily Racing Form is still thrilling.

Obviously, I could go on. :blush:

Stillriledup
01-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Rachel Alexandra. Best horse ever.

GARY Z
01-14-2010, 05:44 AM
watching your horse breeze at Belmont and the Oklahoma track at SAR
breakfast at MTH kitchen

leaving SAR after the 10th race on a winning note(rare event) :)

fmolf
01-14-2010, 12:09 PM
1)smell of blooming flowers in the springtime, in the backyard at belmont,sipping coffe an handicapping the card.....A little slice of what heaven must be like!

2)A two horse stretch duel when you have only these two boxed in a $20 exacta

3)Following then handicapping/betting the preps and and the kentucky derby,s well as the preakness and belmont.

4)the breeders cup races whenever there run on good ole dirt!

Stillriledup
03-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Terry Wallace's calls.

;)

andymays
03-14-2011, 03:40 AM
A really good corned beef sandwich kind of makes the day.

I used to love walking around the track and seeing guys like Jack Klugman walking around the track. He totally looked like Oscar Madison most of the time. Just having fun being there without wearing some kind of Armani suit.

In the olden days (20 years and older) you have to love the characters at the track. I had one good friend who was so stubborn once he had his mind made up that was it. It must have been 25 years ago we're at Agua Caliente and they had the future book odds up. He goes up and bets on a horse that I know died the day before. I tell him the horse died the day before and what does he do? He goes an puts more money on it. That's how stubborn he was.

offtrack
03-14-2011, 08:12 AM
I loved it at Saratoga, after the last race of the day, and I go to cash my tickets. The teller looks at the total, looks at this cash drawer and says- "Stay here I have to go get more money."

JohnGalt1
03-14-2011, 04:08 PM
1) Attending live races at Canterbury Park. I sit outside in warm breezes and watch all races whether I have a bet in a race or not. And not play simulcast races until the live card is over, letting the crowd go home.

2) Winning the pick 6 at Bay Meadows on the last day Paul Allen called the races there, while playing at The Sahara (RIP) in Las Vegas with my parents showing up to watch the last race. After going 5 of 6 trying for Santa Anita's $2M pool.

3) At home watching the Breeder's Cup every year. The anticipation of what one winning race result could do. For me the super in the first of two Tiznow Classic wins. And having to wait more than 5 minutes to settle photo finishes for second/third and fourth/fifth. If either went against me, I don't collect.

TommyCh
03-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Immersing yourself in a full day(s) of quality racing, a la Breeders Cup Day, Derby weekend, Dubai Gold Cup day and even Travers Day. One good race right after another.

Any day at the track.

appistappis
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
everything secretariat.
cracking open a new form every evening
chantel sutherland. :blush:

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2011, 03:20 AM
Terry Wallace's calls.

;)You're a strange, strange, strange Internet personality....(and it has nothing to do with Terry Wallace's calls)

speldedo
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
1. Eddie Delahoussaye coming from the back of the pack
2. Goldikova in the Breeder's Cup
3. Saturday mornings with a cup of a coffee and a stack of past performances to go through.

fiveouttasix
03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Seeing the Horse I like in the Post Parade looking ready!

Saratoga...It's the Races plus the atmosphere.

Kentucky Derby Day

SmartyParty
03-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Wow! A POSITIVE thread! Love it!

1. Clockers' Corner

2. Zenyatta and her classy connections

3. Savvy fans at Keeneland

4. Michael Wrona's wit

5. Ben & Jerry's chocolate ice cream at The Spa

6. Morning workouts at The Spa

7. The backside tours at Saratoga

8. Cookie, the paddock judge, at Monmouth

9. The downhill turf course at The Great Race Place!

10. Wasserman winning the Longacres Mile

You said TEN, right?!

SmartyParty
03-15-2011, 11:35 PM
#11 Talking to Hall of Fame trainer Ron McAnally about John Henry as the sun comes up at Santa Anita!

SmartyParty
03-15-2011, 11:40 PM
A couple similar incidents come to mind…

1. Seeing Easy Goer rear in front of the GP grandstand on his way to school before his first 3yo start. Going down to the walking ring and it seemed a woman next to me and myself were the only ones who were aware who ‘this’ was. She turned to me having never met and said…”can you feel the vibes…he’s one of the ones.”

2. Watching Seattle Slew rear entering the Belmont walking ring before his Triple Crown bid. He let out a bloodcurdling yell like the stud he turned out to be and the rest is history.
http://www.racehorsebook.com/SeattleSlew.jpg

3. 3rd is being grateful for encouragement at key times in a game that can overwhelm with bitter negativity.

Wow! To have seen Slew do that! How lucky were you!

5k-claim
03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
In no particular order...

* Taking the picture (the more people the merrier!) instead of walking off dejected with a final, desperate glance at the toteboard to verify (as if it needed to be one last time) that our number is nowhere to be found

* The sound of our group's laughter and excitement when the horse gets back after the gallop out- instead of having to hear some other group celebrate while ours stands in deafening silence

* Walking off the track after the race, the PROUD moment of turning "left" towards the Test Barn instead of "right" towards the Receiving Barn to cool out

* Loaded up and ready to ship back home being too excited after a good performance to even think about sleeping (no 5-hour Energy drinks necessary!) instead of being too tired, cold and depressed after a "dud" to even imagine being able to stay awake for the entire drive back (damn, it's going to be a long one, and the other guy will want to blast the heater the whole way)

* Having someone ask "Where can we go next?!" instead of "So what happened, is the horse alright?"

* Safely into the paddock, tattoo checked, saddled, rider up and handed off to the pony (job is done!)- followed by walked right into the gate and standing quiet (won't be on any list!); instead of putting on an embarrassing and dangerous show in the paddock ("doesn't anybody work with this horse?") or acting up in the gate

* The look in the horse's eye after a win, and how "strong" they feel- or at least how strong they make you feel

* Remembering exactly what it feels like to WIN, even when stuck LOSING for a while

johnhannibalsmith
03-16-2011, 07:05 PM
... with a final, desperate glance at the toteboard to verify (as if it needed to be one last time) that our number is nowhere to be found

No matter how hard you try, it's just impossible to make that walk to the gap without looking. Great call. :lol:

horses4courses
03-16-2011, 07:40 PM
(1) Coming to realize, within the past 5 years or so, that EVERYTHING horse racing, from all over the world, is now at my finger tips on a laptop.

(2) Enjoying the freedom that ADWs have brought about. Doing some chores around the house, as I plan a day off around 2 great cards at Saratoga and Del Mar. Then, sipping a cold one on the patio as a Del Mar card winds down.

(3) Great memories of talented horses, and riders, in the heat of battle.
Whether it's an Affirmed/Alydar showdown, or Nijinsky being brilliant, or a Lester Piggott or Chris McCarron winning a big race - it's all been amazing!

5k-claim
03-16-2011, 07:40 PM
No matter how hard you try, it's just impossible to make that walk to the gap without looking. Great call. :lol:Yep. It's like trying to walk past a wreck without looking...

I guess it's part of the psychological process of accepting what just happened.

teebs
03-17-2011, 04:53 AM
2003 Kentucky Derby: I just started working at Canterbury Park and it was the first Derby that I had seen and had a customer bet Peace Rules for me. I gave him $2 for a win bet and he gave me a WPS ticket back and said "I pitched in some $ for you in case he doesn't win but still hits the board". I knew I was hooked.

2006 Kentucky Derby: Barbaro was my first derby winner I just knew he was going to win that I bet $5 across the board (that was a big bet for me) on him and I had him in the future wager too.

Meeting my wife at the track: she was one of my co-workers.

2009 Arlington Million: First major race to watch in person. Arlington is an amazing place

Kentucky Derby stretch runs: I always get super stoked even if my horse doesn't stand a chance.

Taking my daughter to CBY on a live racing day.

Robert Goren
03-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Rooting home a horse at the top of my voice that came from the clouds to cash a $2 ticket knowing that someplace close is someone who bet a thousand on the front runner and is cursing me with his every breathe.

GaryG
03-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Taking my wife to Lexington for a week not long after we were married. She got to see the electricity at Keeneland and tour several of the breeding farms. Needless to say, Miss Judy loves them as much as I do.

joanied
03-17-2011, 12:49 PM
:jump: isn't it wonderful that a thread about what we LOVE about this sport has so many posts:ThmbUp: