PDA

View Full Version : Santos vs Vaz today's 5th at Phillypark.

onefast99
01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Today's 5th race was marred by a fight after E. Vaz cut off Ademar Santos headed for home. The severity of the foul led to a fist fight on horseback going down the stretch where several blows were landed by each rider. This wasn't during the gallop out but was during the stretch run of this race. Both of these jocks will spend sometime off horses once the stewards review this.

PaceAdvantage
01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
That was pretty wild...hopefully, somebody has this and puts it on YouTube.

InsideThePylons-MW
01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
This wasn't during the gallop out but was during the stretch run of this race.

It was on the backstretch.

The TVG guys showed/watched it 20 times and they still kept saying it was in the stretch.

onefast99
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
The wild wild west right here at Philly Park.

onefast99
01-08-2010, 03:35 PM
It was on the backstretch.

The TVG guys showed/watched it 20 times and they still kept saying it was in the stretch.
I can't get a head on like they showed on TVG, anyone have it?

andymays
01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Watched the video and it looks like there were two solid punches that landed. I'm surprised the guy stayed on his mount.

lamboguy
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
what has happened to horseracing. look at the head on shot of this race. the rider on the 4 horse cannot wait until after the stupid race to go after another rider. if he wants to belt the guy wait until after the race, i bet my money on him and he was more concerned with the other guy then riding out the horse that i bet to give me a shot for my money. i guess they all don't care about me or you guys out there. this sums up the problem with racing. another low spot.

my_nameaintearl
01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
the murders in the city are down so now we have jockey on jockey crimes

BIG HIT
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Never in my life seen such nonsence was watching TVG jocky swinging at one another one guy whipped the other guy and smashing horse on purpose like bumper cars.They could have killed horses and other jocky's they need to band them from raceing Right after race.
Notice one of jocky won a race later in card.SO wrong after all boxing still has fly wht catogory

onefast99
01-08-2010, 06:00 PM
PP will deal with these two very harshly, I am sure the stewards would of looked at this in a different light had the punches not been thrown. These jocks jeopardized the lives of every other horse and jockey in that race.

johnhannibalsmith
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
A horse that I trained was on the receiving end of such a scenario a few years ago - though not as compelling watching as these two guys hitting at each other - the rider on another horse believed that the jock aboard my horse had put him in tight near the 5/16. He rode like a fool through the lane to position himself in such a way so that he could attempt to use his mount to force my rider and horse into the rail just past the wire. It was clear, obvious, blatant, dangerous, ridiculous, documented, admitted to...

$300 fine to rider for careless riding.

tribecaagent
01-08-2010, 06:37 PM
P1MAaPD3l2k

cees with dees
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
People, you really have to watch more carefully.
Vaz did all of the hitting except for one defensive blow which really looked like a push from Santos.
There were definitely words exchanged but Vaz hit this guy twice and regardless of his reasons, he should be barred from the game forever.
Too many riders get killed by accident. This was no accident and put the entire field in danger.
Ben

GARY Z
01-08-2010, 07:58 PM
hopefully none of these guys have guns in their lockers

Mineshaft
01-08-2010, 08:11 PM
People, you really have to watch more carefully.
Vaz did all of the hitting except for one defensive blow which really looked like a push from Santos.
There were definitely words exchanged but Vaz hit this guy twice and regardless of his reasons, he should be barred from the game forever.
Too many riders get killed by accident. This was no accident and put the entire field in danger.
Ben

Barred for life is a little harsh. Probably 6 months off will do the trick.

Linny
01-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I think it was the '33 Derby where the two front runners crossed the wire with the riders locked in mortal combat. The winner ended up to be a maiden that never won again, Broker's Tip. At least these guys tried to hide it on the backstretch!
That said, this is dangerous stuff and the stewards must take action against both riders.

BUD
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
The Stew's Decision I dunno

I Laughed I laughed and laughed

Then I remembered that they are ramming and fighting
on a living animal--Then I felt like the A$$ I truly am for laughing.

chalucce
01-08-2010, 08:35 PM
the equibase chart includes the blow by blow account

Citation1947
01-08-2010, 09:25 PM
This thread should have been titled "Fight Nite at Philly"

castaway01
01-08-2010, 09:29 PM
The chart for the race is great, and watching it is funny, but yes, I know I'm wrong to laugh. :-(

tzipi
01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Looks like the old school racing :)

feelup1963
01-08-2010, 10:28 PM
WHO WAS THAT JOCKEY IN THE RED AND WHITE SILKS? :ThmbDown: :bang:

nijinski
01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Looks like the old school racing :)
I thought the same , bushtrack and the old days my Dad
would speak of of.

I don't remember who but ,but my Dad told me of a jock who
would grab onto another horses saddle cloth . lol
No close up videos from then though.

Ian Meyers
01-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I had never seen anything like this before but I guess it was more common years ago. My buddy Joe Riddell said in KY in the 70's when girl jocks were in a race some of the guys would grab them, grope them and molest them with the whip while they rode. He said much of that came to an end when Patty Cooksey went back into the guys jock room and kicked the crap out of two jockeys that had pawed at her in the previous race.

BombsAway Bob
01-09-2010, 01:16 AM
At "The Rock" in NH, late '80s-early '90's, Carl Gambardella did some race riding on Dodie Duys, basically eliminating her from the race. Carl was back in the Jocks room showers when Dodie came storming in after him, throwing haymakers at the AARP-eligble New England legend. Dodie wound up chasing a butt-nekked Gamby out of the jocks room while pommeling him, until they were finally separated!

Nacumi
01-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Now we can update the old adage about hockey: "I went to a fight and a horse race broke out." :)

Zman179
01-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Fight Video:

ffZNOUr3l1Q

illinoisbred
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Vaz's actions warrant a lifetime suspension. That was obvious and purposeful reckless riding and his ensuing actions risked the lives of both horses and riders. This will be a real black eye to Philadelphia racing if they don't rid themselves of this vermin.

CryingForTheHorses
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Its really sad to see these two guys with "small mans syndrome" resort to putting all the horses and jocks in danger.These two a-holes forget where their bread is buttered.Stews need to take a hard look at this and hand out the proper punishment for both.Both jocks just ruined their reps forever.

post time
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Book them for fight night at Mountaineer Park.

NY BRED
01-09-2010, 11:36 AM
years ago I owned a horse who's for dinner that ran at club Med.

Jose Ferrer,was in the three path ,herding in my horse on the rail

Ricky Knott went to whip my horse to accelerate, but Jose's body
was hunched over my horse's mid section, and Ricky ended up
whipping Jose's back.

Both guys were taunting each other, jose finished third in front
of us, and got dq'd by the Stewards.

Yes, there was a brawl in the Jockey's room afterwards, I think Ferrer
received 30 days.

That said, this Pha incident was a lot more aggresive and Vaz could have
endangered more than one jockey and Horse..

This is not the image Racing needs to show the public:mad:

cees with dees
01-09-2010, 11:50 AM
There was a great horse from the Tartan Stable with the same name back in the 80's.
I caught him once in a turf stake with Cordero. He got up to beat Hero's Honor I think. A Rokeby homebred.
Those were the days.
Ben

Trotman
01-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Gotta love them people in Philly,always scrapping, but lots of Brotherly Love just ask Mitch Williams blows the game and the Philly fans light his garbage cans on fire and threaten to kill him. At least you will always know where you stand. :lol:

onefast99
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Gotta love them people in Philly,always scrapping, but lots of Brotherly Love just ask Mitch Williams blows the game and the Philly fans light his garbage cans on fire and threaten to kill him. At least you will always know where you stand. :lol:
Try wearing a NY Rangers jersey at a Flyers game!

RXB
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Its really sad to see these two guys with "small mans syndrome" resort to putting all the horses and jocks in danger.These two a-holes forget where their bread is buttered.Stews need to take a hard look at this and hand out the proper punishment for both.Both jocks just ruined their reps forever.

Only one a-hole, not two. Vaz purposely steers his horse hard into Santos' mount-- could've had catastrophic consequences for a third horse that got banged, too-- and then starts throwing punches at Santos. Santos will get a suspension for a retaliatory punch, but Vaz needs at least six months. If it was up to me, he'd get a full year to cool his heels. That was the worst, most flagrant, anti-professional jockey conduct I've ever seen.

andymays
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I'd rather have them fighting than cutting deals in the Jocks room ala California (Gomez/Pedroza).

joanied
01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
:eek: Unf***ingbelievable!!!

I hope ESPN doesn't get hold of this for one of their highlight reels, or sports bloopers or some other damned thing...

Talk about irresponsible, assinine behavior:ThmbDown: :mad: :ThmbDown:

Dahoss9698
01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
:eek: Unf***ingbelievable!!!

I hope ESPN doesn't get hold of this for one of their highlight reels, or sports bloopers or some other damned thing...

Talk about irresponsible, assinine behavior:ThmbDown: :mad: :ThmbDown:

It was on Sportscenter last night.

Nacumi
01-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I'd rather have them fighting than cutting deals in the Jocks room ala California (Gomez/Pedroza).

What makes you think Philly jocks don't cut deals? :cool: Both Vaz and Santos were booted off the track grounds this morning, BTW. Pinheads.
Horrible breakdown in one race today and the poor mare got up and kept going. They put her down right in front of the grandstand. The track is playing stupidly fast, probably frozen underneath, with zero cushion. The assclown jockey action yesterday did nothing to help the PR problems for the place and for Pennsylvania racing in general.

andymays
01-09-2010, 05:47 PM
What makes you think Philly jocks don't cut deals? :cool: Both Vaz and Santos were booted off the track grounds this morning, BTW. Pinheads.
Horrible breakdown in one race today and the poor mare got up and kept going. They put her down right in front of the grandstand. The track is playing stupidly fast, probably frozen underneath, with zero cushion. The assclown jockey action yesterday did nothing to help the PR problems for the place and for Pennsylvania racing in general.

I was just taking a shot at what happened in California with Gomez/Pedroza.

onefast99
01-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Vaz asked to leave the track until Tomorrows meeting with the stewards. I really don't know what can be done to these guys but I do know several of the other jockeys in that race were very upset with the disregard of these two for both human and animal life. What is the appropriate penalties for these jocks?

fmolf
01-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Vaz asked to leave the track until Tomorrows meeting with the stewards. I really don't know what can be done to these guys but I do know several of the other jockeys in that race were very upset with the disregard of these two for both human and animal life. What is the appropriate penalties for these jocks?
Does anyone have any info as to what led to this.Bumping at the start of a race happens all the time i cannot believe that is what sparked this whole incident!Do these 2 have a lasting ongoing feud over something that has been building for some time.Any philly isiders know the real scoop?

onefast99
01-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Does anyone have any info as to what led to this.Bumping at the start of a race happens all the time i cannot believe that is what sparked this whole incident!Do these 2 have a lasting ongoing feud over something that has been building for some time.Any philly isiders know the real scoop?
Vaz cutoff Santos while in the backstretch they exchanged a few words and then the punches starting flying, maybe Doc can find out if these two had an issue in the past.

Doc
01-10-2010, 12:46 PM

You hit the nail on the head. There is no defense of the place.

Nacumi
01-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Supposedly, the incident was sparked by a comment Santos made about Vaz's mother.
I kid you not. :confused:

joanied
01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
It was on Sportscenter last night.

:faint: :faint: :faint: ...figures!

Show Me the Wire
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Fighting jockeys may generate new interest in the sport. Imagine marketing tough man jockey competitions on horseback.

andymays
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Jockey Apologizes for Philly Incident

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54748/jockey-apologizes-for-philly-incident

Excerpt:

“I would like to…say how sorry I really am for the incident that happened between myself and Mr. Santos,” Vaz wrote in a statement that was issued to the horse racing television network TVG. “I made a terrible mistake reacting the way I did during the race the other day.”

Excerpt:

“I made a mistake, one that I will regret the rest of my life,” Vaz stated. “I used bad judgment and should have handled the situation differently. I apologize to everyone for my actions, and hope that I will be forgiven by all the owners and trainers that I am privileged to ride for…also my fellow riders, and the betting public who back me day after day…I am heartfully (sic) sorry.”

Cubbymac26
01-13-2010, 11:10 PM
comr on guys do you guys actually think this incident will give the sport a black eye??

what sport doesnt have fights on occasion???

when was the last time philly park was featured on sportscenter??

this can be one of the few things that racing can do to get new fans

bottom line this incedent can only have had positive effects on attenndence not negative

im betting horses 16 years and im quitting cuz of a fight on the backside hahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

onefast99
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
comr on guys do you guys actually think this incident will give the sport a black eye??

what sport doesnt have fights on occasion???

when was the last time philly park was featured on sportscenter??

this can be one of the few things that racing can do to get new fans

bottom line this incedent can only have had positive effects on attenndence not negative

im betting horses 16 years and im quitting cuz of a fight on the backside hahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe a webcam in the jocks room! Similar to taxi cab confessions!