PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Stakes Strategy Backfires?

egreen
01-08-2010, 06:50 AM
The new GP management, formerly from Calder, decided to resume stacking multiple stakes races on a single day. In the past, this made for miserable on-track conditions in Frank's facility, as it is simply not adequate to host a "crowd" of any size. My guess is that won't be a problem this Saturday when the weather in So. FL is predicted to be as bad as it has been in recent memory. And the simulcast handle may take a big hit, too, if expected rains come and cause a number of scratches. The concept of stacking stakes was necessary at Calder, where the track depended upon shippers to create big days. But it is not necessary at GP, where many of the country's top runners are already on site. It will be interesting to see how Ken Dunn's vision of making a big splash early by carding so many stakes on a single day works out when Mother Nature doesn't cooperate.

onefast99
01-08-2010, 08:27 AM
A lot of horses are stabled at Payson and Palm Meadows as well as at Calder. GP has a limited number of stalls. You also point out the weather, how is a racing secretary suppose to know the weather once the nominations are out which is approximately 8 days to the race being drawn?

egreen
01-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm not suggesting that the racing secretary be a weather forecaster. I'm pointing out that it is not necessary at GP to stack stakes on one day like it is at Calder because the horses are already here. The strategy is dangerous because the weather is unpredictable and can ruin multiple stakes, not just one or two if they were spread out. This also results in other days with no stakes, which is bad for on-track attendance and general interest.

onefast99
01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not suggesting that the racing secretary be a weather forecaster. I'm pointing out that it is not necessary at GP to stack stakes on one day like it is at Calder because the horses are already here. The strategy is dangerous because the weather is unpredictable and can ruin multiple stakes, not just one or two if they were spread out. This also results in other days with no stakes, which is bad for on-track attendance and general interest.
Did you take into account that they took away several of the Florida Sunshine Millions races and this was a good way to have another big stakes day at this facility? Not one venue worries about the weather when they are carding their races, not even the BC, if it is bad weather everyone makes the best of it. I do understand what you are saying about the horses already being at the track or at least 40 minutes away but give the new racing secretary at least 30 days before criticizing him for putting together what looks to be a very nice day for owners, trainers jockeys and the bettors.

egreen
01-08-2010, 01:23 PM
So what about the other days that will now be low level claimers with no stakes? It's a risky strategy and likely to backfire this Saturday.

Pell Mell
01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
So what about the other days that will now be low level claimers with no stakes? It's a risky strategy and likely to backfire this Saturday.

Those will be the days I play.;)

post time
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I like the risk

onefast99
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
There are at least 2 stakes next week which include the Dania Beach 100k and the Marshua's River 100k. The Holy Bull is the following week and the Florida Sunshine Millions is the week thereafter. On February 6th 3 stakes races the Donn, Suwannee and the GP Turf 2-13 has 2 stakes races 2-20 has 4 stakes races and 2-27 has 3 stakes. I don't see any stacking as the money day is Saturdays.