PDA

View Full Version : A good thought from Las Vegas

rwwupl
01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
A good thought from Las Vegas...

"I suspect I will go to my grave firmly believing that lots of people like horse racing but don't know about it yet. I guess you could call that being an eternal optimist.

Count me in....rwwupl :ThmbUp:

Exerpt from:

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/trying-to-generate-new-fans-could-be-worthwhile-resolution-80462247.html

RICHARD ENG: Trying to generate new fans could be worthwhile resolution
RICHARD ENG
I suspect I will go to my grave firmly believing that lots of people like horse racing but don't know about it yet. I guess you could call that being an eternal optimist.

For example, on Sunday I was listening to an NFL game on radio. On a long touchdown run, announcer Wayne Larrivee screamed, "He's running away from them like Secretariat." I kid you not.

On closing weekend at Hollywood Park, TVG showed Barbra Streisand, the most reclusive superstar since Greta Garbo, sitting in an owner's box with husband James Brolin.

When things like this happen, I see hope -- that there are seeds of interest planted in people's brains that need to be nurtured, that the cup is half full and not half empty.

If you haven't made a New Year's resolution yet and like horse racing, try this simple one: Generate one new fan in 2010.

That is the public grabbing the bull by the horns and not waiting for the alphabet soup of racing organizations to finally act. A bottom-up, grass-roots campaign empowers the fans and not the high-priced suits.

boomman
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
A good thought from Las Vegas...

Count me in....rwwupl :ThmbUp:

Exerpt from:

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/trying-to-generate-new-fans-could-be-worthwhile-resolution-80462247.html

RICHARD ENG: Trying to generate new fans could be worthwhile resolution
RICHARD ENG
I suspect I will go to my grave firmly believing that lots of people like horse racing but don't know about it yet. I guess you could call that being an eternal optimist.

For example, on Sunday I was listening to an NFL game on radio. On a long touchdown run, announcer Wayne Larrivee screamed, "He's running away from them like Secretariat." I kid you not.

On closing weekend at Hollywood Park, TVG showed Barbra Streisand, the most reclusive superstar since Greta Garbo, sitting in an owner's box with husband James Brolin.

When things like this happen, I see hope -- that there are seeds of interest planted in people's brains that need to be nurtured, that the cup is half full and not half empty.

If you haven't made a New Year's resolution yet and like horse racing, try this simple one: Generate one new fan in 2010.

That is the public grabbing the bull by the horns and not waiting for the alphabet soup of racing organizations to finally act. A bottom-up, grass-roots campaign empowers the fans and not the high-priced suits.

Met Richard at the Symposium in Tucson, a great guy and like a lot of the folks on this board, is one that is passionate about horse racing. He's right, if everyone of us just took one new person to the track in 2010 it could be a "shot in the arm" for our sport. I'll take it a step further: If you haven't been to Yavapai Downs and would like to visit us this summer, contact me via PM and I'd be happy to provide a free pass and show you around the racetrack:)

Boomer

Horseplayersbet.com
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Met Richard at the Symposium in Tucson, a great guy and like a lot of the folks on this board, is one that is passionate about horse racing. He's right, if everyone of us just took one new person to the track in 2010 it could be a "shot in the arm" for our sport. I'll take it a step further: If you haven't been to Yavapai Downs and would like to visit us this summer, contact me via PM and I'd be happy to provide a free pass and show you around the racetrack:)

Boomer
I used to take friends and coworkers to the track all the time. I used to make real nice scores (pre-Beyers in the form), and always hovered around breaking even each year.

I wouldn't introduce anyone to the game today because without rebates, the game is unbeatable as far as I'm concerned.

Believe me, I'd love to see things change where I wouldn't be conflicted by shame and guilt in bringing a newbie to the track :) , but that isn't the case right now, but I'm hopeful things will turn around.

For more and how the game needs to change: http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/01/if-you-want-horse-racing-to-grow-you.html

levinmpa
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Rich Eng is a good writer and handicapper. He won a big tournament in Vegas a few years ago. You can catch Rich on radio or internet each week.

Thursdays at 6:00PM Eastern on At the Races with Steve Byk: Sirius Radio 126 and streamed at stevebyk.com

Mondays and Wednesdays 9:05AM - 10:00AM Pacific on Race Day Las Vegas with Ralph Siraco: KSHP 1400 in Las Vegas and streamed live at racedaylasvegas.com