PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Racetrack

Robert Goren
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
This parlay contest has got me thinking about show betting. I am thinking buying "Beat the Racetrack" by Dr Z. Is it any good? Is there anything I should know about it? There seams to be at least 2 editions 1984 and 1987. Is there a difference and if so what is it?

Dave Schwartz
01-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Save yourself the trouble. With the extreme late odds shifts, whatever advantage existed there has been gone for a decade or more.

gregrph
01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
This parlay contest has got me thinking about show betting. I am thinking buying "Beat the Racetrack" by Dr Z. Is it any good? Is there anything I should know about it? There seams to be at least 2 editions 1984 and 1987. Is there a difference and if so what is it?

Robert,
I bought the book 15-17 years ago or so (hard believe it's been that long!). I thoroughly enjoy it! If you like math and numbers it's a good read. The authors a very good at explaining why and how they come up with their theories, the research they've done to back it up and their thought process as they progress. I enjoyed programming the formulas into 2 different calculators and enjoyed using them at Saratoga for a few years.

With that being said, I agree with Dave Schwartz. The late odds changes and pool totals usually diminish the potential plays from "bet" to "no bet". I haven't really used it in a few years.

If you can get the book cheap or borrow from a library, them by all means go for it. Even if you do not implement the strategies involved, it might have some info in there. I have mine marked up and pages seperating from the binder!
Greg

Handiman
01-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Dave and Greg are right on. :ThmbUp: During it's time it was a math masterpiece I believe. But it has long since died from a severe case of "Oh crap this doesn't work anymore."

Still for the brainiac, it might be a good read even today. But you better like math...ALOT.

Handi :)

Robert Goren
01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
I got a copy of the book. It does have a lot of math in it which I don't mind. I haven't actually tried it yet, but i have been kind watching some show pools. They do tend jump a round a lot. The question is if I can predict their movements. One thing I seen so far is that there are some really bad show bets out there.

kenwoodallpromos
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Save yourself the trouble. With the extreme late odds shifts, whatever advantage existed there has been gone for a decade or more.
Has anyone developed a method/system for predicting extreme or other late odds shifts for contenders? by connections, odds at a certain time, track or circuit, surface type, today's bias, scratches, etc? A book on the subject should be worth $$$, but I will take any preliminary info available!!

lamboguy
01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Save yourself the trouble. With the extreme late odds shifts, whatever advantage existed there has been gone for a decade or more.ain't that the truth!

Horseplayersbet.com
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
ain't that the truth!
Less than half the bettors bought a form or used any sort of past performances back then. There was dummy money in the pools. And Beyers hit the racing form around 20 years ago taking away the edge for people who made their own speed figs.

DJofSD
01-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Roger that.