PDA

View Full Version : Lava Man retired after comeback!

andymays
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/109915.html

Excerpt:

"I've thought a lot since that last race," Steve Kenly said of the San Gabriel. "We were expecting more out of him. His ankles were better, but the thing that probably caught up with him was time.

"We said that if he couldn't compete at the highest level, we wouldn't continue. That's what made this decision possible. Obviously, he lost a step. It was his first race back in a year and a half. When the running really started, he couldn't keep pace with the better horses."

O'Neill was not available for comment on Tuesday morning.

strapper
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
:) the right thing to do

tzipi
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Ahh nooo. It was just his first race after a LONG layoff but thats the decision. Was looking forward to seeing what he would do next after they said he came out of the race fine and was healthy all over. But I'm sure they made the right call. Enjoy retirement Lava Man. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
This should not distract from the amazing advances in vet care that were made with the stem cell therapy. He may have well been just too old to still compete at the top level, but that doesn't mean that the treatment could not be used on a younger horse and bring that horse back to the highest levels of competition. Also, it certainly should improve his quality of life.

joanied
01-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I was just gonna post this news...

tzipi, I first thought that same thing...try again, since his lay off was so long...but maybe they are seeing something when they have him on the track in the morning, that tells them, the old boy just isn't interested anymore?
It's a tough call, no doubt...but if they thought for a minute Lava Man might improove with another start, I think they'd have given it a go...

this is probably best for the horse...a bummer for those of us that loved watching him, win, loose or draw...but best for him. I hope they can make a pony horse out of him, I'm sure he'd enjoy staying at the track, familiar surroundings and faces...the suggestionn of making a hunter/jumper out of him makes me cringe...no,no,no....he may have 'new' ankles, but I'm sorry, allowing him to jump (landing on those ankles) would be a mistake, IMO...why take a chance...after all, jumping puts incredible concussion on the ankles, I would be very disappointed if they allow that...plenty of other new careers he could have...
IMO, if he isn't happy as a pony horse, then send him to the Kentucky Horse Park, where folks can visit with him, and he would get tons of TLC:)

Long live :ThmbUp: Lava Man...you gave us all one hell of a ride, and we thank you.

tzipi
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I was just gonna post this news...

tzipi, I first thought that same thing...try again, since his lay off was so long...but maybe they are seeing something when they have him on the track in the morning, that tells them, the old boy just isn't interested anymore?
It's a tough call, no doubt...but if they thought for a minute Lava Man might improove with another start, I think they'd have given it a go...

this is probably best for the horse...a bummer for those of us that loved watching him, win, loose or draw...but best for him. I hope they can make a pony horse out of him, I'm sure he'd enjoy staying at the track, familiar surroundings and faces...the suggestionn of making a hunter/jumper out of him makes me cringe...no,no,no....he may have 'new' ankles, but I'm sorry, allowing him to jump (landing on those ankles) would be a mistake, IMO...why take a chance...after all, jumping puts incredible concussion on the ankles, I would be very disappointed if they allow that...plenty of other new careers he could have...
IMO, if he isn't happy as a pony horse, then send him to the Kentucky Horse Park, where folks can visit with him, and he would get tons of TLC:)

Long live :ThmbUp: Lava Man...you gave us all one hell of a ride, and we thank you.

Yeah I think they it was all in the,"When they all got running he just couldn't keep up". Better safe than sorry. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
That's kind of arrogant of them to think they had a prayer in that race. He 'needed' the race no doubt, just because he was off the board there doesn't mean he can't compete at the higher level.

joanied
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
That's kind of arrogant of them to think they had a prayer in that race. He 'needed' the race no doubt, just because he was off the board there doesn't mean he can't compete at the higher level.

Arrogant? I don't know about that...no doubt they knew he would need a race, but I don't think they were being arrogant to enter him in that spot...and he did good most of the way, then just faded, which was rather sad to see...since they are with him everyday, I would assume they are seeing something that tells them not to go on with him.
It's a bummer, we all waited for months to see the old boy again...but I don't think we should second guess their decision...they have to do what they feel is best for Lava Man.
It's easy to say no reason he can't compete, but as I said, we are not seeing him on a daily basis, so ya just gotta take what they do and deal with it.
All the best for Lava Man:ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Arrogant? I don't know about that...no doubt they knew he would need a race, but I don't think they were being arrogant to enter him in that spot...and he did good most of the way, then just faded, which was rather sad to see...since they are with him everyday, I would assume they are seeing something that tells them not to go on with him.
It's a bummer, we all waited for months to see the old boy again...but I don't think we should second guess their decision...they have to do what they feel is best for Lava Man.
It's easy to say no reason he can't compete, but as I said, we are not seeing him on a daily basis, so ya just gotta take what they do and deal with it.
All the best for Lava Man:ThmbUp:

But, that's the thing, they're acting like they DIDNT need the race and the horse ran his best possible race and was just not good enough.

joanied
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
But, that's the thing, they're acting like they DIDNT need the race and the horse ran his best possible race and was just not good enough.

Hmmmm..Ok, I see what you are saying...they shoulda run him in a very easy spot first time out after his layoff...but, they said before they ran him, if he couldn't compete at the top level, he'd be retired for sure...maybe you are right, they should have given him a chance and run him lower...
makes you feel sad for Lava Man...and makes me feel they should have just left well enough alone...his 'new' ankles will serve him well in retirement...no pain, and that is a very good thing:)

Stillriledup
01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Hmmmm..Ok, I see what you are saying...they shoulda run him in a very easy spot first time out after his layoff...but, they said before they ran him, if he couldn't compete at the top level, he'd be retired for sure...maybe you are right, they should have given him a chance and run him lower...
makes you feel sad for Lava Man...and makes me feel they should have just left well enough alone...his 'new' ankles will serve him well in retirement...no pain, and that is a very good thing:)

The problem is that he's some family pet who can't be risked in a claiming race, even though thats where he might belong. I'm surprised that they're acting like he was 100 pct fit to run, you would think that they would give him another chance now that he's 'more fit'. Just an odd situation all the way around.

WinterTriangle
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM

I think it's arrogant for any of us, who don't work with the horse every day, to presume we know more, or better, than those who do.

I'm sure there was more to the decision than just that one race. They know his action, the way he moves, his gait, and details about how he is running. Perhaps he is too old to be a racehorse, even though his joints have healed up. There are other things, like lung strength, etc. that I really don't know much about in his case. Maybe he was winded, etc. I don't know. Joints are not the whole horse. There's a lot of travelling, etc. which may be stressful on an older horese.

I for one really don't wanna see a top level champion spending his time, and come to the end his racing career, in lower level claimers.

(God knows, we already have too many of those. .:rolleyes: )

When Olympic alpine skier Hermann Miers retired, (he had been sidelined with an injury........which he had surgery and PT to recuperate from, and was fully recuperated.) He said: "“I am healthy now----- and that’s the way I want to live on...." He did not want to risk injury again. He had already given us 54 World Cup races.

I see no problem with Lava Man having a better quality of life, and not having to race, but enjoy his new health.

Stillriledup
01-05-2010, 11:20 PM
I think it's arrogant for any of us, who don't work with the horse every day, to presume we know more, or better, than those who do.

I'm sure there was more to the decision than just that one race. They know his action, the way he moves, his gait, and details about how he is running. Perhaps he is too old to be a racehorse, even though his joints have healed up. There are other things, like lung strength, etc. that I really don't know much about in his case. Maybe he was winded, etc. I don't know. Joints are not the whole horse. There's a lot of travelling, etc. which may be stressful on an older horese.

I for one really don't wanna see a top level champion spending his time, and come to the end his racing career, in lower level claimers.

(God knows, we already have too many of those. .:rolleyes: )

When Olympic alpine skier Hermann Miers retired, (he had been sidelined with an injury........which he had surgery and PT to recuperate from, and was fully recuperated.) He said: "“I am healthy now----- and that’s the way I want to live on...." He did not want to risk injury again. He had already given us 54 World Cup races.

I see no problem with Lava Man having a better quality of life, and not having to race, but enjoy his new health.

We only know what they tell us....and they're telling us that he can't compete at the high levels anymore because of his comeback race. Horses who are off yearlong or more layoffs NEED one race to get into shape. You cant mimic real race conditions in workouts, i'm surprised they're not giving him another shot now that he has a race under his belt. Of course he was going to get tired, what did they think was going to happen? Did they think he was going to wire the field against horses who have 100+ Beyer figs on their form?

joanied
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
We only know what they tell us....and they're telling us that he can't compete at the high levels anymore because of his comeback race. Horses who are off yearlong or more layoffs NEED one race to get into shape. You cant mimic real race conditions in workouts, i'm surprised they're not giving him another shot now that he has a race under his belt. Of course he was going to get tired, what did they think was going to happen? Did they think he was going to wire the field against horses who have 100+ Beyer figs on their form?

You mentioned in your post to me that Lava Man is "some family pet"..."they don't want to risk in a claiming race"...well, I would think after being in the barn for many years, he IS like a family pet...and there isn't anything wrong in that...it's wonderful, IMO...they love the horse and that is how it should be when you have one like him in your barn for so long...
they said at the get go they would not race him unless he could still compete at the highest level...so, no surprise there.

I echo what Winter Triangle posted...we cannot assume anything, other than they want to best for their Champion. It is very disappointing that they decided not to try him again...what you said about needing a race is true...every horse needs one after a long layoff...few will come back and win first time...but Lava Man's circumstances are a bit different....his age is a huge factor, and I would think played a part in this last decision to retire him for good.
We also don't know what his jockey said after the race...maybe he felt that the old horse just wasn't into it and ran well the first part just to please the man on his back...but showed no response at any urging he might have gotten.
I also mentioned, as WT did...we are not there, we don't see Lava Man on a daily basis, we are not feeling his legs everyday, we don't know how he came back after the race...maybe the next couple of days after that race, he showed them he was tired, maybe went off his feed a bit...we just don't know...maybe his heart rate wasn't as it should be...yes, we only know what they tell everyone...and IMO, they might not be willing to devulge all information to 'outsiders'.

The stem cell proceedure was not done for the single reason of racing him again...the main reason was so he'd be pain free for his retirement, so he'd live the rest of his life in comfort...racing him again was just icing on the cake...and nothing more than a possibility.

So, IMO, as much as I would love to see Lava man race again...and win...I beleive they weighed in every factor there is, and decided it was best for him to retire.