PDA

View Full Version : Great News: NYC Terror Trial Security to Cost at Least $200 Million a Year!

andymays
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
http://jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2010/01/great-news-nyc-terror-trial-security-to.html

Excerpt:

Well, the original estimate by Eric Holder was a scant $75 million, so he was only off by $125 million. Figure by the time this farce actually starts it'll be about half a billion a year and it'll only drag on for what, five or six years? But hey, it'll "create or save jobs," so it's a win-win for Team Bambi, right? So just to show we're nice guys and offer even the worst monsters known to man the full menu of constitutional privileges, we'll probably drop a cool billion dollars or so. A real mystery why Obama's approval ratings are in the toilet, isn't it?

Security for the federal trial of self-proclaimed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and four accused cohorts will run $200 million a year, sources told the Daily News.

The NYPD's newly revised projection is almost triple the estimate of $75 million in November, after Attorney General Eric Holder announced he would move the prisoners from Guantanamo to Manhattan for trial.

ArlJim78
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I see where Schumer is talking tough about how NYC should not have to pay for any of this. Well my question is why should Chicago, or LA or Alaska pay for it? how about you guys tap into your stimulus slush fund to cover the costs.

If you don't like it and don't want to pay for it, tell it to your management, Chairman MaObama and his disgraceful attorney general Holder.

Robert Goren
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Why did we have to pay for the shoe bombers trial? Because Bush said so. And before you on the right say you didn't support Bush, I want you to tell how you were a big supporter of Gore or Nadar with a straight face.

Tom
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Big difference between KSM and the shoe bomber.

Tom
01-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I see where Schumer is talking tough about how NYC should not have to pay for any of this. Well my question is why should Chicago, or LA or Alaska pay for it? how about you guys tap into your stimulus slush fund to cover the costs.

If you don't like it and don't want to pay for it, tell it to your management, Chairman MaObama and his disgraceful attorney general Holder.

Water is free. Water board him until he qualifies for wet lands protection.
How much is a bullet?

How about - release him from custody on the streets of NY and let what happens happen.:ThmbUp:

How about we set him on fire and throw off the top o the Empire State Building?

A trial is a waste of time. Kill the SOB on TV and send it out to the world.

bigmack
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
We're in good hands: :bang:

sG7lm8Sfbo4

ArlJim78
01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Why did we have to pay for the shoe bombers trial? Because Bush said so. And before you on the right say you didn't support Bush, I want you to tell how you were a big supporter of Gore or Nadar with a straight face.
who is the "we" you are talking about when you say "why did we have to pay for the shoe bombers trial".

if you mean "we" in the sense of the US you're implying that my objection to the KSM trial is based on the cost. It isn't merely the cost, its that its an unprecedented leap in bad policy, and that it elevates the perpretrator of 9/11 to mythic hero status and gives him a chance to inflict further damage on the US in his show trial. And it is a show trial because the outcome has been preordained by the attorney general. it is one of the most outrageous farces that we've ever seen.

also, why do you keep comparing the attempted shoe bomber to KSM? do you realize how absurd that is?

Black Ruby
01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Water is free. Water board him until he qualifies for wet lands protection.
How much is a bullet?

How about - release him from custody on the streets of NY and let what happens happen.:ThmbUp:

How about we set him on fire and throw off the top o the Empire State Building?

A trial is a waste of time. Kill the SOB on TV and send it out to the world.

So you believe our government, and don't want to see and hear whatever evidence they have? I think that's an awfully dangerous precedent. Especially if you look at the history of the CIA and FBI, the crimes committed by their employees, the information withheld (ie, 5 assination attempts on Castro that weren't admitted for over 30 years, LSD experiments on American sailors, etc). If we kill him without a trial aren't we as bad as worst of the worst?

andymays
01-05-2010, 02:16 PM
So you believe our government, and don't want to see and hear whatever evidence they have? I think that's an awfully dangerous precedent. Especially if you look at the history of the CIA and FBI, the crimes committed by their employees, the information withheld (ie, 5 assination attempts on Castro that weren't admitted for over 30 years, LSD experiments on American sailors, etc). If we kill him without a trial aren't we as bad as worst of the worst?

A big part of the Terrorist strategy is to bust out the U.S. financially by using our expensive judicial/legal system against us. Unfortunately we are accomodating them. :ThmbDown:

Tom
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM

He has pleaded guilty already. End of story.
We already got what we could out of him by water boarding.
He is not a citizen and not entitled to a trail in our justice system.
Our old government - had him in Gitmo where he belonged. Our new government is slapping us in the face by parading this POS around like he is entitled to human rights. He is entitled to suffer and die.

5 assination attempts on Castro A good idea, poor execution. I support assasination of bad guys. Got a list of them right here we should be working on.

Black Ruby
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Thomas Paine said ''He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.''

The cost of KSM's trial is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iran wars, that's where our government was sucked in to wrecking us financially. The Bilderbergs are succeeding in reducing the world to the wealthy and the serfs.

Tom
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Tell me you are not saying we are oppressing this murdering POS?
How is it you are not screaming about the drone murders Obama is committing?

Black Ruby
01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Tell me you are not saying we are oppressing this murdering POS?
How is it you are not screaming about the drone murders Obama is committing?

In case you haven't noticed, this thread isn't about the drones.

At no time did I say we're oppressing KSM, I just like to see this country stick to it's principles and produce the evidence it says it has. If it doesn't, we're going down a dangerous road.

You, on the other hand, take the government's word for things when it supports what you want to believe.

To put the $200 million into perspective: "The Pentagon pays an average of $400 to put a gallon of fuel into a combat vehicle or aircraft in Afghanistan.

According to a Government Accountability Office report published earlier this year, 44 trucks and 220,000 gallons of fuel were lost due to attacks or other events while delivering fuel to Bagram Air Field in Afghanistan in June 2008 alone." (that would be $88 million just for fuel for the month) "The Marines in Afghanistan, for example, reportedly run through some 800,000 gallons of fuel a day. That reflects the logistical challenges of running the counterinsurgency operations but also the need for fuel during the extreme weather conditions in Afghanistan — hot summers and freezing winters." So that's $320million per day.

mostpost
01-05-2010, 03:02 PM
:lol: :lol: Where do they get that $200M figure from? I mean, how does NYPD arrive at that figure? As I understand it, that $200M is for SECURITY. It is not the cost of the trial itself.
I have come up with a few things that would have be included in those costs. One would be electronic monitoring devices such as scanners and metal detectors. These are things which I am sure a federal court already has. Perhaps they require more sensitive devices to detect dangerous chemicals or explosives. If a particular courtroom does not possess such items, could they not be found somewhere in the Federal government. I realize that such devices are very expensive, if they need to be purchased.
However I don't see that you could justify claiming the entire purchase price of an item as an expense of one trial when it would surely be used on many trials.
Weapons for security personnel? Again wouldn't they already have these?

The spokesman for NYPD said that the force did not have sufficient manpower and that overtime would be needed to fulfill their obligations.
According to NYPD an officer with 5 1/2 years on the force earns $76488 in base pay and $90824 including benefits. $36.77/hr base pay $55.16 overtime

Let's assume that every officer working the trial is receiving overtime for every hour he is on duty. $55.16 time 2080 hrs. equals $114,732.80.
The question then becomes how many officers need to be on duty at any one time. If the perimeter of the building is 1000 feet on each side, 100 officers could be stationed at 40 ft intervals. Let's double that figure to allow for personnel needed inside for lunch reliefs etc. Total cost for personnel $23M. And that's assuming that every man is working in an overtime status.

So, where do they get those figures? It's very possible I am doing something wrong here. Someone enlighten me. Like I have to ask! :lol:

Greyfox
01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
:lol: :lol: Where do they get that $200M figure from? personnel needed inside for lunch reliefs etc. Total cost for personnel $23M. And that's assuming that every man is working in an overtime status.

So, where do they get those figures? It's very possible I am doing something wrong here. Someone enlighten me. Like I have to ask! :lol:

Let me suggest that your $ 23 M is probably a good estimate.
But what really happens is:

Costs.

Real workers, guards, transportation = $ 23,000,000
Management and miscellaneous .......= 177,000,000

Total............................................. . = $ 200,000,000 :lol:

Tom
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
In case you haven't noticed, this thread isn't about the drones.

At no time did I say we're oppressing KSM, I just like to see this country stick to it's principles and produce the evidence it says it has. If it doesn't, we're going down a dangerous road.

You, on the other hand, take the government's word for things when it supports what you want to believe.

1. You don't see the drones as a dangerous road?
2. As I said, KSM said he did it - WE did not allow him to plead guilty.
3. Let me put 200 million into [perspective - NYS hasn't got it. We're broke and withholding payments already.

mostpost
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Let me suggest that your $ 23 M is probably a good estimate.
But what really happens is:

Costs.

Real workers, guards, transportation = $ 23,000,000
Management and miscellaneous .......= 177,000,000

Total............................................. . = $ 200,000,000 :lol:
Sadly, I can't argue with you. :bang:

ArlJim78
01-05-2010, 04:19 PM
the best spin on it is that its a federal jobs program (security) for New York.

we have the future home of gitmo in Illinois that they say will generate 3900 jobs.:rolleyes:

its good to spread the wealth from this exciting new industry around the country.

Saratoga_Mike
01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
The NY trial is a disgrace for a number of reasons.

First, it sets a dangerous precedent: if you commit an act of terrorism on US soil against American citizens, you will receive a US-based trial with all the protections of the US Constitution. However, if you commit an act of terrorism against US soldiers overseas, you will be held accountable through a military tribunal. Why do I say this? Because when AG Holder was asked to explain why KSM would receive a US-based trial, while the Obama administration would use military tribunals for some of the remaining, uncharged USS Cole perpetrators, he indicated KSM's act was committed on US soil. What a disgraceful distinction.

Second, when KSM was placed in custody in Gitmo, there was never a plan to try him in the US court system. Therefore, he was never Mirandized or extended any of the usual protections afforded by American jurisprudence. As a result, very few, if any, of his statements while detained in Gitmo will be admissible in a US-based court. AG Holder is aware of this issue and plans to use others' testimony against KSM - we'll see how effective that is.

Third, it gives KSM a platform to spew his hatred. However, I'm less concerned by this issue than others, as I'm assuming if this starts to happen, the judge will close the trial to the media. I guess this will depend on the judge, and the judge is determined by lots (hasn't happened yet).