PDA

View Full Version : Strange methods of play

dav4463
06-20-2003, 03:27 AM
There is a reason why a decent handicapper and bettor can make money in this game. It is the "strange methods" that others use that creates opportunity for others. Just walking around Lone Star Park and talking to various people in the down time between my playable races was interesting. One guy had been there for six hours....he had a stack of losing tickets....every single one of them was a 1-4-6 trifecta box ! He said one of them is bound to come in every once in a while ! Another guy said he only bets women jockeys on gray horses ! Yet another explained that the 2 and the 4 horse had been hot all day ! I guess it didn't matter which track, just play the 2 and 4 ! How about this one ? This guy played $2 to win on every horse in a 9 horse field. His logic was, he makes money if a longshot comes in....I asked why he didn't just play the longshots...he said he didn't want to lose !
Any other strange methods out there ?

kenwoodall
06-20-2003, 05:09 AM
I like to bet horses to show, the next race after it threw its rider. Also real long shots with a good pedigree.
I favor horses in the mud whose trainers braid their tails! My wife likes the 7th horse in the 7th race but it usually comes in 7th!!

so.cal.fan
06-20-2003, 12:25 PM
dav4463:

It used to be like that more here in So. Cal. now we have lost all these folks to lotteries and bingo games.
The damn DRF gives everyone all the information we used to have to gather ourselves for an edge.......so a lot of these "chumps" have smartened up.
Glad to hear there are a few left to "sweeten the pots" down there in Texas.
I know a few Texans who read this board.....will be pleased to read your post!
Hell, it may just clear one paddock regular's allergies tonight!
Enjoy the Lone Star races tonight, dav4463.

Lefty
06-20-2003, 12:33 PM
I once had a friend who had a $100+ horse to win. I said, "Good going? How did you come up with it?"
He says, "I felt a longshot was due and I bet every horse in the race."
"If you felt a longshot wsas due, why didn't you just bet the longshots?"
He looked at me ubnny. "Damn, I never thght of THAT."

Pace Cap'n
06-20-2003, 12:52 PM
You probably heard this, but....

A guy hits race after race after race. Mutuel clerk says, "Man, how are you hitting all those races?" Guy says, "I just wave a pin around over the program and whichever horse it lands on I bet." Clerk says, "So how did you hit that trifecta?" Guy says, "Well, I lost the pin so I used a fork."

sq764
06-20-2003, 02:22 PM
One night at Garden State Park (harness racing), my wife looked at a race and said "Can you box me a 3,4,6 trifecta".. So I asked why and she said it was because they had the 3 fastest times. So after laughing to the window I bet it for her.

I think we all know the ending here.. $388 trifecta.

Racehorse
06-20-2003, 07:19 PM
well, here is a story from Texas .....

I attended the funeral today of one of my long time racing pards ....
amongst the many stories that were being told at the funeral parlor and at the cemetary many had to do with his perchance to drink and bet horses ...
and one particular one comes to my mind easily, for the Judge got a large kick out of it .. and retold it many many times ...

another of our good buds, who is also dead and gone, but who was a verrrrrrrrry serious gambler when it came to horses ...
back thirty years ago a fifty buck bet was a dang good one ...
and our mutual bud, Jimmy would push more than a few of those across the counter during a typical day at the track.

after a particullarily BAD day for Jimmy, he and the Judge and I were on our way back to Texas from OP .. bout a four hour drive and as Jimmy didn't drink but the Judge and I did to excess ...ggggg, Jimmy was driving and the Judge and I were comparing notes on how we could've done better ...
and Jim .. well, he just drove and steamed and was verrrrrrry quiet for a goodly portion of the trip ....

Judge went to sleep and Jimmy told me the he'd cashed not a single ticket and was "never coming back" ... LOL is what I did ...
and
so
he told me that as we were planning on going back to HotSprings in two days, that he'd listen to me on how to bet .. or at least for a race or two ...

couple of days later .. as we are driving Jimmy asks the Judge if he is gonna help me to pick the horse and how to bet for his "lessons" ... Judge says .. yeah we gotcha covered lil buddy .... we're gonna show you how to do it ...

so
I had a written set of rules that the Judge and I'd come up with ....
a LOOOOOOOONG set of rules ...
fractional times ... class change rules .. class drop rules ... stay same class rules ... weight . and on and on and on and on

best the Judge I could come up with was that it would take Jimmy about an hour to do it all ...
and he was to make a list of his picks for
win
place
show

and tell us what they were and we'd tell him what and how to bet ....

well, we had him set up ... set up realllllly well ..... LOL

sure enough .. first race is about ten minutes to post and Jimmy has struggled and figured and sweated blood to come up with his list ...
he hands it to me and the Judge and I confer quietly .. he can hear us murmuring , but can't understand the words ...
so
the Judge writes down "something" on a piece of paper and folds it over and tells Jim NOT to peek so as not to be able to "think about this wager" ......
and
we go send him into the hundred buck line *(this was, needless to say waaaaay back before computer issued tickets)

we are about to bust a gut trying to keep from laughing out loud
for
what we'd written on the paper were these words ....

BET WHAT THE FAT LADY IN FRONT OF YOU BET ......

and we'd made sure that he was, indeed, behind a LARGE woman .. I mean L A R G E .....

so ... just as I was headed towards him to make sure that he opened the paper in time to "hear her bet" ....
there is only one guy in front of her and I"m about five feet away from Jimmy and approaching rapidly ...

well ... BIG BERTHA wheels around and says ...
'hey mista ... let me sees yo book" ..... and Jimmy is to startled to even say anything ...
and she points a BIG finger at the number three and say ...
"YEP .... thass him ..... numba THREE ... thass HIM ... oh goodness YEAH .. thasssHIM" ....
and
I'm completely dumbfounded ... I can't even speak ...
and
danged if I didn't even have time to tell JImmy we'd pulled a prank on him ...
HELL .. he bet a hundred on the nose on number three .......

the Judge was no more than ten feet behind me and saw that Jim had made a bet ...
and he sqawked at me ... HELL .. didn't you STOP HIM ?
and
I was too flabbergasted ....to do anything but stammer ....

well, folks ....

number three wins and pays eighteen forty .........

and we've all laughed for many years about that TRUE story .....

I"m the last one left out of that trio ...
and I miss both ....

but really is true ......

horse

linrom1
06-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Long shot morning line horses going off at more than double M/L odds. Sometimes this is a dead give away that odds maker wants to influence the way public bets.

tcat
06-20-2003, 08:07 PM
At the Churchill Handicap contest 2 wks ago, a mentaly challenged lady was brought to the track by her parents. She bet the "3" every race. Everyone knew her bets because she yelled "3...3...3...3" every race. When I slipped away, with a race to go, she was leading. I don't know if she won, but surely she was in the top 5.

So much for scientific handicapping. I used a computer.

superfecta
06-20-2003, 08:24 PM
But last year I was at Remington and a little girl(maybe ten years old) was asking her dad to bet a horse for her.He asks which one and goes and makes the bet.She wins around 16-18 bucks.So dad gives her the money (minus the $2 bucks he fronted her)she gives dad a five and ask him to bet another horse.She hits and it pays like 40 dollars for $5.Her dad is amazed,her mom is pissed.So a little later she asks dad to put 10 on another horse for her.And she wins again,for over 100 bucks from what I can tell.Dad and Mom are both pissed,because they are losing,moms already spent her money,the little girl won't front her mom any of her winnings,and the little girl won't tell them how she picks her horses.So I don't think she got any of that last ticket.

Zaf
06-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Horse takes a dump in the post parade, Its a play.

Caught a $22.00 hoss at Vernon Downs once that way. LOL

ZAFONIC

Fastracehorse
06-21-2003, 02:00 AM
<His logic was, he makes money if a longshot comes in....I asked why he didn't just play the longshots...he said he didn't want to lose !

That's funny.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

fffastt

Tom
06-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by zafonic
Horse takes a dump in the post parade, Its a play.

Caught a $22.00 hoss at Vernon Downs once that way. LOL

ZAFONIC

Heh, heh, heh,
One of my favorite "spot" plays.

Dave Schwartz
06-21-2003, 11:35 AM
My personal favorite play is when the horse is taking a dump on the way to the wire while on a six-length lead.

<G>

Dave

pS: I heard this is how they do it from inside the OTB operations. <G>

freeneasy
06-21-2003, 05:18 PM
go to the walking ring, and as each horse walks by give out with a little pssst, and if the horse looks over at you and gives back with a wink, then start head'n for the win'das. pssst:D

Tom
06-21-2003, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
[B]My personal favorite play is when the horse is taking a dump on the way to the wire while on a six-length lead.
<G>

Dave

I gotta see THAT chart comment!
Do they give two weights for that paceline? 122/119

:rolleyes:

freeneasy
06-21-2003, 10:31 PM
kept to task while on the dump

VetScratch
06-22-2003, 08:26 AM
When in doubt, play the horse with the most downbeat or depressing name that implies ugliness, poor health, abject poverty, mental deficiency, physical weakness, or failed endeavors.

so.cal.fan
06-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Vet Scratch:
That is an interesting concept and quite true!
There was a large stable several years ago, can't remember which one, that always named their horses unattractive names as to not draw betting attention......

dav4463
06-23-2003, 12:31 AM
Some great stories ! Some have a grain of truth to them...for example betting the horse with a boring name. I know plenty of people who bet the horses with catchy names. Also, the horse going off at double the high morning line is interesting.

Here is another one I've heard, I don't get the logic here, but this is what the guy does in most races......play a trifecta box of 1st favorite, 3rd favorite, and 5th favorite.......play an exacta box of 2nd favorite, 4th favorite, and 6th favorite.....and bet to win on 4th and 5th odds choices. I've seen him cash a few, but over the long haul........I would definitely need to check some result charts !