PDA

View Full Version : Death Penalty..

tzipi
01-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Sometimes I just read around the internet or wikipedia just reading about things,etc. So anyway, I came across "deaths in 2009" and two of the people listed in one month were Death Row inmates. So I read up on what they did,who they were,etc.
Ok,both raped young girls and killed them,one actually cut up the body. So here's what pisses me off along with what they did. Their lawyers and some people screamed the death penalty was cruel and unusual punishment! Are they serious?! They raped and killed little children and they are crying cruel and unusual punishment! I know this is not new,but it's just insane.
One lawyer actually got a year stay for his client because he was argueing the death penalty was cruel for his client who had a 80 IQ. That he was to incompetent to get the death penalty. Oh really? And that little girl was competent enough to get raped and killed! What *******!
I dont care who you are,if you do this crap,you get whacked whatever way they want to. THE CRUELER THE BETTER. Oh and the people against it. Just imagine what they would think if it was not someone elses family member,but theirs. They'd be crawling over people to pull the switch on these sickos.

Anyone against the death penalty for these people?

HUSKER55
01-04-2010, 11:46 PM
I have always said that if people are against the death penalty then move those bastards next to them for the next ten years.

If they are smart enough to know we are killing them then they were smart enough to know what they did was wrong when they killed those two kids.

Robert Goren
01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
We recent had a case here in Nebraska that might be of some interest. 6 people who in 1988 plead guilty to the rape and murder of a 70 year old woman exonerated by DNA evidence. They plead Guilty because the prosecutor took the death penalty off the table. The real killer-rapist who had been cleared by police at the time died in the early 90s. When they re-checked the DNA last year they found the mistake. All 6 received full pardons, but that does not get back the 20 years they spent in jail. If they hadn't taken the plea bargain, there is very little doubt in anyone mind around here that at least one or two would gotten the electric chair. In fact at time there was some uproar about no one getting it.

chickenhead
01-04-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm against the death penalty, but not really for the cruel and unusual part, more for the irrevocable part of it. Our justice system is imperfect, and on balance I weigh life in prison for the guilty to be less odious than accidentally killing an innocent. And yes, I imagine I'd be looking for death, as cruel as possible, if my family was the victimized.

ArlJim78
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
thats the thing, we're fallible, juries and prosecutors are only human and therefore will make mistakes. on one hand yes some people commit such heinous crimes that yes, they deserve death. on the other hand, there are patsies that get fried by over zealous prosecutors seeking to close the books on a case, or by some other quirk or bias of the system, and those people of course don't deserve to die, so we must err on the side of not going too far with the punishment. life in prison with no chance of parole is as far as we should go imo.

dav4463
01-05-2010, 12:14 AM
If someone did something so terrible as to get the death penalty and there was "no doubt" that this person did it.............then the death penalty is needed.

If twenty people are standing around and witness some nut walk up to someone and murder them.....why does that person even get a trial? Hang them on the nearest tree.

tzipi
01-05-2010, 12:14 AM
No,that's true. For the borderline cases or borderline crimes maybe not,it would also be a shame to kill an innocent person. But for the lock down,DNA,"he did it and admitted to it" cases like the ones I mentioned,they should slowly and painfully electrocute them and no one should have a problem IMO.

tzipi
01-05-2010, 12:16 AM
If someone did something so terrible as to get the death penalty and there was "no doubt" that this person did it.............then the death penalty is needed.

If twenty people are standing around and witness some nut walk up to someone and murder them.....why does that person even get a trial? Hang them on the nearest tree.

That I totally agree with. Why are there trials for people who do stuff in front of tons of witnesses. The LIRR Case with Colin Ferguson. What a waste of time and money. Just walk him straight to the chair or gurney.

chickenhead
01-05-2010, 12:21 AM
the problem is our courts don't work that way, that's the whole point for beyond any reasonable doubt. None of them are supposed to be borderline or maybe not guilty, there aren't any distinctions, innocent people aren't supposed to get convicted of anything. I guess they could have a new standard only for death penalty cases:

"SERIOUSLY, beyond any reasonable doubt." ;)

Robert Goren
01-05-2010, 12:37 AM
I once had long talk with a anti-death penalty lawyer. He made a lot of sense about life without parole. The main problem is what do we do with people keep on killing while they are in prison. He did not have an answer of that.

kenwoodallpromos
01-05-2010, 02:25 AM

Are you talking about Squeaky Fromm, who tried to kill Ford in front of thousands, and got parole; or Sirhan Sirhan, who got life instead of death?
I'll be against the death penalty when someone in authority signs me a guarantee that the killer will NEVER get out by parole or escape.
The past is the past; we can make DNA evidence a requirement of death penalty.

newtothegame
01-05-2010, 04:20 AM
As someone else here pointed out, it is not without flaws. But, it is what it is. There will always be those cases...(and I would imagine wayyyyyyy less then 1%) that are innocent. But, I will gladly take my chances that we got the right person based on those numbers. Our courtse have become too politically correct in my opinion. Lawyers are nothing but money hungry slobs who will stop at NOTHING to get their clients off. This is a result of our politically correctness. Yes Goren, we know about the less then 1% who are truly innocent. But what about the other 99.999% that are guilty as hell that you pay for through taxes?
Most of Todays cases (with technology) are as sound as you can get. Before the DNA and other sources of verification, I am sure that innocent people went to their deaths. But, again, a small number.
I say they put a max on time a person can sit on death row. One year? That should be ample time to prove your innocence. After that, throw the switch!
I believe that the cruel and unusual punishment is just another lawyer tactic to prolong the life of a sorry SOB who committed a crime and took the life of another. Why should we allow a person who was found guilty to live when the victim was not given that choice? Sorry...THROW THE SWITCH!
I would also go so far as to say that I believe the "deterent" in the death penalty doesnt work as these criminals know there is a slim chance they will get death. Wonder what the murder rate is in a less tolerant country? I would imagine it to be alot lower then here.

lsbets
01-05-2010, 06:12 AM
One instance of the state taking an innocent man's life would be one too many, sadly it happens more often than that. I have no problem with killing guilty people, but our system is too flawed. For that reason, I am against the death penalty.

cj's dad
01-05-2010, 08:21 AM
One instance of the state taking an innocent man's life would be one too many, sadly it happens more often than that. I have no problem with killing guilty people, but our system is too flawed. For that reason, I am against the death penalty.

Poorly trained police, overzealous DA's, politically motivated Atty. Generals,
dumbed down juries, etc.... can and have led to wrongful verdicts/imprisonment.

Found guilty of murder-rape-etc... ??

How 'bout this:

Life without parole in a 4' x 8' cell, no exercise, same meals 3 x a day, no visitors, no TV-radio-magazines, and barring extraneous circumstances, never to set foot outside of the cell.

To me that would have to be worse than death.

lamboguy
01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Poorly trained police, overzealous DA's, politically motivated Atty. Generals,
dumbed down juries, etc.... can and have led to wrongful verdicts/imprisonment.

Found guilty of murder-rape-etc... ??

How 'bout this:

Life without parole in a 4' x 8' cell, no exercise, same meals 3 x a day, no visitors, no TV-radio-magazines, and barring extraneous circumstances, never to set foot outside of the cell.

To me that would have to be worse than death.from the punishment aspect of this you are 100% correct. if all i had to look forward to is life in what you have just described, i would rather have the death penalty working for me. the dealth penalty is like a present to these scumbums who are to chicken to kill themselves, but like to inflict pain on victims and family's. i say keep them alive and torture them on a regular basis.

canleakid
01-05-2010, 11:36 AM
when that person is found guilty of a death penalty crime and no doubt that that person did it, they get the option of:

1. Life without parole in there cell (7-24), same meals 2 x a day, no contact from the outside world ever!!!!!!!!. OR

2. They will be executed in 60 days, so they can think about it.

tzipi
01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
when that person is found guilty of a death penalty crime and no doubt that that person did it, they get the option of:

1. Life without parole in there cell (7-24), same meals 2 x a day, no contact from the outside world ever!!!!!!!!. OR

2. They will be executed in 60 days, so they can think about it.

I agree with that! If it's a no doubt and DNA lock down case then cell tourture or semi quick death penalty(sloowly electrocuted IMO). Just can't stand the defense of these sickos when they raped and killed a child.

prospector
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
i'm for shorter appeal times..
guilty today...dead tomorrow
years on death row is a joke..