PDA

View Full Version : Would this benefit Horse Racing?

Ejmenz
01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey everyone, 1st post from an old crusty horse player who loves the game.

My idea would require cooperation of the powers that control the major racing circuits in America. (I know, but we did land on the moon)

Sell each race number to a major sponsor. Example Coca Coal buys the 1 Horse, McDonald's buys the rights to horse 2.

Introducing every person, at every race track in America Everyday! to any product, has tremendous marketing value. Every time a race reply is run across the country, one of those products will receive valuable exposure, every time someone asks you who you have in the next race, the number and the product associated with that number will come to mind, and either could be mentioned.

That could be worth 100 million a year per number.

Horse Racing would also benefit from more TV exposure, it can only help if huge corporations benefit from races being broadcast nationally.

Here's what to do with the revenue this advertising generates.

1. Take care of ALL JOCKEYS EVERYWHERE, pensions and medical benefits.
2. Take care of ALL BACKSTRETCH EMPLOYEES, pensions and medical benefits
3. Take care of ALL RETIRED EQUINES, stable to table must stop NOW.
4. If there is anything left over, lower the takeout for the players.

Players understand there won't be anything left, but I'm betting most of them would be happy to see the top three needs addressed.

Horse Races aren't just being ran for 1500 people at Philly Park on a random Tuesday, they are being viewed all over the country, it's the Nascar effect times 1000.

I can tolerate Joe Talamo in Coca Cola silks, as a matter of fact I would welcome it with open arms, we need the help.

Ed.

andymays
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the Board. :ThmbUp:

Offering solutions to problems is always good.

Here is an article by a smart guy. It could pertain to what you're talking about.

Positioning Racing – Perhaps for the First Time

http://www.r2collective.com/content/2010/01/03/positioning-racing-perhaps-for-the-first-time/

Excerpt:

If we look at business history there are numerous examples of successful companies who have positioned themselves and stuck with that positioning message:

Walmart positioned itself as a leader on price. Low prices are what we think of when we hear the name Walmart.

Mercedes positioned itself as class, power, speed and excellence. It is not a car, it is an experience.

In an often used example, Avis positioned itself as the “#2 car rental brand,” but said “we try harder.” That resonated with people (they stood out by saying they were not #1) and positioned them as a can do company who wants your business.

In 1969 Coke’s slogan was “the real thing”. They were a part of Americana and that slogan was embraced by their customers. In 1985 when they became “New Coke” and directly challenged that position in a consumers mind, we all know what happened. It was a complete disaster, one which they were forced to rectify within three months.

http://www.r2collective.com/content/2010/01/03/positioning-racing-perhaps-for-the-first-time/

andymays
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Sponsor deals not smooth as silks

By Claire Novak
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=4735765

Excerpt:

It happened not so long ago, before the Belmont Stakes of 2003, a groundbreaking moment ironic in its lateness -- especially considering the evolution of the times. Executives with Visa, then-sponsor of the Triple Crown, called the unannounced move "ambush marketing," expressing extreme displeasure at sharing valuable airtime with Wrangler, the logo worn by Stevens and ultimate winner Bailey on Empire Maker, and Anheuser-Busch, worn by third-place finisher Santos aboard Funny Cide.

Earlier in the year, several riders had been fined $500 each for simply wearing the Jockeys' Guild logo, a 3x5 patch, hand-sewn onto the pants leg of their right thigh above the knee. By 2004 they were threatening a boycott of the Kentucky Derby as the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority attempted to enforce a rule that banned advertising "not keeping in the traditions of the turf." A lawsuit ensued in the aftermath, with Bailey, Santos, eventual Jockeys' Guild chairman John Velazquez and others acting as plaintiffs in the case. And although the riders ultimately won the right to wear advertising based upon first-amendment rights, the battle over sponsorships continues to this day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=4735765

Charli125
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I think that's a great idea, and I'm still shocked that there isn't more advertising involved with our sport. I too could tolerate Talamo in Coca Cola silks, it wouldn't detract from my viewing experience at all.

Horseplayersbet.com
01-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Advertising is a great idea, but you need an audience first. And that audience is only going to happen because of lower takeouts. You need winners to get others to become interested.

In Ontario, horse racing is all over the tubes but nobody watches. So you can't put the cart in front of the horse, it doesn't work.

nijinski
01-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Ny Dad said that the movie theaters would have newsreels and sometimes
would feature racing greats .
These days I would target the internet also for marketing.

BTW we discussed Sting on another board .
Moss has named three significant horses after his family and music,
I think he may want to try a new venue to name his horses after.
Other than his wife winning twenty five grand on Giacomo named after his son,I have not seen any support towards horseracing .
But then again he doesn't have to I guess.

Zman179
01-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Oh great, I can see it now: Being screwed out of a nice Pick 4 by the Vaseline 6 horse.

Jackal
01-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Lowering takeouts would bring more gamblers into racing. But racing's PR problems are much deeper than takeouts. Most people here in Raleigh, NC have never heard of Zenyatta. The local TV stations would rather show a 20 year old movie than a horse race.

I don't know how to make racing visible. Maybe the NTRA should write NASCAR and get their secret weapon.

Pace Cap'n
01-05-2010, 07:15 AM
How would you like to be sponsor and get stuck with #7 in California?

lamboguy
01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Lowering takeouts would bring more gamblers into racing. But racing's PR problems are much deeper than takeouts. Most people here in Raleigh, NC have never heard of Zenyatta. The local TV stations would rather show a 20 year old movie than a horse race.

I don't know how to make racing visible. Maybe the NTRA should write NASCAR and get their secret weapon.you are 100% correct. horseracing has a built in natural asset over car racing, its fan participation. its not all that simple but how can you expect a business to grow when the main participants of the show are constantly being punished, the owners and the bettors. its one thing to charge a high takeout, but the bettor is getting nothing for paying this high takeout, just a bigger screwjob. as far as the owners go, the sport is built around the larger owners not the smaller guys. yet the bigger guys need to be able to dump their lessor horses onto the smaller guys. but the bigger guys want to lower the lesser races purse's and raise their own purses. the numbers don't add up to running cheaper horses in cheaper purses. the public don't like watching sore horses either. to many random results.

castaway01
01-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey everyone, 1st post from an old crusty horse player who loves the game.

My idea would require cooperation of the powers that control the major racing circuits in America. (I know, but we did land on the moon)

Sell each race number to a major sponsor. Example Coca Coal buys the 1 Horse, McDonald's buys the rights to horse 2.

Introducing every person, at every race track in America Everyday! to any product, has tremendous marketing value. Every time a race reply is run across the country, one of those products will receive valuable exposure, every time someone asks you who you have in the next race, the number and the product associated with that number will come to mind, and either could be mentioned.

That could be worth 100 million a year per number.

Horse Racing would also benefit from more TV exposure, it can only help if huge corporations benefit from races being broadcast nationally.

Here's what to do with the revenue this advertising generates.

1. Take care of ALL JOCKEYS EVERYWHERE, pensions and medical benefits.
2. Take care of ALL BACKSTRETCH EMPLOYEES, pensions and medical benefits
3. Take care of ALL RETIRED EQUINES, stable to table must stop NOW.
4. If there is anything left over, lower the takeout for the players.

Players understand there won't be anything left, but I'm betting most of them would be happy to see the top three needs addressed.

Horse Races aren't just being ran for 1500 people at Philly Park on a random Tuesday, they are being viewed all over the country, it's the Nascar effect times 1000.

I can tolerate Joe Talamo in Coca Cola silks, as a matter of fact I would welcome it with open arms, we need the help.

Ed.

Racing would do this in one second if there were companies that were interested. Problem is, there aren't. National companies sponsor things that tens of millions of people watch, like NFL games, not things that a few thousand people watch, like racing on a weekday. The best bet would be to approach local companies who might want to get their name out on a local level by sponsoring races. In fact, I imagine this is already done. So, this is pretty hopeless as the market stands today.

RichieP
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
How would you like to be sponsor and get stuck with #7 in California?

:lol::lol::lol:

Ejmenz
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I appreciate all the responses.

I don't even watch Nascar, but I do know the Tide car and the Home Depot cars, and they only race once or twice a week, there are plenty of horse races streamed all over the country daily,.

If Coke isn't interested Pepsi just might be, Horse Racing needs to find all the Avis's and help them try harder.

It's a lost revenue stream our great game can't do without.

lamboguy
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I appreciate all the responses.

I don't even watch Nascar, but I do know the Tide car and the Home Depot cars, and they only race once or twice a week, there are plenty of horse races streamed all over the country daily,.

If Coke isn't interested Pepsi just might be, Horse Racing needs to find all the Avis's and help them try harder.

It's a lost revenue stream our great game can't do without.no question you are on the right page here. in order to get there you will need a few steps to put the whole procedure in place. lowering takeout would help but unfortunately it is NOT the answer. the answer is we need to deal with the credibility of the sport, and there are lots of issues to address under that category. i know exactly how to do and get $100 million dollar handles on saturday afternoons in new york. unfortunately, the guys that have the power are the problem right now and they are hanging on for dear life.

BUD
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
The Powers that be--Must clean up the game-No Lugit Co--wants to associate its brand with riff raff--Even if its just perceived---

This all should have bee done years ago---Go out now ad fight for the Ad Dollar
Its a tough market--

First step--As Bud Used to be the Beer of the NFL--Coors bought em out---
They should get a Official Beer of Horse Racing--Even if its Keystone--Its a Start--And $$$$---

Then Work from the Bottom Up----Hire 1099 Ad Execs---Move from there to Open The door---

It is possible--

Horseplayersbet.com
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
The Powers that be--Must clean up the game-No Lugit Co--wants to associate its brand with riff raff--Even if its just perceived---

This all should have bee done years ago---Go out now ad fight for the Ad Dollar
Its a tough market--

First step--As Bud Used to be the Beer of the NFL--Coors bought em out---
They should get a Official Beer of Horse Racing--Even if its Keystone--Its a Start--And $$$$---

Then Work from the Bottom Up----Hire 1099 Ad Execs---Move from there to Open The door---

It is possible--
You need to advertise winning horseplayers. Horse racing is gambling and it makes its money by having more gamblers.
http://cangamble.blogspot.com/2010/01/if-you-want-horse-racing-to-grow-you.html