PDA

View Full Version : Last night

chickenhead
01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
You guys'll like this

Around midnight, it sounded like someone had unleashed the dogs of hades right outside my window, I thought for a moment some gigantic beast was trying to tear a hole in the side of my house, amazing racket, and then everything went dark.

Turns out all it was was a monstrous bit of oak tree breaking lose from my neighbors yard and smashing down on the roof of my truck while tearing down all the power lines.

The road was completely blocked, I see this am they chainsawed the offending bit there, but I still have a several thousand pound limb complete laying on and engulfing my truck. Guess my morning project is to go find someone with a chainsaw and bribe them with free firewood to cut me free.

Quick internet verdict says it falls under act of god, meaning its on me, rather than their HI. (shakes fist at sky).

swami13
01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
If the tree was in bad shape and the neighbor knew it and should have taken it down, then it would be on him, If it was healthy tree then your right, act of the big boy upstairs.
Damage to your truck would come under your comprehensive coverage, shouldn't effect your rates.
It appears 2010 is starting off with a bang for ya....

bigmack
01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Few years back I'm golfing BigHorn in Palm Desert. Step up to the 8th tee where there's a huge saguaro cactus, been there forever. I says to the 3some 'that thing looks like it's about to go'. Sure 'nuff in my backswing the behemoth succumbs. It sat there for a while and I named it Frasier.

You know - "Down goes Frasier"

Chick - If your roof is smooshed down just ride with your head out the window. But keep your tongue in.

boxcar
01-03-2010, 02:29 PM
You guys'll like this

Around midnight, it sounded like someone had unleashed the dogs of hades right outside my window, I thought for a moment some gigantic beast was trying to tear a hole in the side of my house, amazing racket, and then everything went dark.

Turns out all it was was a monstrous bit of oak tree breaking lose from my neighbors yard and smashing down on the roof of my truck while tearing down all the power lines.

The road was completely blocked, I see this am they chainsawed the offending bit there, but I still have a several thousand pound limb complete laying on and engulfing my truck. Guess my morning project is to go find someone with a chainsaw and bribe them with free firewood to cut me free.

Quick internet verdict says it falls under act of god, meaning its on me, rather than their HI. (shakes fist at sky).

Ouch! Sorry to hear of troubles. Not a good way to start the year off. :(

Was any of your neighbor's tree overhanging onto your property?

Boxcar

DJofSD
01-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I have to take the same line as Boxie. Who's tree is it -- city or a neighbors? Your insurance company will want to know.

Take pictures before you do anything.

chickenhead
01-03-2010, 03:14 PM
it goes on my comp insurance, the neighboring owner paid for a tree service guy to come cut up the wood and we gave it to the neighbor, it'll be at least a cord so he's happy. Remains in play whether I can get the owner to pick up my deductible to save himself any further hassle.

I just feel bad for my poor truck, I hadn't planned on parting with it so soon. It served me well. :(

boxcar
01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
it goes on my comp insurance, the neighboring owner paid for a tree service guy to come cut up the wood and we gave it to the neighbor, it'll be at least a cord so he's happy. Remains in play whether I can get the owner to pick up my deductible to save himself any further hassle.

I just feel bad for my poor truck, I hadn't planned on parting with it so soon. It served me well. :(

Don't feel too badly. It's just a hunk of steel (well...let me rephrase that: more plastic than steel, in this day and age, probably). Anyhow, it's replaceable so it could have been a lot worse.

But having said that... R.I.P. truck.

Boxcar

bigmack
01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Remains in play whether I can get the owner to pick up my deductible to save himself any further hassle.(
Don't tell me that neighbor has a kid your girlfriend gave a pomegranate to for Halloween. This could be revenge from over 3 years ago.

098poi
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Feel glad you weren't in your poor truck!

chickenhead
01-03-2010, 05:54 PM
yes indeedy, we're very happy no one was outside, and that it missed the house. No lack of perspective on that. Just a bit peeved about getting forced into an outlay I hadn't been planning on, that truck had a good many years left in it.

Don't tell me that neighbor has a kid your girlfriend gave a pomegranate to for Halloween. This could be revenge from over 3 years ago.

we still get a lot of chuckles from that, last trick or treater we ever had.

Tom
01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Put in for a bail out.
Tell them the truck is too big to fail. :lol:

JustRalph
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Put in for a bail out.
Tell them the truck is too big to fail. :lol:

The Tree was too big to fall!!!

sandpit
01-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Similar story, but no damage: A couple of summers ago I was working at Hollywood Park. A few days before the American Oaks, I was watching some of the foreign horses school in the far ring of paddock late one morning. As I stood there in the stillness, I started to hear this cracking sound to my left. For those of you who haven't been there, there are 2 big palm trees at the paddock exit that goes into the tunnel. Anyway, I looked over just in time to see this huge hunk of one of the trees come crashing down right onto the paddock exit gate, sending palm tree debris everywhere. It made a tremendous amount of noise, scared the hell out of all the horses that were a good 150' away. First thing I thought was how lucky the track was that didn't happen while the races were going on, since there is always somebody standing around right there.

Dave Schwartz
01-04-2010, 02:00 AM
We had a tree coming down a few months ago and, from what I learned, while the tree itself is not covered, the damage it causes is.

In addition, I believe the damage caused to someone else's property is almost always covered.

But I could be wrong...

http://www.treelaw.com/articles/mij.11.2.96.html