PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands, Sat. Jan. 2

markgoldie
01-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Again, we must temper any plays with the knowledge that we have no consistent performances at the Big M to go on and that won't happen until the horses get a few races under their belt. So we're just looking for some possible value.

Race #3 is interesting. At first look, it would seem easy to conceed the race to either the #3 Majectic Jackpot or #6 Real Joke for the obvious reasons. Both are off of super-sharp qualifiers and both have established ability. Of the two, I prefer Real Joke slightly because the horse appears to be developing fast, whereas Majestic Jackpot has a better-established form from 25 lifetime starts. But are these two all there is in the race? Here, I would say "no".

Lou Pena's #2 Lil Rock N Rustler is an apparent recent acquisition coming off a !:55.4 jog at Freehold. How good is this horse? That, I submit is a question that we can't answer prior to the race. There are, however, some things we do know. First, the horse DOES have some background ability, having posted a 1:54 flat mile at Fraser Downs last year. But the turnaround since the most recent Fraser lines in early November is nothing less than shocking. And so we ask: Where is the bottom to this animal? Since the answer is unknown, the horse automatically becomes a candidate to win this heat.

Therefore, my main play will be a 2,3,6 exacta box, with a little extra on an expected lower-priced 3,6 exacta box.

Race #10 #6 Mystery Chase. Ships in from The Meadows in razor sharp form. The Meadows numbers have traditionally held up well at the Big M and this horse sports very representative numbers for this field. Nice chance to upset at what should be a reasonable price.

Race #12 #8 Theredandpanlines. Another Meadows shipper with numbers good enough to win. Downside here is the connections of Burke and Sears guarantee a low price.

GL to all brave Meadowlands warriors.

markgoldie
01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Little Rock and Rustler gave a decent accounting of himself with a fourth-place finish in here at 8.40 -1, but is apparently a few lengths off of this caliber. Still, no regrets. We had to find out. As it turned out, the 6-3 exacta paid $12.40 so there was profit in the race anyway.

In the 10th Race Invite, Blatantly Good was just that- too good for this bunch including Mystery Chase who finished second and paid $4.60 and $4.00 in the place and show holes.

In the 12th, Theredandpanlines won easily and I actually think the $5.00 mutuel was something of an overlay. With the Burke/Sears connection going for him, as well as a major edge in raw numbers, I thought we would have been looking at somewhere around 4-5. So 3-2 wasn't bad.