PDA

View Full Version : Longshot Picks for Sat, Jan 2

Ray2000
01-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Betting Win and Exactas as shown

Freehold R13.....5 Creased Card-6/1....................................Exacta on top 5/163
The BigM R7......2 Weekend Gambler-8/1 ...........................key bx w/51 (Contest race pick)
The BigM R8......5 Albert Chief A-8/1 Good win effort at Fhld. Exacta on top 5/329
The BigM R9......1 The Perfect Escape-8/1 .........................key bx w/24 (Contest race pick)
The BigM R10.....7 Mystery Chase 8/1 (pp6)........................no Exacta.. (Contest race pick)
The BigM R11.....5 Cessna Flight-8/1 28- FQT at YR.............Exacta on top w/10,1,8
Woodbine R2......2 Novadane Pepercorn-7/1 First Time Claimers, 3horse Ex box 264
Windsor R1........2 Good Long Life-8/1.....Soft field,................3horse Ex box 276

Good Luck Everyone

fmolf
01-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I have just entered the harness contest at the meadowlands.....last time i played the trots was 35 yrs ago at roosevelt.as a teenager with my grandpa.I do not know much and hope to have a few questions answered.

1)
a)what are the little numbers to the right of the track condition?
b)What do the lines under or over some of the race dates signify?
c)What do the little circles mean next to the beaten lengths
in the positional calls mean?(racing one or two over?)
d)What are qualifiers and why do horses need to run in them and why
some and not others?
e)Do standard breds bounce like thoroughbreds do?
f)What is more important early speed or late speed?

.....Thank you for any and all information that any harness guys may
provide for me.All information and or tips will be helpful to this
novice.

Thanks...Frank M.

Ray2000
01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for posting Frank, and also thanks to all the other first time posters I've seen lately..

a)what are the little numbers to the right of the track condition?
...Temperature °F the DTV is after the driver's name

b)What do the lines under or over some of the race dates signify?
....this one has me stumped... as do the underlined horse names in finishing order somebody else know?

c)What do the little circles mean next to the beaten lengths
.......in the positional calls mean?(racing one or two over?)........... yes

d)What are qualifiers and why do horses need to run in them and why
some and not others?..... originally to show "bet-worthy-ness" meaning horse must stay on proper gait trot or pace and be able to go in some minimum race time (originally 2:10). If a horse already is racing then he must re-qualify if off more than 30 days or if he made breaks (xx's) in his last 2 races on a track not listed as an off track that day (gd, sy)

e)Do standard breds bounce like thoroughbreds do?
see reply #3 by Markgoldie... good info
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65199

f)What is more important early speed or late speed?
early speed with sustained effort in stretch is best

Canadian publisher program guide
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/files/program.pdf

some Harness program abbreviations

http://www.oddsonracing.com/bettors_corner_handi_read_program.cfm

I hope others here can supply more detailed answers but it's a start

Good Luck!

Sinner369
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Ray...........I think you answered all the questions..........except "b".....

.........As for "b".............Can either of you provide an illustration or a race line sample of what this line is?.........I have not seen this in the programs that I have?

sinner

Ray2000
01-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Sinner369

The free program for today's bigm contest races 1/2/10, available at the Survival contest site shows what I think Frank is referring to.

Some of today's drivers are underlined some are not, it looks like the line is on top of the date or under the driver name.

Maybe Frank can be more specific if this isn't the line.

I just noticed ...it's date related not driver related
ALLAMERICAN IDOL 18/Oct 09

Tom-Oh
01-02-2010, 02:42 PM
The BigM R10.....7 Mystery Chase 8/1 (pp6)........................no Exacta.. (Contest race pick)

Mystery Chase is actually number 6 not 7 Ray. I too used this horse as my contest pick for tonight. :6: !!!

fmolf
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Sinner369

The free program for today's bigm contest races 1/2/10, available at the Survival contest site shows what I think Frank is referring to.

Some of today's drivers are underlined some are not, it looks like the line is on top of the date or under the driver name.

Maybe Frank can be more specific if this isn't the line.

I just noticed ...it's date related not driver related
ALLAMERICAN IDOL 18/Oct 09
thanks to all who answered and yes the line is under some driver names at the top but also further down under certain race dates.I thought this could like in tbredd pp's indicate a layoff but that seems not to be the case here.

Sinner369
01-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Ray2000:

Ray I'm not in the contest so I cannot access the program...............Is there any place else where I can see the pages???

sinner

DeanT
01-02-2010, 03:43 PM
the only lines on my TM program underneath the driver/in the running lines, signify a break of 1 month or more (before the last pari-mutuel race.)

harness2008
01-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Do the lines above/below some of the race dates have anything to do with layoffs of more than a month? I have seen these used in some thoroughbred PP's but have not come across anything for harness. Just a guess but it may be that.

fmolf
01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Thank you Dean...that is what it is 30 days or more between pari-mutual races.That explains why a line is sometimes further back in the pp's as well.

my selections in tonights contest races are:

R7).. :5:..Andy Roo
R9).. :5:..Pilgrims Toner
R10) :5:..Winbak Speed

Ray2000
01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Sinner
The example I listed was no good anyway, (I don't know what's the matter with my brain today).

here's a clip of the lines in a TMaster Woodbine program.

Tom-Oh... thanks,

The BigM R10.....#:6: Mystery Chase 8/1 is my play
(I really should drink the coffee before 'capping in the AM)

My contest name is..... shellgame

DeanT
01-02-2010, 04:42 PM
30 day or more layoff for that horse too Ray. He was Vet scratched lame on the 28th.

fmolf
01-02-2010, 05:57 PM
30 day or more layoff for that horse too Ray. He was Vet scratched lame on the 28th.
yes it denotes a layoff or a layoff from pari-mutual races........I am going to have to get lucky as this contest is my first foray into anything harness.Last night i would have lost my lucky horseshoe and been playing it conservative for awhile.This format lets everybody go longshot hunting no grinding it out here!In the t bred contests here and at monmouth i like the knockout aspect of it.How does the summer meet contest work at the meadowlands if they have one?

DeanT
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Woodbine R2......2 Novadane Pepercorn-7/1 First Time Claimers, 3horse Ex box 264

Hadnt looked until now. I am shocked this horse is priced so low!!

GL!

Ray2000
01-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Yes, I saw that $42,000 earnings last year/$20,000 tag and scratched my head:)

6/1 right now

Just missed a $ 88 Exacta at Windsor, caught the winner, but no big price

DeanT
01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Maybe he is lame. No claims. He looks ok out there, imo.

I dunno.......... since i bet this horse awhile back against the horse who was chalk in the 75 claimer at the M last race, I gotta swing.

Good luck to us :)

DeanT
01-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Ray, I think we should not like the same horse........... they are dead lame when we do. I think that is the second time now.

That was ugly. Portends a good evening :D

Ray2000
01-02-2010, 08:05 PM
that's the truth:)

a Messed up race, hope Ouellette, and Waples are Ok
the 2 looked ok before the race but looked bad racing

Ray2000
01-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Survival Contest..... only got 1 pick to place

Freehold R13.........456 no ...............placed $5.00
The BigM R7.........315 no
The BigM R8........5310 Winner $7.00 Exacta $35.40