PDA

View Full Version : Tech's Mike Leach suspended

ElKabong
12-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Craig James (former SMU great, now abc/ espn analyst) kid was slighted/ abused/ whatever by Leach's staff after a concussion ~ 2 weeks ago. More has come out since 2 days ago when this became news, lot of it is he said- she said stuff.

What makes this very interesting, esp to old SWC fans, is that this whole thing has a 31 yr old history to it. Want to see the connection? Got this from Hornfans. Also note that James was Ron Meyer's first blue chip to commit to SMU in their first recruiting heist that eventually led to their death penalty yrs later--- the ties were still there when the hammer came down in 1986.
==============================

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=6120678&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

former Texas governor/chairman of SMU board of regents Bill Clements okayed payments to at least twelve SMU ponies. Then, he ran for governor again in 1986-defeating Democratic congressman turned Republican Kent Hance in the primary. A year or so later, Clements nominated Hance to the Texas RR Commission, and Hance was later elected in his own right. Now, former SMU largess recipient (matching Transams???) turned "rancher" and ESPN analyst Craig James decides he will seek Kay Bailey Hutchison's US Senate seat. His tow-headed progeny is awarded an undeserved football scholarship to Texas Tech, probably against the better judgement of mavericky non-conformist head coach Mike Leach, almost certainly at the behest of now-Tech Chancellor Kent Hance. (R-rosacea) The boy can't cut the mustard, makes a jerk of himself on regional TV (taunting penalty vs. OSU) and falls into disfavor with Leach. What does all this mean? Probably nothing. It's just that these old-boy political relationships go back for decades, and Mike Leach is not a part of said network. Somehow, some way, I think it possible that this is a political move on the part of a neophyte would-be candidate, and he is calling in old alliances to vanquish the uppity Leach that humiliated junior.

cj
12-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure we'll ever know the whole story, but this doesn't seem like Mike Leach. If the kid's dad wasn't Craig James, it would have been dismissed by now in my opinion.

ElKabong
12-30-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm with ya, if this kid were John Doe 3 star recruit no one w/h heard of this.

I like Craig James, always have. This whole thing stinks tho. Before last yr's Cotton Bowl he made a comment that Tech seemed flat in practices. Even if it was true it smacks of a player's dad that didn't like the HC...Then this yr during a game he made the comment that Tech was unprepeared for Ole Miss in the cotton. Not sure if he was picking on Leach for looking for another HC gig, or if he just didn't like Leach.

Imagine a lot more will come out. For sure Leach won't be out of a job for long. Espn would love to have the guy. He's a hoot. Also, lower tier D1 schools w/b after him.

Leach the entertainer. I watch these once a month just for the laughs...enjoy. "You're gonna be dead 100 yrs from now anyway. Live dangerously".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBsXzvENpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSPcMXWJjUg

Valuist
12-30-2009, 09:43 AM
From what we've heard, James' kid is an arrogant jerk. Only problem is, Leach hasn't denied the accusations. His lawyer is making statements insinuating the kid isn't hurt, despite the fact the doctor said he had a concussion. Mild concussion or not, THAT still constitutes being hurt. And now, of all times, with so much focus on the seriousness of concussions shows how stupid Leach is. I'm really sick of coaches who have the "God complex".

cj
12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Reports now that Leach is fired.

Marshall Bennett
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
That's unfortunate , what a load of crap !!

boomman
12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
From what we've heard, James' kid is an arrogant jerk. Only problem is, Leach hasn't denied the accusations. His lawyer is making statements insinuating the kid isn't hurt, despite the fact the doctor said he had a concussion. Mild concussion or not, THAT still constitutes being hurt. And now, of all times, with so much focus on the seriousness of concussions shows how stupid Leach is. I'm really sick of coaches who have the "God complex".

Valu: Regardless of whether Jame's kid is a jerk or not, if this is true (and like you said, Leach hasn't denied it) the firing of Leach is 100% spot on! In addition, I agree 100% with your statement that coaches that go over the line like Mangino did at Kansas apparently think they're above the rules and with a university that also hired Bob Knight I'm sure they gave these coaches a long rope when it came to disciplining their players. I assume that Craig James does indeed have a bone to pick with Leach, but as soon as he stuck that kid in a dark corner with a CONCUSSION (twice if true) ALL BETS WERE OFF! I also assume that some of the players stood up for Leach because they didn't like James, but come on guys, this type of "God complex" coaching can't be tolerated!!!!:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Boomer

onefast99
12-30-2009, 06:06 PM
TT did what they felt was right. If they didn't have sufficient information to suspend Leach they would of backed off. It is apparent they had plenty to suspend and now fire him.

ezrabrooks
12-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I always admired Gerald Myers...but he is officially a bum in my book. Mistreat a kid? And who was the former Tech Basketball coach, that Myers supported?

TT faithful will be up in arms, with Gerald now looking to see who has his back..

Dahoss9698
12-30-2009, 06:21 PM
TT did what they felt was right. If they didn't have sufficient information to suspend Leach they would of backed off. It is apparent they had plenty to suspend and now fire him.

I think there is way more to this story. I think a lot of it has to do with money (big surprise) and I think Tech was looking for a way to get out of having to pay Leach. They got it.

After Leach sues (rightfully) I think his name will be cleared.

ElKabong
12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
, but as soon as he stuck that kid in a dark corner with a CONCUSSION (twice if true) ALL BETS WERE OFF! I also assume that some of the players stood up for Leach because they didn't like James, but come on guys, this type of "God complex" coaching can't be tolerated!!!!:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Boomer

You don't have the SLIGHTEST of clues here. A "dark corner"? The bldg is bigger than a garage, it's called the "O-LINE garage" b/c the bldg is used by O-lineman during practice breaks and after practices. It is not a "room". It's used by 15-20 kids on a regular basis.

Also, there were 3 people in there (a GA, a training staff member and a UG) when he was put in the garage. He wasn't alone in there...People suffering from concussions are hyper sensitive to light (hence, pris madonna boy wore shades during the practice), so that's where the kid was instructed to go, under supervision.

Leach doesn't like the kid for a lot fo reasons. Keep up with the subject for more than the last day, you'd know at least some of the reasons why.

ElKabong
12-30-2009, 09:40 PM
but as soon as he stuck that kid in a dark corner with a CONCUSSION (twice if true) ALL BETS WERE OFF! ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Boomer

Here boomer, check out your "dark corner" LMAO.

http://www.kcbd.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=4421239&at1=News&h1=EXCLUSIVE&rnd=82482480

ElKabong
12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
I think there is way more to this story. I think a lot of it has to do with money (big surprise) and I think Tech was looking for a way to get out of having to pay Leach. They got it.

After Leach sues (rightfully) I think his name will be cleared.

I agree.

Add in Bob Knight was at Tech recently....this is minor stuff. purely a political/ ego move and Hance can say he trimmed the bottom line all the while.

Tech just fired the most successful coach in their history given their current competition level. They'll gradually slide back to Baylor and Iowa State most likely. Deservedly so.

cj
12-31-2009, 12:15 AM
I imagine they will have a hard time landing a decent coach after this.

As I suspected, Leach is probably being hung out to dry over money at the first opportunity. Really strange stuff.

CBedo
12-31-2009, 12:19 AM
I imagine they will have a hard time landing a decent coach after this.

As I suspected, Leach is probably being hung out to dry over money at the first opportunity. Really strange stuff.This is really weird stuff. He's been there for quite a while, and not one other incident has come to light? This combined with the money issues, combined with James's history and attitude, sure make it seem like Leach is getting a raw deal. We'll probably really never know.

Robert Goren
12-31-2009, 12:30 AM
What is really sickening the way ESPN is reporting this. They are acting like Fox covering Bush or MSNBC covering Obama. I suppose they have to back one of there own, but... I have always had a lot of respect for Lou Holtz, but tonight he lost some of it.

rastajenk
12-31-2009, 08:31 AM
This may work out great for Leach. Somebody will get him quickly. I think Brooks is about done at Kentucky, they'd probably love to have his style. If they can hire Calipari, they'd have no problem with this kind of petty stuff.

sandpit
12-31-2009, 09:39 AM
This may work out great for Leach. Somebody will get him quickly. I think Brooks is about done at Kentucky, they'd probably love to have his style. If they can hire Calipari, they'd have no problem with this kind of petty stuff.

I wish KY would hire him, but they have already named their OC, Joker Phillips, the "coach in waiting" a couple of years ago...he's a UK alum and their main recruiter, so I don't think they would undercut him, but who knows...

Robert Goren
12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I love the spin on this story. First there was all this stuff about the kid being locked in a closet. Nobody bought that. They are now to point where the line is "there are no winners or losers here" Nobody is buying that either. The loser is ESPN who has lost its creditability.

cj
12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I love the spin on this story. First there was all this stuff about the kid being locked in a closet. Nobody bought that. They are now to point where the line is "there are no winners or losers here" Nobody is buying that either. The loser is ESPN who has lost its creditability.

I agree, sad display of journalism.

PhantomOnTour
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Man this thing has gotten NASTY. The coach and the kid will both be losers when the dust settles.

So many angles here: did Tech not wanna cough up the bonus next year? is this kid really a spoiled SOB? is Leach an SOB?

Just wondering who wins here????

boomman
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM
You don't have the SLIGHTEST of clues here. A "dark corner"? The bldg is bigger than a garage, it's called the "O-LINE garage" b/c the bldg is used by O-lineman during practice breaks and after practices. It is not a "room". It's used by 15-20 kids on a regular basis.

Also, there were 3 people in there (a GA, a training staff member and a UG) when he was put in the garage. He wasn't alone in there...People suffering from concussions are hyper sensitive to light (hence, pris madonna boy wore shades during the practice), so that's where the kid was instructed to go, under supervision.

Leach doesn't like the kid for a lot fo reasons. Keep up with the subject for more than the last day, you'd know at least some of the reasons why.

I don't give a rat's ass what the size of the room was and if Leach liked the kid or not. The fact of the matter is, and I watched the crap the Atty was going over that you posted and all that is the precursor to the lawsuit he's going to file. It was totally PUNITIVE. They had the trainers there to make sure the kid didn't attempt to sit down. They just signed him to a long extension, and we're supposed to believe that Leach got set-up? B/S!!!'
Leach got caught crossing over the line, EXACT same thing Mangino did. I know who's "clueless" here:bang:

Boomer

CBedo
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I think all these years of "boosting kid's self esteem" are coming back to roost. Not keeping score in pee wee ball, everyone playing, etc. Telling them, they're all winners. Geeze, it's football, not basket weaving. I once had a coach unzip his pants and threaten to pee on an injury if a player didn't get up--"is there a bone sticking out? then get off the field!"

ElKabong
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't give a rat's ass what the size of the room was and if Leach liked the kid or not. The fact of the matter is, and I watched the crap the Atty was going over that you posted and all that is the precursor to the lawsuit he's going to file. It was totally PUNITIVE. They had the trainers there to make sure the kid didn't attempt to sit down. They just signed him to a long extension, and we're supposed to believe that Leach got set-up? B/S!!!'Leach got caught crossing over the line, EXACT same thing Mangino did. I know who's "clueless" here:bang:

Boomer

Check out the link below....As I stated before, you have NO clue on this subject. None at all.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-09/1231newleach.pdf

Read these emails from Regents and a couple of high profile alums/ boosters. Then go back and read the bullshit you posted. A year ago there were a short # of people looking to dump Leach (obviously this is news to you). Hance was waiting for the right spark to pull the trigger. Good thing he talked Leach into giving Jones' kid a 'ship, eh?

Yes he was being teed up for a buyout & the boot. If someone (YOU) didn't have prior knowledge of what went on they'd look like a fool.

ElKabong
12-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Here Booman, let me make it easier fo you. You seem to be far behind the facts on football in this part of the country....

The link I just provided (emails among the chancellor, regent and boosters), scroll down to page 4. Then, post what the 2nd sentence says. You know, the one that outlines how they're going to fire Mike Leach after the 2009 season .....Go on, I'll wait :lol:

sandpit
12-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Read these emails while I'm killing time waiting to watch Tennessee/Va. Tech. They would seem to give Leach quite a bit of leverage when he ends up in court. Were these things published on some news media outlet somewhere? How do they get published; does someone leak them to the press? Plenty of embarrassing stuff in there.

ElKabong
12-31-2009, 07:43 PM
The emails were published today.

Knowledge of them definitely have been out there b/c the Tech boards last winter had all kinds of talk of regents and a booster getting tired of Leach doing a Bob Stoops on them (floating your name when an opening comes up, getting a huge raise- Stoops did this about every yr from 2001-5) & wanted him gone.

And yes, when this hits the courthouse Leach will make out very, very well. It clearly outlined Sowell directing Hance to shitcan Leach. People in west Tx know Sowell runs the program from his office. They can't take a dump w/o his permission.

Those emails prove it, now.

cj
01-01-2010, 12:36 AM
As I said before I knew any information, this one just didn't pass the smell test. Anybody following the Big 12 and Mike Leach knew there was some BS here.

ElKabong
01-01-2010, 01:31 AM
It sure had an odor to it, cj.

Makes me never want to listen to espn again, they just put out what certain folks want out. Looking back, the same folks (Tech) tried to paint Leach as a bad guy last season before the bowl. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Craig James sniping at Leach on espn....Now everyone knows what the deal was-- the (small & influential) inner circle out there didn't like him and wanted him gone. Period. If they had to call on an old political friend (James), then so be it.

Look at all the Tech boards right now. They're going absolutely nuts. A lot of donors are pulling out, and asking (1) Hance and Sowell to relinqush their posts, and (2) writing the gov's office asking Perry to remove Sowell as the BOR immediately.

Not mentioned in here is the Bob Knight throwing a plate of food at the (then) chancellor of Tech at a Lubbock cafeteria right in front of Gerald Myers (AD) yrs ago. Myers did nothing. Small potatoes compared to putting a kid in a garage supervised by 3 guys.

It's shit like this that turns people off college sports. My brother went to Tech in the Donny Anderson/ John Scovell/ Tom Wilson era. They lost the respect of a lot of casual Tech fans like me, who have an allegiance to another U but still "like" their program given the tradition.

That went down the drain this week... screw Tech.

onefast99
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Here boomer, check out your "dark corner" LMAO.

http://www.kcbd.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=4421239&at1=News&h1=EXCLUSIVE&rnd=82482480
It surely does look like someone is telling a few tales to make Leach look bad.

bisket
01-01-2010, 07:50 PM
i lost all respect for espn in the way they reported the colts leaving baltimore, and then tried to make baltimore look really bad for "taking the browns from cleveland". they have been selling the nfl's moves shamelessly for years, and basically gave a free pass to irsay when he moved the colts. then tried to make our town look really bad when we basically played the game the way the league wanted it to be played. when jacksonville and carolina recieved the expansion franchises i told everyone that would listen that both nashville and baltimore would have teams in a very short time. everyone failed to realize that money wise both baltimore's and nashville's bids were much more lucrative than jacksonville's and carolina's. the league basically kept the best offers for themselves, and gave the new owners the smaller opportunities. espn basically was the nfl's personal media relations team :lol: this behavior by them is no suprise to me.

cj
01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
i lost all respect for espn in the way they reported the colts leaving baltimore, and then tried to make baltimore look really bad for "taking the browns from cleveland". they have been selling the nfl's moves shamelessly for years, and basically gave a free pass to irsay when he moved the colts. then tried to make our town look really bad when we basically played the game the way the league wanted it to be played. when jacksonville and carolina recieved the expansion franchises i told everyone that would listen that both nashville and baltimore would have teams in a very short time. everyone failed to realize that money wise both baltimore's and nashville's bids were much more lucrative than jacksonville's and carolina's. the league basically kept the best offers for themselves, and gave the new owners the smaller opportunities. espn basically was the nfl's personal media relations team :lol: this behavior by them is no suprise to me.

Baltimore didn't even have cable television when the Colts moved. I'm glad I missed it.

Three words why Baltimore didn't get an expansion team...Jack Kent Cooke.

delayjf
01-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I once had a coach unzip his pants and threaten to pee on an injury if a player didn't get up--"is there a bone sticking out? then get off the field!"

Classic example of a "dangling" participle. :lol:

PhantomOnTour
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
The rumor now is that Leach is headed to the Oakland Raiders. Wow Al, really?

That would be par for the course in Raider lala land lately.

bisket
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
it would be a mistake for the raiders to fire their coach at this point

Robert Goren
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
However it would not be a mistake to fire their owner.:lol:

PhantomOnTour
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
However it would not be a mistake to fire their owner.:lol:

Bad news Raider fans: Al Davis' mom lived to be a hunnerd years old! No kidding.

cj
01-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Leach allegations come out in the lawsuit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828405

Personally, I tend to believe him.

ElKabong
01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Sad deal all around, isn't it?

Leach suing his fmr employer basically kills any chance to get a HC job equal to Tech. No powerful U is going to take him on. "Enormous State U" won't take on a litigating high profile employee. I hope ECU hires him....if not, it's only a matter of time till a tv network takes him in.

As for Tech, Tubby will have a couple of decent years, then spiral downwards. In Leach's tenure he won about as many bowls as Tech did in its history before he came. And it's not like Tech was some backwater gig before 2000. Also of note, Tech fired the asst's that defended Leach openly during the mess. Lincoln Riley and Ruffin McNeal.

And Craig James can say goodbye to the senate seat. He's come out the worse of all. No one likes him anymore, or his kid.

cj
01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
And Craig James can say goodbye to the senate seat. He's come out the worse of all. No one likes him anymore, or his kid.

In the end, that is going to be the story...a jerk dad and his brat kid.