PDA

View Full Version : More computer problems

ljb
06-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Yesterday I installed a memory stick. After some help from this board. While messing around with puter i made it come up with a internet block from zone alarm. I could get around this but it bothered me so I just deleted Zone arlarm. Now when I fire up I get a message
"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or Windows application.
The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
vsdata95.vxd
Press any key to continue"
What do i do now?

Dave Schwartz
06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Try reinstalling zone alarm and then "removing it" instead of dealting it.

Dave

JustRalph
06-19-2003, 12:08 AM
LJB

boot up, go to "start" "run" type in "regedit" when the registry editor opens hit the "F3" key and in the search box put in the missing file name "vsdata95.vxd" and then search for that. Every time the search stops it should have that file reference highlighted. Just hit your delete key on your keyboard and delete the reference. Then hit "F3" again and let it search again. Repeat the deleting process until it searches your whole registry. When it is finished, close the registry editor and restart your computer. That should fix it. There is tons of info on this error on the web, zone alarm is evil when it goes wrong and if you didn't uninstall it right....your toast. If you want more info, try a google search, click here; http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=vsdata95%2Evxd+file+is+missing

The steps I gave you above should take care of it though. Although there are some other users that had more problems based on Zone alarm and the uninstall going haywire. Little late to turn back now. This is one of the few times I have clicked on one of your messages that are on my ignore list. Amazing that a right wing, mouth breathing slack jawed conservative might be able to help you out huh? I would understand if you decide to ignore my advice...... morally speaking it would be the right thing to do?

ljb
06-19-2003, 07:04 AM
Thank you both for replying to my question.
Tom I did not post correctly, I did in fact remove the Zone alarm program using windows add/remove software program.
JR the regedit routine worked. I have refrained from posting any political opinions for about two or three weeks now. I did this because my main reason for using this site is to glean knowledge of playing the ponies and the political debate appeared to be getting in the way of this.
I will continue in my abstinince (sp) even though, as time goes on it appears I have been right all along. :)
But thanks for the help with my computer.
ljb

Racehorse
06-19-2003, 10:07 AM
Zone Alarm

>>>>>" While messing around with puter i made it come up with a internet block from zone alarm. I could get around this but it bothered me so I just deleted Zone arlarm. "

wow
seem like a bit of overkill to me

I would NOT be without ZA .. I have it on all five of my boxes ...now, the free version has been troublefree for me .. did have a small problem with the paid version back a couple of years ago .. NONE since then ....

what "block" did you come across that you found it necessary to delete ZA?

Ralph ....
good method of solving the problem using the registry editor ...
but,
you said ===== " zone alarm is evil when it goes wrong and if you didn't uninstall it right....your toast"

I have only "heard tales of" a few difficulties ... but it does seem that the ones who have had problems have reaaaaaaaly had problems ... and I participate on a few internet forums where ZA is discussed from time to time ...
BUT
the registry editor ...
NOW that CAN be a tricky place in which to travel ...... gggggg

horse

JustRalph
06-19-2003, 10:59 AM
I didn't mean to imply that it is any more "mean" than any other program that gets interrupted during the setup routine or the un-install. The nature of the beast is different than your run of the mill app though. Most of the files carry names that are a little harder to find (they don't sound like zone alarm?) and after working 6.5 years supervising a Tech Support Call center that took up to 10,000 calls a month, I have some special experience on fixing things. Stuff you don't normally see. When ZA gets out of whack it can be a bear because it can block all internet access and manually deleting the files and registry entries can take all day. When it's good it's good, when it's bad, it is harder to fix than many. For most users it will never be a problem. But it can be....... although I think it is a damn fine firewall. Be aware that there are places on the Internet where the actual code and ways of breaking through ZA are posted? But with a linksys router for $39 now? why not get a hardware based firewall and really feel safe?

Lefty
06-19-2003, 12:35 PM
ljb, I cannot resist, Right about what? You have been right avbout nothing.

Racehorse
06-19-2003, 01:22 PM
thanks, Ralph ...

didn't mean that your answer was anything but great .....

and you def have a lot more experience than do I with ZA, and I can tell, all computer difficulties ...

I'm pretty impressed with the built in firewall with XP, and as you said, a router firewall, too ...

I have used Belkin, Linksys, D-link, Hawking, and a few more myself ..
I'm a bit weak on the wireless aspect, due to the potential security "leak" via the airwaves ... but
the Belkin four holer I've got right now is very nice, especially for the $25 bucks it cost me .....

horse

JustRalph
06-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Racehorse
thanks, Ralph ...didn't mean that your answer was anything but great .....and you def have a lot more experience than do I with ZA, and I can tell, all computer difficulties ...I'm pretty impressed with the built in firewall with XP, and as you said, a router firewall, too ...I have used Belkin, Linksys, D-link, Hawking, and a few more myself .. I'm a bit weak on the wireless aspect, due to the potential security "leak" via the airwaves ... but
the Belkin four holer I've got right now is very nice, especially for the $25 bucks it cost me .....
horse

Wireless is great. I have set up a few networks with a couple of different brands and in my opine it is the best thing that has happen to home users who want a full network. The stuff they are doing with wireless camera's is awesome. Plug a camera in the wall outlet turn it on and it logs into your system and you can view it from any terminal in the house and via the Net. Instant security system. Very cool....

The security stuff is a slight question but encryption is available, but for most people not needed.

Racehorse
06-19-2003, 01:59 PM
security ...

LOL

I am a bit paranoid I'll admit.

I have several dedicated machines ... some for security ...

I have my trading machine with NO internet browser access.. nothing else on the box but a Java screen ....

and,
as far as email .. I really get paranoid there ...
my email box is email only ... not even network access or a line where I'd be tempted ....

I use one of my two dialups for it and ZA has to ask permission to even open a window when I get a hotlink in an email ....

I use cable for my normal web stuff.

yes, I do think wireless is the coming thing .. but, all too well, I can recall overhearing cordless phone converstations from my neighbors come in to my house and be heard on my intercom system ... ggggggg

that was, of course, a while back ..well before the 900mz and whatever the new one is for cordless ..

I did have a friend of mine have some difficulty with his trading account due to being "hacked somewhat" via his wireless ... he got that straightened out easily, tho ...

can you happen to tell me what I could expect from DSL via SBC ....
my 3 Sprint cellphone contract will expire later this year and Cox is going up on the cable price AGAIN ...
and I'm going to get Dish or Direct, but will have to keep basic cable to keep internet ..
so
I'm starting to look into DSL

the deal on SBC for all my local/longdistance/internet coupled with Dish is starting to have some appeal ...

DSl has just become available here, so I know of nobody who has it yet ....

any idea?

horse

JustRalph
06-19-2003, 05:09 PM
I am very happy with SBC DSL. But being in California I am not sure how closely related the Texas outfit will be. As you probably know, the services are about infrastructure. Ask around in your area for the real deal. I got rid of all of their crappy software and streamlined the connection via a router etc. It works great for me. In the last 6 mths only been down about a total of 4 hours (3 hours was announced maint.) so far so good.

Oh yeah.....with the security you have implemented I would recommend 20mg of Valium twice a day. :D