PDA

View Full Version : Harness Handicapping Team

Tom-Oh
12-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Alright, where to begin...

I'll start with some background on myself, I'm 18 years old, I live in New York, and have been playing the harness races for about a year now. My dad has been playing them for over 30 years and has shown me how to handicap and bet. About 8 months ago I got very serious with the sport and began buying books, software, and other various things to improve my handicapping to the best it could possibly be. Although I haven't been in the sport for many years like most of you have, I've absorbed A LOT in these 12 or so months. I remember about 3-4 months ago I couldn't even maintain a positive ROI, Sea Biscuit and LottaKash helped me focus on my betting based on my bankroll and now I keep my bets "sane" and win more often and lose less often.

Now for the team part, I've never seen this done before, it may be done already, but I've never seen it myself... I want to start a "team" of harness handicappers. By a team I mean, a select 5 or 6 guys that can meet up in a chat room or a conference call type of thing on Skype and share picks and ideology for the days races. I feel when you play by yourself there is always a piece of you that wishes you had someone else to give you an input before placing your wager, I know I do. I think that a group of experienced players can really benefit to a players ROI and I'm looking to start one.

Please reply if you're interested! And leave a little background on yourself!

Thanks!

** Oh, and if anyone thinks this type of "team" is a bad idea or just flat out stupid, Feel completely free to let me know. Like I said, I've never seen this done before, and there may be a reason for that? If so, I don't know about it, so let me know :)

Red Knave
12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
You don't have to go anywhere but here to find a Chat room. Check the menu.

Also, as far as teams go, you'll find that the biggest bettors in the country, the whales, use a team approach although probably not quite the way you were thinking. I've tried it semi-successfully in the past but, like most things to do with guys and money, it can break down due to ego and emotions. A team needs a boss.

And finally, don't let your 12 months experience go to your head. It's great to be on the plus side of the ledger in any endeavor but keep your mind open to other ideas, both the good and the bad. It's a marathon not a sprint. :)

FWIW, I think it's great that someone as young as you is interested in horse racing.

Tom-Oh
12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm not taking 12 months of experience to my head at all! The main reason I'm looking to start a team is to have some veteran players with YEARS of experience to be a second conscious when I display my picks. I have a LOT to learn about this game and I'm eager to learn more every day. I actually have a few tournys I entered coming up to try and win a spot in the NHHC this year.