PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Park turf

Valuist
06-18-2003, 11:49 AM
I don't play Del a whole lot but I swear I can remember them running races on the turf last year. I haven't seen one turf race there this season. Either I'm hallucinating or there is being work done on the course? If that's so, anyone know when it will be ready?

BillW
06-18-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
I don't play Del a whole lot but I swear I can remember them running races on the turf last year. I haven't seen one turf race there this season. Either I'm hallucinating or there is being work done on the course? If that's so, anyone know when it will be ready?

They're writing them (2 were taken off yesterday). Guess it's just too soggy.

Bill

Valuist
06-18-2003, 12:09 PM
So no work is being done? I realize it seems to rain every single day on the East Coast but going thru the Weekly Charts there have been a number of "fast" track days yet no turf. So apparently they will be carding grass races then.

BillW
06-18-2003, 12:13 PM
I don't know ... but I assume if the races are scheduled, the track +/- weather is available to race on. 4 and 6 today are scheduled on the turf.

Bill

Valuist
06-18-2003, 12:15 PM
OK thanks.

Lots of opportunities to run on the weeds in you are a grass horse based on the East Coast.

cash2
06-18-2003, 09:13 PM
i'm a regular at DEL and this is what i've heard on the backside. the turf course was replaced last year, and i'm told that it didn't really "take". it looks nice, but the root system is pretty shallow. consequently, the mgmt. is being super cautious, esp with the unending rain here.

Valuist
06-19-2003, 09:28 AM
I thought Arlington was conservative in babying the course before the Million. Del has been racing for almost 2 months now, and I believe still hasn't run a turf race. The explanation makes sense, though. I'm guessing you won't be seeing any turf sprints over the course.

sq764
06-19-2003, 09:42 AM
I live in Delaware and trust me, its never rained even half as much as it has this year in the 30 years I have been on this Earth.

There is no way they could have run on the turf of yet, there hasn't been 2 days back to back where the turf could dry.

I can now see why so many people commit suicide in Seattle.

Valuist
06-19-2003, 04:37 PM
So it's the rain. Here I thought they were killing themselves because of all that grundge rock. LOL

ranchwest
06-20-2003, 03:13 AM
I've noticed several days on the East Coast when the main track was listed as fast and the turf course was off.

sq764
06-20-2003, 11:39 AM
There is just no time for it to dry out, but the dirt course does.

I woke up this morning and had off today, looked out the window and guess what, its pouring again.

So Delaware Turf races will not be happening this weekend either.

cash2
06-20-2003, 10:39 PM
hey sq, i live in wilmington too, and it's raining just as much on me as it on you. that said, you are 30 years old , i'm in my mid fifties. don't want to pull age on you but ... hey why not? as long as i can remember, DEL kicked off its turf season on memorial day weekend. granted, memorial day was early this year, but DEL carded no turf races the week thereafter, nor did they card a turf race the subsequent week. which says to me... we have problems. it's more than just the rain.

Suff
06-21-2003, 01:32 AM
I tip my Hat to all the Grounds Crews in the North east. They've been going like Gangbusters for 8 months non-stop.

It got cold and wet in November 2002......and its has not stopped since. We have not had three nice days back to back since August of 2002. Almost a year. This winter really affected me. Maybe beause I'm older now........But as I told a few of my friends this spring. If next winter is anything like this winter. I'm gone. I love Boston. But I'm not going to stay here if its cold and wet 8 months a year. I'm thinking Florida. Gulf Coast.

I Hold a Union Card with Mobility rights. I can go anywhere in the USA and they have to put me to work.

BillW
06-21-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns

I'm thinking Florida. Gulf Coast.

suff,

If you're working outside make sure you spend a few weeks vacation down here first. Today was 90 degrees and 55% humidity ... by most standards a cool and dry day (It was cloudy). The humidity does make the turf grow green as hell (I'm not sure what FG does to their's?) Nothing more exhilerating than watching a stampede of thoroughbreds navigating across the Connely turf course at HOU. (There, did I pull that back on topic nicely :))

Bill

Suff
06-21-2003, 01:58 AM
I lived in Miami for just shy of two years.

NW 36th and 98th. 4 blocks from Doral Country club. Yup the summers were deadly. But Playing Golf at 8:00 am on February 2nd in 85 degree weather with NO Humidity is Mind Boggling awesome for a Yankee.

this on topic thing feels like a Chain aound my neck. Does every single cotton pickin word gotta be DEAD on topic.....

sq764
06-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Hey Sufferin, the rain postponed the big series with the Phillies and Sox.

I am torn, I love the Sox, but my loyalties lie with the Phillies!

(Although ever since they got rid of Mike Greenwell, I have been upset with them. Not sure why I liked watching that guy play)

Suff
06-21-2003, 10:36 AM
I have NO idea why they rescheduled for Sept 1st ?? They play today and tommorrow....why no Double header? These are the issues with interleague play. We only play the Houston Astro's for one THREE game series in Texas. One rain out or two and how do you make that game up? They are not coming to Boston this year and we are not going back to Houston.

We got Pedro going Today. He's a BIG road favorite in Philly .

sq764
06-21-2003, 11:36 AM
They had a big bobblehead day scheduled yesterday (Mike Schmidt), so I think that's why they rescheduled. They had 50-60,000 fans expected and you know damn well they want their bobblehead.

Tomorrow they are giving away Steve Carlton bobbleheads.

Valuist
06-23-2003, 01:27 PM
They actually carded a couple grass races for today, but not surprisingly, they've been moved to the main track.

sq764
06-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Today is honestly the first totally sunny day we've had in like 2 months..

the turf should dry out, its supposed to be like 92 here tomorrow and sunny and in the high 80's the rest of the week.

CumberlandBluesHSH
06-23-2003, 04:31 PM
>>>We only play the Houston Astro's for one THREE game series in Texas.

Ya got that backwards suff.....I was at Fenway a week ago for one of the Astros games....they came here, we don't go there. Agreed tho in general about ILP being a mess...I don't like it - the hassles introduced by rainouts in ILP series are just one of many reasons not to like it. ILP should be reserved for October - the less I hafta watch pitchers hit, the better.

As for the topic at hand...I haven't been playing turf races lately, so the off the turf races don't make it into my queue of races at all.

Valuist
06-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Sq764-

Did the weather hold up again yesterday? I didn't get to see any of Del's races on Tuesday. Is it possible they may actually run on the turf today??

sq764
06-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Very possible..

It is hot as hell here. I walked out to the car this morning at 7:30 and it was 80 degrees already. Supposed to get to 96.

2 feet of snow over 3 days in the Winter
18 of 20 days torrential rain
then 96 degrees

Valuist
06-25-2003, 09:43 AM
I thought our weather here in Chicago was bad. At least it didn't rain every day here for 2 months.