PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't work at all !

BIG RED
12-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I have an e-machines DT / WinXP
This computer has not been online for quite some time.
Wed. night I watched a couple of DVD's on it, then shut it off.
XMas eve I went to it to put on and play all my old classic Xmas songs, this is what I got. 2 things happened.

I heard the fan going at a high speed, but I also heard 3 low beeps coming from it. I waited to see if the fan calmed down, but it didn't, so I shut it off from the surge protector.
Waited a bit, then put it on again, same thing happened.
So I uplugged everything, let it sit for ten minutes, tried again, no luck....but I didn't hear the beeps this time, soo...
I unplugged everything again, cleaned it (it wasn't that bad), went for a PO'ed walk, then tried it.
The fan calmed down after a couple of minutes, but still nothing is coming from modum?
Here's where I stand now.
The fan runs high again
There are no lights on keyboard (I did punch all keys before to see if anything would happen)
The monitor turns on but says it is OK with maybe problem with connections or modum.
Modum does take power, but I guess it is not booting up and sending info out?
Speakers do click on

So, I am left with a blank monitor, non working keyboard, and no mouse working.I didn't do anything to it after watching the dvd, so I haven't a clue.

I am at a library right now, but will check back later today before they close. I have this feeling if I bring it to get fixed, they will tell me nothing is wrong LOL!

Any ideas guys? After today, don't know when I will be near a computer, so excuse me if I don't answer soon to a reply.
(I missed those songs :mad: )

wilderness
12-26-2009, 10:50 AM
emachine are notorious for faulty power supplies and motherboards from their beginning.

emachines entry into the market was to attract those interested in lesser priced models and that was accomplished by utilizing cheaper hardware.

Best thing you could do IMO is take it to a shop.

BTW, my machine (been using for six years) began as an emachine 2480, all that remains of that machine today is the original hard drive and Windows XP. Even had two keyboards fried in a power surge, which is unheard of.

headhawg
12-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Wilderness might be right, unfortunately for you BR. Three beeps usually is a keyboard error, but chances are that it means the motherboard especially because you mentioned that the fan is going crazy and you have no mouse. If that is the case you are better off buying a new machine unless the computer is still under warranty. I don't want to jump to any conclusions here so you might want to take it in (if the cost to diagnose the problem is reasonable).

BIG RED
12-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I was hope~ing that this wasn't 'fried' , still

HOPE~ING !

Dave Schwartz
12-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I did a Google for "Intel beep codes."
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Intel+beep+codes

This is what came up:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010249.htm

This document gives troubleshooting tips for when you hear beep codes and your desktop board does not boot up successfully.

You are getting 1, 2, or 3 beeps that indicate a memory failure.

1 beep - Refresh Error (with nothing on the screen and it is not a video problem)

2 beeps - Parity Error

3 beeps - Base 64 K memory failure

Reseat the memory.
Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.
Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. Note: Some systems might need to have a memory module in Bank 0.
Try using memory modules from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.
Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.
Trying known good memory in the system.
Check the power supply and check for power fluctuations.
If the steps above do not resolve the problem, the desktop board may be defective. Try a different desktop board.

098poi
12-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Unplug the machine. Press power button for 10 secs to drain any power held on MB. Then remove and reseat memory.

JustRalph
12-26-2009, 05:28 PM
there are two reasons you get beep codes

bad memory

bad video/if it is a separate card

re-seat both...........

otherwise ........go shopping........it is the mb

if it was the power supply......you probably wouldn't get the fan turning

BIG RED
12-27-2009, 02:21 PM
'Re-seat both' ?

Could one of you clarify on how to do that? I guess I could google it.

BIG RED
12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I googled it, simple enough I guess.

I'm all thumbs though, should be interesting!

BillW
12-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I googled it, simple enough I guess.

I'm all thumbs though, should be interesting!

Use a hammer :p

Hope you had a great holiday BR!

BIG RED
12-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Howdy Bill!

I see you are still comfortably numb :ThmbUp:

BIG RED
01-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Well I'll be. I wrote this thing off.

I did the memory and nothing. Almost gave up, till I could find a picture of my machines video card. It looked pretty strapped in there, but thor's hammer worked, and I reseated it......presto, computer back to normal. I like learning this crap too.

Whenever I have comp problamoes, I come here 1st~ and you guys did it again!
Thanks to all, really, and have a good new year.

BillW
01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Well I'll be. I wrote this thing off.

I did the memory and nothing. Almost gave up, till I could find a picture of my machines video card. It looked pretty strapped in there, but thor's hammer worked, and I reseated it......presto, computer back to normal. I like learning this crap too.

Whenever I have comp problamoes, I come here 1st~ and you guys did it again!
Thanks to all, really, and have a good new year.
:ThmbUp: I hope you and your computer have a great new year!

JustRalph
01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
You're welcome..............

Cherish the small victories of Over Technology........they are few :lol: