PDA

View Full Version : The NBA on TV

cj's dad
12-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I have not been to a live NBA game in 15 years and will never go to another.

I watched about 10 minutes this afternoon and the NBA has to be the most boring major sport to watch on TV. The repetition of play is never ending. Every trip down the court is the same old tired thing repeated over and over. I could not possibly sit through 48 minutes of this.

Boring !!

lamboguy
12-26-2009, 07:03 AM
true

Robert Goren
12-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Clear out one side and get a one-on-one. The NBA thinks people want to see 48 minutes of this. Their management is in training to run race tracks.;)

ElKabong
12-26-2009, 06:55 PM
I know I'm not the only one that heard Bob Knight say this on nat'l teevee ~ 30 yrs ago...."If I had the choice of watching an NBA game or two mice making love on tv, I'd choose the mice. (pause) Even if the screen was fuzzy".

classic.

cj's dad
12-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I know I'm not the only one that heard Bob Knight say this on nat'l teevee ~ 30 yrs ago...."If I had the choice of watching an NBA game or two mice making love on tv, I'd choose the mice. (pause) Even if the screen was fuzzy".

classic.

I never heard or read that quote but Bobby k was sure ahead of the times.

boomman
12-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I have not been to a live NBA game in 15 years and will never go to another.

I watched about 10 minutes this afternoon and the NBA has to be the most boring major sport to watch on TV. The repetition of play is never ending. Every trip down the court is the same old tired thing repeated over and over. I could not possibly sit through 48 minutes of this.

Boring !!

cj's d: TOTALLY AGREE! Will add one thing: I thought officiating was bad in the NFL until I caught a few minutes of NBA action when nothing else (sportswise) was going on Christmas Day. The officiating in the NBA is laughable, and I definitely believe that Donaghey was far from a "rogue" referee. He stated in his interview that certain refs have it "in" for players or favor others and I don't doubt it. Integrity? What integrity????:ThmbDown:

Boomer

Robert Goren
12-27-2009, 12:26 AM
What really is sad is that I used enjoy the NBA. Bird and Magic, I am just getting old.

cj
12-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I guess it depends on the teams. It is still a lot of fun to watch in person. I think with teams featuring superstars, the guys are so good (Kobe, Lebron) that it is the best strategy to just isolate and let them go. You can play the best defense ever in basketball, but good offense can always beat it.

I do agree about TV, it just isn't the same. Still beats the hell out of baseball, and football isn't much different with the ridiculous amount of commercials. I've literally seen this before:

Running play, quarter ends: Commercials
Pass play, complete for TD, review: Commercials
Overturned, running play, TD, extra point, Commercials
Kickoff, Commercials
Game resumes

In about 20 minutes, you had 4 plays run.

Robert Goren
12-27-2009, 12:36 AM
CJ, I sure you right about watching in person although I doubt that living Nebraska I will get see any games anytime soon. I do think that college hoops is really fun to watch in person. A lot better than on TV.

dav4463
12-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Maybe I am in the minority on a horse racing board, but if you go to www.spurstalk.com you will find a ton of fans who love the NBA like I do. Of course, it helps to be a fan of a team who still plays team basketball and is always in the hunt for a championship.

dav4463
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
As for the officiating, there are some great referees in the NBA. Danny Crawford and Steve Javie are two of the best officials in the game. There are plenty good ones, lots of average ones, and a few that are below average. It is still all relative though. The NBA on the whole has good officials who understand the game very well and work hard to be the best they can be night in and night out. However, just like players, they will have some tough nights. Being a great referee is not about getting every call right (that is impossible), it is about "managing" a game. The best game managers are the best referees. If the teams are getting too intense...tighten up....if you have a good flow...let 'em play. It's all about dealing with the flow of a game, talking to coaches and players and trying to keep it fair for each team to have an opportunity to win.

There may be a few instances where Donaghy types have bet the over/under and called some cheap fouls late or let some go to win a bet, but even Donaghy said the games were not influenced as to who would win. However, you wonder if the Lakers and Celtics get way more calls their way than the non-glamorous teams, but if that is true....how have the Spurs won four titles? It's human nature to make some bad calls based on reputation. Kobe gets the benefit of doubt more than Jose Barrea because he's Kobe, but it is like that in any sport. Referees have to make split second decisions based on the flow of a game, the situation, whether or not contact affects what a player is trying to do, etc...contrary to popular belief...."a foul is not always a foul." There are more "judgement calls" that have to made in an NBA game than in any other sport, and it takes work to be consistent and fair every time.

I am a high school basketball official and I could not imagine trying to officiate an NBA game. The intensity, speed, and sheer power of the players would be overwhelming to me. On the whole, I think the NBA refs do a decent job. Basketball is a sport that gives a team enough opportunities to overcome a few bad calls anyway. The best team usually wins out in the end.

GO SPURS GO !!!

cj
12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Maybe I am in the minority on a horse racing board, but if you go to www.spurstalk.com (http://www.spurstalk.com) you will find a ton of fans who love the NBA like I do. Of course, it helps to be a fan of a team who still plays team basketball and is always in the hunt for a championship.

I couldn't agree more. The Thunder are basically emulating the Spurs and play outstanding team ball. The amazing thing with Durant is he scores within the offense, not jacking up shots from all over the place with two guys on him like Wade, Kobe, and LeBron.

dav4463
12-29-2009, 11:18 PM
I love the way the Thunder play. They do have a "Spurs" feel to them. I think they will be a playoff (dare I say championship?) contender for many years to come.

skate
12-30-2009, 01:48 PM
yes sir, to me they appear to be in the same field

with Pro Resseling.,

No doubt, great athelets, but...

dav4463
12-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Pro wrestling isn't real? :eek: