PDA

View Full Version : Laptop suggestion?

only11
12-25-2009, 06:15 PM
My wife's x mas gift was a gift certificate from best buy..Im thinking about purchasing a new laptop,any suggestion,any input is appreciated.Thanks

judd
12-25-2009, 06:57 PM
sony vaio nice machine :ThmbUp:

hazzardm
12-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Two features have developed very quickly of late in laptops.

Extended battery life: Using new breed of Intel lower power chips, many laptops are approaching 8-12 hours of battery life.

Mobile quad-cores: If run-of-the-mill battery life is acceptable, laptops using Intel 720qm processor have broke through the <$1000 barrier. For gamers or video processing these are outstanding systems at that price point.

DJofSD
12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
A good friend recommended this new HP laptop (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv6tqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv6tqe_series) to me the last time we talked about PCs. He buys a lot of PCs for friends and relatives. He is into gaming along with keeping his wife happy by managing her digital photo library. He only had a little hands-on time to play with this new laptop to ensure it worked as expected. He was very impressed. And, his enthusiasm was great enough, I just might give to my son a some what older DM6885se so I can buy this new one.

One word of caution: HP was having some problems earlier this year with PCs using iCore7 mps. I don't know if all of those issues were eventually resolved.

RaceBookJoe
12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
MacBookPro is the best one i have ever used. Up until about 2 years ago i only used PC's...today i am running 3 Mac's ( 2 Imac's and a MacbookPro ) and 2 pc's. Good luck with your decision. rbj

DJofSD
12-28-2009, 01:25 PM
sony vaio nice machine :ThmbUp:
I have a Vaio. It's OK. I don't particularly like the touch/feel of the keyboard or the touch pad.

I find the HD display nice but you need to use the headphones if you want to watch a Blu-ray movie. Trying to use the Vaio as a Blu-ray player and to view movies on my HD TV via HDMI is a disaster. Yes, you can get it to work however due to HDCP restrictions you can not have both the feed to the TV and the laptop display working at the same time.

Battery life leaves a little to be desired too.

Robert Goren
12-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Don't buy too much. Most people buy a computor that is way more than they need and pay way too much for it. JMO

broadreach
12-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I've had a HP Pavillion dv9294 17" for 2 years...really had no problems :ThmbUp:

chickenhead
12-28-2009, 03:15 PM
depends on what you want it for. In the last year I bought a Samsung NC10 netbook, great for couch surfing and traveling with, and recently a Dell Studio 15 that I'm using as my desktop system. Both good at what they're meant for, the netbook was something like $400, the Dell $750.

tupper
12-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Don't let them sell you on an extended-warranty/service-contract: http://hdguru.com/extended-warranties-what-you-see-is-often-not-what-you-get-̶-an-hd-guru-investigative-report/460/ (http://hdguru.com/extended-warranties-what-you-see-is-often-not-what-you-get-%CC%B6-an-hd-guru-investigative-report/460/)

Here is a more general argument against extended warranties: http:http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/extended_warranty.html//www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/extended_warranty.html

There have been a lot of horror stories from Best Buy, in particular.

judd
12-29-2009, 05:30 AM
MacBookPro is the best one i have ever used. Up until about 2 years ago i only used PC's...today i am running 3 Mac's ( 2 Imac's and a MacbookPro ) and 2 pc's. Good luck with your decision. rbj
what is so strong about these macs ?

only11
12-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Don't buy too much. Most people buy a computor that is way more than they need and pay way too much for it. JMO
I agree,any suggestion

RaceBookJoe
12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
what is so strong about these macs ?

They are just a better machine, at least thats hwo i percieve them. Apple is a smart company. The macs start up very quickly and i have never had so much as 1 glitch with them. They all sync up very efficiently ( make a change on your calendar on 1 machine..it makes the change on your other one ) . The only problem with macs is that hey dont have the quantity of software..but you can always run windows on the mac through the program Parallels and there is another one also i think. Oh yeah, the other problem with macs is that they are expensive. rbj

only11
01-03-2010, 08:19 AM
i bought myself a toshiba satellite l505-ess5015 any opinion on how good this laptop might be,the warranty for 3 years was 299.0o.

tupper
01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
i bought myself a toshiba satellite l505-ess5015 any opinion on how good this laptop might be,the warranty for 3 years was 299.0o.Oy!!!

If you paid $299 for an extended an warranty, you got fleeced. You should have just burned your money -- at least you would have saved a little time.

Never buy an extended warranty, especially from Best Buy (see links above)!

Furthermore, don't ever go near a Best Buy (nor use Geek Squad). It is the biggest hard-sell, scam outfits. Here is yet another expose' on Best Buy that was posted just this morning: http://consumerist.com/2010/01/consumerist-investigation-best-buy-optimization-is-a-big-stupid-annoying-waste-of-money.html

only11
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Oy!!!

If you paid $299 for an extended an warranty, you got fleeced. You should have just burned your money -- at least you would have saved a little time.

Never buy an extended warranty, especially from Best Buy (see links above)!

Furthermore, don't ever go near a Best Buy (nor use Geek Squad). It is the biggest hard-sell, scam outfits. Here is yet another expose' on Best Buy that was posted just this morning: http://consumerist.com/2010/01/consumerist-investigation-best-buy-optimization-is-a-big-stupid-annoying-waste-of-money.html
i bought it at Hgregg,my wife said to buy the warranty it covers a whole lt.Do you know much about the computer i bought?

Robert Goren
01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I know the computer guys hate Best Buy and their Warranties. They probably are over priced, but I (like most people) know nothing about hardware repair and don't want to go back to school to learn, so it is an option. I actually have gotten 2 new computers from their warranties. Both were over 2 years old when they went down. As for hard sell, the last time I went to Best Buy to get a larger monitor, I had a hard time to get a sales person to even talk to me.

tupper
01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
i bought it at Hgregg...Hgregg accepts Best Buy gift certificates?

my wife said to buy the warranty it covers a whole lt.Please forward her the previous links.

Do you know much about the computer i bought?If it's a Toshiba, it probably comes with a one year warranty.

tupper
01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I know the computer guys hate Best Buy and their Warranties.Anyone who has been ripped-off by Best Buy is probably not very fond of that outfit.

The "computer guys" who have managed to avoid such perils might know something.

They probably are over priced...Actually, their up-front prices can be very competitive. The problem is leaving the store with your wallet intact. Also, don't expect them to be very cooperative with returns/exchanges/repairs.

but I (like most people) know nothing about hardware repair and don't want to go back to school to learn...If you can hook-up a stereo, you can easily build your own computer. The hardest part in building a computer is attaching the heat sink to the main chip (and the difficulty involves hand-eye coordination, not computer knowledge).

I actually have gotten 2 new computers from their warranties. Both were over 2 years old when they went down. As for hard sell, the last time I went to Best Buy to get a larger monitor, I had a hard time to get a sales person to even talk to me.Your story is an "exception to the rule."

Robert Goren
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
The computer guy at where I used to work talked a girl there into buying a $1800 machine , when all she wanted to do was surf the internet, email and print a few pictures. The computer guys away try to talk you into buying their dream machine when a cheap machine will do everything you need.

only11
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Hgregg accepts Best Buy gift certificates?

Please forward her the previous links.

If it's a Toshiba, it probably comes with a one year warranty.
Yes toshiba did come with a 1 year warranty.the salesman suckered my wife.

tupper
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
The computer guys away try to talk you into buying their dream machine when a cheap machine will do everything you need.I would advise most people to look at the "build your own" articles. Some machines go as low as $250. More common are $500 and up, and these machines have plenty of power.

Folks, in most computers, there are only eight internal components, and they are very easy to plug together. You don't have to worry about buying the ideal components -- the build-your-own articles tell you exactly what to purchase!

Furthermore, I would tell your ex-coworker to install a newbie version of Linux (a very easy process). She would have free, excellent software for all of her needs and much more, and she would never have to run an anti-virus program.

Anyone who goes through this simple, easy process would never consider purchasing a extended warranty.

hazzardm
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Yes toshiba did come with a 1 year warranty.the salesman suckered my wife.

Costco offers some nice pricing on computers, and throws in free tech support and 2nd year of warranty at no cost.

hazzardm
01-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I would advise most people to look at the "build your own" articles. Some machines go as low as $250. More common are $500 and up, and these machines have plenty of power.

I would question this approach. I have built hundreds of PC over the years (started back in the 80's) and still build my own, BUT .... I would be very hesitant to recommend this unless a good working knowledge of hardware and BIOS configuration is known. If there is a Micron store available in the area, buy the components there and they will assemble for a modest ($50?) fee.

Robert Goren
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I got talked in putting Linux on my machine once. It was on there for 8 hours, 6 of which I made him spend trying to get it off. I now figure that anyone who suggests installing it is dangerous.

tupper
01-06-2010, 04:07 AM
I would question this approach. I have built hundreds of PC over the years (started back in the 80's) and still build my own, BUT .... I would be very hesitant to recommend this unless a good working knowledge of hardware and BIOS configuration is known. If there is a Micron store available in the area, buy the components there and they will assemble for a modest ($50?) fee.I have only built one computer, but there really is nothing to it.

The only time that I have ever had to deal with the BIOS, is when I wanted to change the boot order (for a LiveCD/LiveUSB stick). Unless one wants to change the default settings, there is no need to worry with the BIOS to build a computer.

Besides, it is really easy to access the BIOS, and there have been a significant number of posts on this site recommending accessing the BIOS to change settings. So, it is not any big deal.

In regards to the working knowledge of hardware required to build a computer, one doesn't need to know much, but it might help to understand the basic function of each of the nine items inside a computer:

1. motherboard;
2. CPU;
3. CPU cooler;
4. computer memory;
5. video card;
6. a hard drive;
7. optical (CD/DVD) drive;
8. power supply;
9. computer case.

That's all there is to it. Certainly, many on this site probably already know the function of most of these parts. For those who aren't familiar with these basic items, I would be happy to explain each one.

One can pay a store to assemble the parts of the computer, but then one loses an important experience. Merely plugging these components together can liberate one from the typical sense of helplessness that many computer users feel.

tupper
01-06-2010, 04:22 AM
I got talked in putting Linux on my machine once. It was on there for 8 hours, 6 of which I made him spend trying to get it off. I now figure that anyone who suggests installing it is dangerous.Possible two hour install and a six hour uninstall?...that has to be a record!

Sidux linux installs a full system (with a lot of excellent software) in 5-10 minutes, with a few clicks of a mouse. The uninstall is quicker, unless one needs to reinstall Windows -- that takes a long time!

Furthermore, Sidux and many other Linux distros have LiveCD/Live USB versions, which allow one to try their version of Linux without installing it.

In regards to being dangerous for suggesting Linux, compaines such as Dell offer it pre-installed on many of their machines. Furthermore, most are using Linux already, without realizing it: embeded devices, web servers, kiosks, search engines, etc.

hazzardm
01-06-2010, 08:32 AM
One can pay a store to assemble the parts of the computer, but then one loses an important experience. Merely plugging these components together can liberate one from the typical sense of helplessness that many computer users feel.

Very good point.

headhawg
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM
First of all this thread is about a laptop which, while fundamentally similar to a desktop PC -- there are some significant differences. If you really want to build your own laptop then read this little article (http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=22). Then try shopping for the parts before you make the DIY decision.

While I would never consider buying a computer myself as I like the control over what parts are in my PC, one thing has to be pointed out -- you (the builder) are now responsible for your own warranty. There is no company to call when things don't work or when they fail down the road. And building a box is not cheaper anymore than simply buying one.

And for the recommendation that a Linux box does not need an anti-virus program that's just wrong. Browsers can be exploited so if the machine will be on the 'Net it still needs to be protected. Linux is less vulnerable to attacks, but not immune.

tupper
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
First of all this thread is about a laptop which, while fundamentally similar to a desktop PC -- there are some significant differences. If you really want to build your own laptop then read this little article.Internet forum threads often evolve into something very different from the OP topic.

Great article on building a laptop. Thanks!

one thing has to be pointed out -- you (the builder) are now responsible for your own warranty. There is no company to call when things don't work or when they fail down the road.The individual components usually come with warranties from the manufacturer.

For instance, my hard drive has a 3 year warranty, and Maxtor/Seagate have an extensive support warranty program: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/warranty_&_returns_assistance

Furthermore, the idea is that one learns the basics, so that one does not have to helplessly rely on long, step-by-step phone calls with customer service reps.

Solutions happen more quickly, if one is merely familiar with the basics. When something goes wrong, one can usually get help just by doing a simple web search. Swapping out a bad component is child's play, after one has assembled a computer.

And building a box is not cheaper anymore than simply buying one. Huh? What has changed?

And for the recommendation that a Linux box does not need an anti-virus program that's just wrong.I've been running various versions of Linux for eight years, both with and without a firewall, and not once has my computer been infected. I have never run nor installed an antivirus program.

There are four main reasons why there are practically no Linux viruses:
1. Linux has its roots in networking, so it is security hardened by default;
2. Exploits/bugs in open source software get patched immediately, when compared with the bugfix/patch time of proprietary OSs.
3. "Security by variety" -- there are too many different versions of Linux (currently, 306 active distros) for it to be an easy virus target;
4. "Security by obscurity" -- there are fewer Linux desktop users than there are for the much bigger target -- Windows.

Browsers can be exploited so if the machine will be on the 'Net it still needs to be protected.True. There are a few ways to exploit browser vulnerabilities.

However, like the Linux OS itself, browsers on Linux enjoy the "security by variety" advantage. Off the top of my head, I am aware of four different Linux versions of Firefox: Firefox; Iceweasel; Seamonkey; and Swiftfox. In addition, many of the different distros set-up and compile their browser versions in a unique way, making browsers an even more difficult target for a single exploitation.

Regardless of OS/browser, always use a firewall.

fast4522
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Many a good laptop deal is loaded with heaps of crapware that just makes a machine slow. I will always buy a hard drive that is double the size of the new laptop has in it and pop it out as soon as I get the unit home. Then I do a kill Bill as I install the os on the laptop and strip out what I deem to not run period and pop the original smaller hard drive into the static bag and tuck it away. Funny how I have never paid for a extended warranty or anyone to remove a virus.

headhawg
01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
The individual components usually come with warranties from the manufacturer. For instance, my hard drive has a 3 year warranty, and Maxtor/Seagate have an extensive support warranty program:I didn't say that parts don't come with warranties, I just mentioned that the builder has to deal with it him/her self. Let's say your main board goes out two months after you build the box. You can't call Dell and say fix my computer. You have to go through Asus, or MSI, or Gigabyte and they won't replace it. They will fix it and return it in about four to six weeks. Even if you buy the parts from NewEgg, you can't bitch at them. They will tell you to deal with the manufacturer. I mentioned it as potential builders have to take that hassle into consideration.

Furthermore, the idea is that one learns the basics, so that one does not have to helplessly rely on long, step-by-step phone calls with customer service reps.That may still happen if your part hasn't been returned/replaced.

Huh? What has changed?What has changed is computer manufacturers now sell 10s of thousands or even 100s of thousands of computers annually. They can buy parts in bulk for a lot cheaper than the general public can buy individual ones through an online store, local shop, or even a wholesaler. If you do the math you'll figure out that I'm right, all things being equal (like part quality).

I am an IT guy so you didn't have to explain Linux to me but that's fine and I don't disagree with you. But what I have found about Linux people is that they tend to talk about the pros of Linux without talking about the cons, like getting Windows apps to work with WINE.

tupper
01-07-2010, 02:15 AM
I didn't say that parts don't come with warranties, I just mentioned that the builder has to deal with it him/her self. Let's say your main board goes out two months after you build the box. You can't call Dell and say fix my computer. You have to go through Asus, or MSI, or Gigabyte and they won't replace it. They will fix it and return it in about four to six weeks.Well, perhaps the motherboard manufacturers might not "baby" the user like a big name computer manufacturer.

However, some motherboard manufacturers (such as Abit and Tyan) will cross-ship a temporary replacement board while they repair replace your problem board. Other manufacturers, such as Gigabyte have been known to have very speedy turnarounds (5 working days in this instance): http://forums.hexus.net/scan-care-hexus/143925-warrenty-gigabyte-motherboards.html#post1482342

Furthermore, the idea is that one learns the basics, so that one does not have to helplessly rely on long, step-by-step phone calls with customer service reps.
That may still happen if your part hasn't been returned/replaced.True, but it will definitely happen if one buys a complete computer from Dell, HP, E-machines, etc.

What has changed is computer manufacturers now sell 10s of thousands or even 100s of thousands of computers annually. They can buy parts in bulk for a lot cheaper than the general public can buy individual ones through an online store, local shop, or even a wholesaler. If you do the math you'll figure out that I'm right, all things being equal (like part quality).I have never seen a stock computer (with current components) go for less than buying the same individual components and building it myself.

But what I have found about Linux people is that they tend to talk about the pros of Linux without talking about the cons, like getting Windows apps to work with WINE.From what I hear, Wine, Crossover and other emulators and VMs work great with a lot of Windows apps. However, I have never found the need to run a Windows program in Linux, because there is so much excellent, free software that runs natively in Linux.