PDA

View Full Version : MY LIBRARY ADDITIONS

Jay Trotter
12-25-2009, 01:20 PM
I must have been a good boy this past year as Santa added to my handicapping library very nicely:

Exotic Betting - Steven Crist
How to Win the Pick 6 - Steven Kolb
Picking Winners - Andrew Beyer
Bet With The Best - Beyer, Brohamer, Crist, etc.

What did Santa bring you?

garyscpa
12-25-2009, 02:49 PM
He brought me the video "Let It Ride."

"I'm having a very good day!" :)

banacek
12-25-2009, 04:00 PM
He brought me the video "Let It Ride."

"I'm having a very good day!" :)

I got the new verssion of "Betting Thoroughbreds".

Speaking of "Let It Ride", I was at a Christmas party the other day and was chatting about movies with a guy and he mentioned Jennifer Tilly. I mentioned about her being in one of my favourite movies "Let It Ride", but that he probably wouldn't know about it because it's probably just a movie for horseplayers and he doesn't bet the ponies. "No way he said..that's a great movie!". He said you don't have to watch to be a horseplayer to enjoy it..to him it's just a movie about a guy having a great day....and he loved it.

sealman
12-26-2009, 03:52 PM
A classic movie. My favorite line: "Somebody die?"

only11
12-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I got the new verssion of "Betting Thoroughbreds".

Speaking of "Let It Ride", I was at a Christmas party the other day and was chatting about movies with a guy and he mentioned Jennifer Tilly. I mentioned about her being in one of my favourite movies "Let It Ride", but that he probably wouldn't know about it because it's probably just a movie for horseplayers and he doesn't bet the ponies. "No way he said..that's a great movie!". He said you don't have to watch to be a horseplayer to enjoy it..to him it's just a movie about a guy having a great day....and he loved it.
Have you read any of it?im thinking about buying it.

banacek
12-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Have you read any of it?im thinking about buying it.

Just starting. He begins talking about trip handicapping, which is a big part of my game. I've got the other two editions, but I'm sure I'll find a couple of nuggets in this one too.

Trotman
12-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I got the book Fortune's Formula by Poundstone. Great book,finished it in a day and a half could'nt put it down.
Now I will re-read it to go over some points.

fmolf
12-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I got the book Fortune's Formula by Poundstone. Great book,finished it in a day and a half could'nt put it down.
Now I will re-read it to go over some points.
yes an excellent read borrowed it from the library..

Robert Goren
12-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Now I will re-read it to go over some points. Very good book. I have always suspected that Time-Warner ( my cable company ) had its roots in Organized Crime.

dylbert
12-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Santa brought several nice items and one super one!

Books: The Training Game by Karen M. Johnson and Betting Thoroughbreds for the 21st Century by Steve Davidowitz

DVD: Trip Handicapping by Dan Illman

Cap: Black DRF

and my favorite Christmas gift from my children, a framed Skip Dickstein photograph of Fair Grounds at sunrise. An absolutely awesome image!

Donnie
01-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok. A lot of us didn't get anything horsey for Christmas. So what's new?

I am considering an Ebay auction. As many of you know I own probably 500+ books, tapes, systems, videos, etc. What kind of interest do you think there would be if I were to eBay any one item out of my collection with the entire collection being on the auction block? Premise of the auction would state: "The winner of this auction gets to choose any ONE item out of my entire horserace collection." I would then list many of the one-of-a-kind items or collectibles that I own. Do you think there would be any interest in just such an auction? All items would be originals, and would range from Taulbots work, to a 4-set of Silver Strikes that could only be won thru the slot machines at PRM featuring Seabiscuit, Man of War, Secretariat, and Sir Barton, to numbered horseracing prints by Fred Stone, to a large selection of books and tape seminars forever out of print.

Your thoughts?

banacek
01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Premise of the auction would state: "The winner of this auction gets to choose any ONE item out of my entire horserace collection."

Your thoughts?

As a regular ebayer, I'd prefer you just list what you want to sell, one by one. Some of the things you mention would get a different group of bidders I think. If you put up a Fred Stone print, I wouldn't be that interested. But a handicapping book I don't have (not that there are many :) ), would pique my interest.

castaway01
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
As a regular ebayer, I'd prefer you just list what you want to sell, one by one. Some of the things you mention would get a different group of bidders I think. If you put up a Fred Stone print, I wouldn't be that interested. But a handicapping book I don't have (not that there are many :) ), would pique my interest.

Yes, I agree. My eBay rule is not to trust anyone more than I have to. So, I'd be afraid that I'd win the auction and suddenly the selection would change. To prevent that, you'd have to have one auction at a time, but if you just sold items individually you could sell 10 or whatever at a time.

I personally haven't had much luck selling racing items on eBay, so I wish you the best.

MooseDog
01-06-2010, 07:38 PM
eBay doesn't allow "choose from a lot" type of auctions anyway, they would cancel your auction automatically once their keyword police found it.

Case in point, a lot of people who sell baseball cards try to list 50 cards in one auction, with the winner being able to choose one (or more cards) from the list.

eBay considers this fee avoidance, they want you to list all 500 items in individual listings so they can collect individual listing fees, final value fees and PayPal fees.

Donnie
01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
MooseDog--
as the late, great Johnny Carson would say, "I did not know that!"

Thanks for the heads-up!!

46zilzal
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
A great one is Handicapping Speed by Carroll. Intended initially for the quarter horse, he makes a great correlation to the upper limits of speed and how the aerobic and anaerobic phases change the final outcome.

Andrew Beyer really raved about this one.

only11
01-10-2010, 11:05 AM
A great one is Handicapping Speed by Carroll. Intended initially for the quarter horse, he makes a great correlation to the upper limits of speed and how the aerobic and anaerobic phases change the final outcome.

Andrew Beyer really raved about this one.
have you read thoroughbred form cycles by mark cramer?

46zilzal
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
have you read thoroughbred cycles by Mark Cramer?
It is worn through from so many readings although I disagree on many of the TRAINER manipulated cycles. They are much more rare than he suggests