PDA

View Full Version : Wagering Books???

sq764
06-17-2003, 10:54 PM
I always wondered why there are hundreds of handicapping books, but very few wagering books...

I always found the whole concept of structuring tickets was much harder than the handicapping part of horseracing.

Anyone have any suggestions on the top wagering books/systems?

Lefty
06-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Sq, there are prob. over a million ways to handicap and variations on handicapping nuances. A million variables, if you will.
But there's only a few basic wagering "schemes."
There's the flatbet, and progressive betting. You can progress after a win or progress after a loss. That's about it. The "Kelly"
"Square Root" Due Column or just variations of these basic concepts.
As far as structuring exotics there's a limited no. of ways to do ea. one.

hurrikane
06-18-2003, 08:49 AM
The best book I"ve seen on structuring exotic tickets is by Tom Walters...Exotic Wagering Formulas. You may be able to get it at Gamblers bookstore. I think they may be going into a 2nd printing.

Tom is a great guy...great mind. Teaches handicapping (with an emphasis on bet structure) at the U of Ky. He's a pro, very modest, and an all around honest guy.

Best 10 or 12 bucks I've spent in some time on racing literature.

pic6vic
06-18-2003, 12:20 PM
SQ 764

If you want wagering books try the books by Jerry Samovitz.
They deal with different strategies on how to structure tickets for exotics without playing one straight ticket. If you are interested I can give you more info.

Lefty
06-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Hurri, Tom's book cost me $20. Still worthwhile. GBC still has it listed.

sq764
06-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the responses..

Does anyone have a copy of this Walters book that they would like to sell? Or a link to where I could find it?

BillW
06-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Thanks for the responses..

Does anyone have a copy of this Walters book that they would like to sell? Or a link to where I could find it?

http://www.gamblersbook.com/

CapperLou
08-23-2004, 09:56 PM
This book written by Thomas Walters--Does anyone have a copy they woud like to sell or know where I can purchase one??

Thanks for any assistance!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

pic6vic
08-24-2004, 09:12 PM
CAPPER LOU

Jerry has writtem 4 books, all on wagering strategy. Includes all pick bets and tri and superfecta strategies. These books get into detail and are for the players who want to gamble. If you play these types of bets but only wager a few bucks the books are not for you. They all are bound as you have stated. I have been playing the races for 25 years with Jerry. If you are interested I will give you his home address and phone number or internet address. Just send me an e-mail to my personal e-mail.

pic6vic@onebox.com

GR1@HTR
08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I second Tom's book. It got me thinking of all the different ways you can construct tickets....A former High School Hall of Fame football coach who applied his play design to horse ticket design...Very creative.

CapperLou
08-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks for your post--I have sent you an email. I did order Tom Walters book from Gamblers Book in Vegas today--but I am a voracious reader so would like to what Jerry has to offer.

All the best,

CapperLou

ceejay
08-25-2004, 10:15 AM
I refer to Barry Meadow's Money Secrets at the Race Track often (so much that my copy is falling apart). Especially his multi-race exotic strategies.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0945322011/qid=1093443088/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-2389959-1636623?v=glance&s=books

I read Tom's book too, and he has some good ideas but there are some things that I disagree with. It seems to me that he advocates picking your bet style first then the numbers.

timtam
08-25-2004, 11:40 AM
pic6vic,

Does Jerry play the horses for a living? Does he mainly bet exotics or straight. I purchased Into the Profit Zone about 5-8 yrs ago and really couldn't stick with it long because once you got down you had to go after longer prices which put your bet lower as well as the win percentage. Just couln't get a happy medium of the entire concept of Out of the Red Into the Black with my way of wagering.

CapperLou
08-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, I received the book by Thomas Walters and must say that I am constructing exacta bets much better. I was hardly ever playing them at all and when I did--I would either wheel one on top or box two of them. Now I am doing what Walters advocates and have played a few and won some nice ones in the last few days.

On another note, I received early today Jerry Samovitz's 1st book called Out of the Red Into The Black--interesting book. I have always used the Kelly method with good results, but today I followed Jerry's method and at the end made 23+% more than I would have on straight level plays.

Today I made nine plays and won the 1st at 14.00 (1CRC), won the 2nd at 7.70 (1SAR), lost the next five in row, won the 8th play at 9.40 (5SAR) and won 9th play at 7.30 (6SAR).

The difference again between playing them all for same amount and playing using Jerry Samovitz's betting method was 23+% greater profit end of day. Interesting!!!!!

I seem to remember Gordon Pine writing about this on his website in the past and he had a few good things to say about it and I know Gordon is a Kelly method guy so that caught my attention at the time!!

Hope this helps those on this thread. Thanks pic6Vic for your assistance in reaching Jerry. Appreciate it.

All the best,

CapperLou

hurrikane
08-31-2004, 11:28 AM
not exactly ceejay but Tom doesn't believe you can always pic the winner and may time the tote board dictates the bet structure.

I also think Barry vehimataly opposes Toms saver stategy so if you are in the Barry court I can see how you might back off of Toms ideas.

socantra
09-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Has anyone nhere read Dave Scwartz', publications on money management, and if so, what are the reviews?

socantra...

CapperLou
09-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Just want to mention again that Tom Walter's book has helped me immensely with my exotic wagering--not that I do a lot of it, but I am playing exacts based on his strategies using my own picks and doing nicely.

Previously, to be candid--I really did not know how to properly construct exacta plays despite all my years of playing the ponies.

Jerry Samovitz's book on Out of the Red and Into the Black has had an impact on my winnings re my win wagers. As I mentioned in an earlier post--the one day I made 23+% more than I would have--the good news continues. The other day I had lost six plays in a row and then hit a bomb in the last at APX for 33.20--the sly old fox Mickey Goldfine put over a maiden called Atlantic Frost and I loved him. I followed the wagering procedure and at the end of the day I again made considerably more than if I was doing flat amount betting.

With all this hurricane anxiety here recently--it sure as heck helped to win a little more.

I think these books are good reading and worthwhile and I will also be getting in touch with Dave Schwartz's site to order his book on money management on which I have good reports.

The only way you can break even or win in any kind of gambling is proper money wagering and management (meant for newbies here).

All the best,

CapperLou

First_Place
09-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Jerry's books (and many more) available here:

http://itsdata.com/books.php

Happy reading!

FP

Red Knave
09-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by socantra
Has anyone nhere read Dave Scwartz', publications on money management, and if so, what are the reviews?

socantra...

Excellent and very clever. A different way to look at who you are betting against and how to take advantage of your opponent's mistakes.
Intended for win betting and for players who already have some success at wagering.

timtam
09-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Does Dave Schwartz offer any discounts to PACE Advantage
members?

Overlay
10-03-2004, 03:45 AM
On the subject of wagering, I would suggest Commonsense Betting by Dick Mitchell.

CapperLou
10-03-2004, 09:54 AM
IMO Dick Mitchell's book Commonsense Betting is not in the same league with the books mentioned earlier on this thread.

The only good idea he came up with IMO was to backup a win play with exacta instead of place bet. His book is outdated & too complex for average players. Years back I thought he was a smart cookie, but no longer.

Dick is really not even connected the way he used to be--he got divorced and his ex wife runs Cynthia Publishing and he has moved to AZ and is teaching again. Understand from others he has "lost interest" in the races---I don't buy that for a moment--I think he has lost interest because he cannot beat the races any longer. That is what several folks who knew him have mentioned to me out west. Of course, he has his defenders (Kitts on this board who used to work with him) but actions speak louder than words and again he "has vanished" from playing horses---he can NO LONGER WIN---that's just my opinion---no disrespect for anyone intended here!! Simulcasting is what ruined him & others.

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. It's called the prices getting beaten down to where you have to be lucky to break even. He & others are victims of that IMO. All of us--including myself are and it's much harder to be profitable!

cj
10-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by timtam
Does Dave Schwartz offer any discounts to PACE Advantage
members?

Why not just message him through the PA board and ask him?

Overlay
10-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Can't say I disagree about Dick Mitchell from a handicapping standpoint, but I have found his money management strategies useful for sizing and distributing wagers. His weakness as far as handicapping (IMO) was relying (as many others do) on "feel" or intuition to gauge a horse's or combination's chances in any particular race, rather than using hard quantitative or statistical data for that purpose. Being able to get a handle on accurate fair odds avoids the problem of prices being beaten down (again, IMO), since you can then confine your wagers to occasions where betting value is present, and can profitably use the kind of wagering strategies that Mitchell and others (such as Mike Pascual) advocate.

CapperLou
10-03-2004, 06:45 PM
A Good Post!!!!! Mitchell should have been with me today!!!

I had one of the best days of my wagering career today playing
BEL,CRC,DEL,HAW,TPX.

I made exactly 25 plays and had 15 winners!!! At DEL I had 6, BEL--4--CRC--2---HAW--3--and TPX--0--!!! There were 3 2nds.

Today I was playing shorter priced horses obviously--but they all STOOD OUT and the Absolute BEST BET of Day was the 4th at Belmont---#5 GEMILLI who I made 3/5 and paid 5.50.

Lady luck was with me at DEL as I got moved up in two races on disqualifications. Not bragging here--but just letting you know that Dick Mitchell is not the only guy who ever had great days(and he had plenty of them years ago with his crony--betting show parlays etc and exactas)!!!!

Hope many of you who play short priced horses did well also today!!! This again was not the norm--that's why I'm crowing about it---no disrespect intended--there are many other guys on this board who do VERY WELL!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

Going out for a filet---tonite it's on everybody who bet against me!!!!!!!!!!!

Lefty
10-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Capper, what was the ROI on the day. 15 wins impressive, so hope the ROI was commensurate.

CapperLou
10-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Today I played shorter priced horses--which I normally do not do--as you probably know!!

The highest winner paid 11.20 and the lowest was 3.80.

The ROI was 1.72

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. The above figure is for win bets only. I'm using Jerry Samovitz's wagering method with these plays so the actual profit in today's session was better than the above ROI.

Lefty
10-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Very nice. Congrats. I made 10 plays and only 2 wins but they paid $25 and 13.60. I just have no talent for playing the shorties, wished I did, but not consistent with them.

CapperLou
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, you had a good day too--that's all that matters!!! Don't ever forget that over 95% of those we played against today are losing!!!!

Congrats to you too Lefty!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

Lefty
10-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks, Capper. That's what I like about Horses; more than 1 way to get to the "cheese"