PDA

View Full Version : new computer help

HUSKER55
12-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I need to up grade and according to the girl next door my computer is past the after market.

How important are multi core processors. She told me that in real simple terms that multi core is better and faster than having a co-processor.

My chip set does not have an L3 cache which she says provides internal bus for programs which affects the way video and simulcast and etc work.

She is a student who tries real hard but she is talking to me. :D

Will someone help me here. Ram and chips set and the multi core and L3 affect how signal are displayed, according to her. I guess I have good band width whatever that means but my computer is not displaying it right because I am under powered.

my computer is 7 years old and I have amd athlon co processors.

Any advise would be appreciated.

happy holidays

:)

BillW
12-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Is there any thing wrong with your computer now? or anything that you're not happy with? Sure a new computer will be faster but if you don't need it, stay with what you got.

headhawg
12-25-2009, 01:41 PM
How important are multi core processors. She told me that in real simple terms that multi core is better and faster than having a co-processor.Co-processors are extra processors that do math calculations. Current CPUs have combined all of that so worries with today's CPUs. Multi-core is the way to go mainly because there is no reason now to get a single-core CPU. If you want to upgrade think dual-core or quad-core but most importantly it comes down to how much money you want to spend and how future-proof you want your computer to be.

My chip set does not have an L3 cache which she says provides internal bus for programs which affects the way video and simulcast and etc work.If that's actually what she said then she is wrong. L3 cache is nice but not necessary. The basics? L1, L2, and L3 cache speed up access to the data that the CPU needs.
Will someone help me here. Ram and chips set and the multi core and L3 affect how signal are displayed, according to her. I guess I have good band width whatever that means but my computer is not displaying it right because I am under powered.I'm assuming that you mean some kind of streaming video being played on your computer, for the horses or something else. THE most important thing is the download speed of your Internet connection (your bandwidth). That said, the amount/speed of RAM, the CPU, and video card will certainly influence the video quality, as will the speed of your hard disk as at least some of the video will get downloaded/cached to the hard drive.

Seven years is old for a computer, frankly. If you can afford it you probably should upgrade. And you don't need the latest and greatest 'puter, just something with a nice balance of components at a reasonable price.

HUSKER55
12-25-2009, 07:48 PM
THANKS EVERYONE, APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT.I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO PUT IT OFF BUT MY COMPUTER IS BOGGING DOWN AND EVEN SIMULCAST IS SHAKY.

7 YEARS IS TOO OLD FOR A COMPUTER.