PDA

View Full Version : Charles Town should run its cards in the mornings

takeout
12-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Dec. 23rd they have morning workouts.
Dec. 23rd’s evening card is cancelled after the 1st race. (“track conditions” was the excuse)
Dec. 24th they have morning workouts again.

This is not a new pattern. I’ve seen it before.

This begs at least 3 questions:
1. What is it that is happening between 11:00AM and 7:15PM that renders the track unusable?
2. What is it that is happening between the time they cancel and the next morning that miraculously makes the track usable again?
3. Why can’t they make #2 happen between 11:00AM and & 7:15PM?

Anybody know? Seriously.

Stillriledup
12-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Dec. 23rd they have morning workouts.
Dec. 23rd’s evening card is cancelled after the 1st race. (“track conditions” was the excuse)
Dec. 24th they have morning workouts again.

This is not a new pattern. I’ve seen it before.

This begs at least 3 questions:
1. What is it that is happening between 11:00AM and 7:15PM that renders the track unusable?
2. What is it that is happening between the time they cancel and the next morning that miraculously makes the track usable again?
3. Why can’t they make #2 happen between 11:00AM and & 7:15PM?

Anybody know? Seriously.

I think its different from working a horse at 75% speed by himself and racing at full speed in close quarters.

Maybe if the purses weren't so high, these jocks would be starving and they would actually have to ride. The fact that they are cancelling races means these jocks are overpaid. If you desperately needed the money to feed your babies, you would find a way to ride regardless of conditions. When you don't need the money, you can cancel and take a day off. Supply and demand.

therussmeister
12-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Have no idea about the weather in Charles town, but the track could be thawing during the day then freezing over night. Some thawing tracks get real nasty, especially if they have piled snow inside the inner rail which then melts and floods the track.

Sportsman's Park used to have occasional problems like that early in their meet. They would have to cancel racing in February, in Chicago, because it was too warm. :D

takeout
12-25-2009, 05:49 PM
It seemed extra odd this time because the pools were twice what they usually are but they canceled anyway. Given the standard “track conditions” catchall excuse, I just wondered if it was anything specific.

takeout
12-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Sportsman's Park used to have occasional problems like that early in their meet. They would have to cancel racing in February, in Chicago, because it was too warm. :DI've seen Charles Town cancel when it was 70 degrees. :)

Jackal
12-25-2009, 07:22 PM
The track at CT is treated with chloride. Temperatures have to be very cold to freeze the track. Trainers will train horses no matter how bad the track might be.

High winds and icy roads cause more cancellations than anything. Trust me, CT has 10 or more jockeys ready to ride in any weather, except a thunderstorm. No one in their right mind wants to go into a metal starting gate with lightning popping nearby.

The safety of the racing fans is a priority at CT.