PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion on a new printer?

only11
12-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Beginning the new year im starting to print my PPs any suggestion which printer would be best and save me on ink,any input would be appreciated>

illinoisbred
12-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Hp1000 worked great for me. Printing approx.7-8 condensed PPs a week, an ink cartridge lasted about 4 months in draft mode. Recently, I bought a new PC which came with vista. I couldn't use the 1000- no available driver. I purchased an HP1006-seems good and is fast but have yet to find where I can print in draft mode so my cartridges are not lasting as long-approx. 2 months.

only11
12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Hp1000 worked great for me. Printing approx.7-8 condensed PPs a week, an ink cartridge lasted about 4 months in draft mode. Recently, I bought a new PC which came with vista. I couldn't use the 1000- no available driver. I purchased an HP1006-seems good and is fast but have yet to find where I can print in draft mode so my cartridges are not lasting as long-approx. 2 months.
Im using a canonmx 310 my cartridge lasts a 2 weeks.

GaryG
12-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I have a Brother HL-2140 and love it to death. The toner saving mode works fine and the cartridges last for about 7-8000 sheets. Very inexpensive and efficient.

Dave Schwartz
12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Considering cost per page and speed, you need a laser, not an ink jet.

HP's are worth the extra money. We are currently using an HP-MP6 that we bought in 1996 when we gave my mother-in-law the PP2 from 1990. That one is still running as well.

Make sure it supports legal-size for printing PPS. That will also lower your cost because it will print less pages.

illinoisbred
12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, I forgot to make that clear,mine is a HP laserjet 1006.

JBmadera
12-24-2009, 03:19 PM
best cost savings tip I ever got - print in "draft mode"

jb

Robert Goren
12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I have owned 4 printers, 3 were Canons, 1 HP. The first was a Canon The second was the HP and is reason that the last 2 have been Canons. We had an idiot at work replace the wide assortment of brands with HPs over my objections because of some good deal he got. Two months later we junked everyone of them. They all jammed every time you used them. That was 7 years ago so maybe they have improved, but HP will not get any of my money ever.

CBedo
12-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a HP Laserjet 1320 that I absolutely love. It prints over 20 pages a minute and can even print on both sides if you need to. Also, it holds over 200 sheets so you don't have to do much. I use it heavily, and have for a few years, and have had zero issues with it ever. You can find refurbished 1320s for pretty cheap too. Printing in draft mode, the cost per page is miniscule.

I think the key with your printer if you want to keep costs down (laser or ink) is to have two sets of toner or ink cartridges. When one runs out, you have the backup to install while you order refills online which will be much cheaper than if you have to run to your local store because you have to have it now.

Pcon04
12-24-2009, 05:28 PM
thanks for the info may I ask what program do u use to print the pp's??
and how many pages??.I downloaded the pp's pdf from bris and it was 30
pages and with pdf I can't edit them or can you.Is their pp generator
the best way to go???

Thanks
pcon

wilderness
12-25-2009, 10:08 AM
The majority of downloaded Past Performances are PDF files (requiring the free Acrobat or a compatible software). Generally speaking, PDF files are not editable. There are some softwares that allow you to highlight portions of PDF's.

If your interested in editing files or integrating data files into a database, most of the major vendors offer files in another format (not printer friendly).

As to the number of pages in a PP file, it's dependent upon the number of race lines per horse (various file options when purchasing) as well as the number of horses per race. For portability, most folks generally desire a single page per race, which restrict racelines to 4-6 per horse.

Over many years I've had more than a dozen printers; serial in 1988 which I trashed almost immediately, various dot-matrix, and various inkjets, now two lasers. The least expensive as far as overall costs are laser printers.

The new lasers have budget models that are quite good. I purchased a Brother HL-2140 last year and the only really disappointment is that the minimum DPI is 300 (most Inkjet printers offered a 150DPI setting that is sufficient for most documents), which seems like a waste of toner/ink to me.

Most older laser printers (despite their weight) are/were work horses. You may purchase some used named brand printers that have been heavily used and still get a good life expectancy. ( I used an old HP II for around six years, which with a few minor repairs and the benefit of buying toners very cheap on eBay was very cheap to operate; there were restrictions in capabilities, however this model is more than 20-years-old.) (Parts for many old laser printers are available with a littler www-poking.)

Refilling your own toners is quite easy, however may be messy the first few times.
Paper costs are ever rising, however one needs to shop and buy cases when good prices exist.

HUSKER55
12-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I have a hp laser printer with a flat screen and an top auto feed and I love it.

I just consider the cost of printing the cost of business.

One point I think you should not over look is to make sure you can use a wireless set up. I found out that not all printers are equal.

Grandkids live next door so I pay for printing to help them out and we use wireless and hp wireless has been flawless for us.

I am sure there are other brands that are probably just as reliiable but for picturues, wireless, functions for me, grandkids, family members it has been a work horse. It just sits on a desk in the family room and works away.

I have this theory that I can only spend my money once so I get the most bang for my buck so price is not a big variable for me as long as the features and the equipment holds up and performs.

JMHO

good luck:)

Spendabuck85
12-25-2009, 12:52 PM

I also have the HP1006. Go to Start/Settings/Printers and Faxes then right click on HP1006 icon for Properties. On the General Tab click on Printing Preferences then select EconoMode.

illinoisbred
12-25-2009, 01:08 PM
I also have the HP1006. Go to Start/Settings/Printers and Faxes then right click on HP1006 icon for Properties. On the General Tab click on Printing Preferences then select EconoMode.
Thank you for that information. You just told me something that no one at Best Buy or Office Depot could. This will be a money saver thanks and Merry Christmas Spendabuck85.