PDA

View Full Version : In Praise Of The Democratic Party

NJ Stinks
12-24-2009, 03:46 AM
By the time I get up tomorrow morning, the Senate will have passed a health reform bill. While it is far from perfect, it is a big step in the quest for healthcare reform in the USA. I applaud the guts shown by Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi in steadfastly trying to fix a problem Republicans haven't touched and wouldn't touch in the next 100 years.

As for the Republican party - thanks for nothing. As usual. No doubt in another 40 years you will be fighting hard to make sure Reid's and Pelosi's work here is not tampered with just as you are doing today with Medicare benefits.

I hear a lot of people say there is no difference between the Democrats and Republicans. They both suck according to lots of people. Here's the difference as I see it:

The Republicans controlled both houses and the White House when GWB was elected. Republicans stated publicly that they can't let this window of opportunity pass. So they passed income tax cuts and capital gains tax cuts that supposedly benefitted everybody even though most people wouldn't know a capital gain if it hit them over the head. Democrats voted against both measures.

Eight years later the Democrats get the same setup - controlling both houses in Congress and the White House. Democrats state publicly that they can't let this window of opportunity pass. The Democrats want to make healthcare more accessable and affordable for everyone. Republicans, in turn, have fought against any meaningful reform at every turn.

No matter where you stand on income tax cuts, capital gains tax cuts, or healthcare reform - the different priorities of both parties is clear as a bell.

PaceAdvantage
12-24-2009, 05:15 AM
No matter where you stand on income tax cuts, capital gains tax cuts, or healthcare reform - the different priorities of both parties is clear as a bell.You are exactly right. One gave you more freedoms to do with what is yours as you see fit...while another wants more control over your every waking moment.

I'll let you decide which one is which.

Tampa Russ
12-24-2009, 06:48 AM
In the end, the only thing I was certain about was that our government would never address the root causes of why things are the way they are with our current system, and as such just make things worse.

If we could ever just wake up to the fact that the majority of what our government attempts to do "for us" is less than worthless, maybe we'd have a chance. Not gonna happen in my lifetime. I gave up when term limits got squashed years ago.

Oh, and as for healthcare reform, all we need to do is look at Singapore, model that, things would be fine. The solutions are out there, and they are most often the least complicated. Instead, the fog machines of congress just keep on billowing.

Tampa Russ
12-24-2009, 06:50 AM
* does not apply to residents of Nebraska

lsbets
12-24-2009, 07:57 AM
The Democrats want to make healthcare more accessable and affordable for everyone.

If you honestly believe that, I nominate you for dumbest man on the planet.

johnhannibalsmith
12-24-2009, 10:37 AM
You must be delusional... predictably, when this bill falls on its face... it will all be the fault of Republicans...

If you are proud of it now, I expect you to be proud of it in five years and proclaim with honor that the Democrats were kind enough to bestow this gift upon the people.

acorn54
12-24-2009, 10:41 AM
No matter where you stand on income tax cuts, capital gains tax cuts, or healthcare reform - the different priorities of both parties is clear as a bell.[/QUOTE]

yes their is a difference. and neither party represents the regular guy.

ArlJim78
12-24-2009, 10:52 AM
as usual the democratic solution is worse than the original problem by far. we'd be far better off doing nothing.

unsustainable higher costs, rationed care, giant new government management of every aspect of our private lives, and first and foremost a huge tax increase.

congrats dems! where would we be without you except free.

without question the most damaging and disgraceful legislative effort in history.

don't get your hopes up though, I predict that a political tsunami will ensue following the passage of the final bill. what they are about to create is so offensive and harmful and counterproductive that major changes will be made after these fascists are swept out of office next year.

gales0678
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
jim where the heck were my ny senators when all the goodies were handed out to neb , la , and hawaii ?

ny state is broke and these 2 stood on the sideline and didn't get anything for the empire state

what i don't get is she is probably a goner (krisitn) why didn't she get us new yawkers something?

cj's dad
12-24-2009, 10:59 AM
And Dirty Harry snuck in a provision that not ONE WORD of this 2000+ pages of a bill can be repealed or altered in any way.

ArlJim78
12-24-2009, 11:04 AM
and while i'm on a rant, one of the things that really gets me ticked off about this bill is that FEDERAL EMPLOYEES ARE EXEMPT!

yes they got taken care of, they will not be affected one iota by this, they are completed protected, their funding, their benefits etc. no changes. of course as we already know their compensation is way out of line compared to the private sector as well.

i'll say it again, the political class (all government + unions) in this country is like a giant parasite feasting on and slowly killing the private sector, after having already mortgaged our future multiple times.

fast4522
12-24-2009, 11:06 AM
When all is said and done and everyone has to pay more for less, will we as a people have the stones to repeal Dirty Harry, Ugly Nancy and so many more of their friends in the next election?

ArlJim78
12-24-2009, 11:08 AM
And Dirty Harry snuck in a provision that not ONE WORD of this 2000+ pages of a bill can be repealed or altered in any way.
yeah i saw that, but from what I'm reading it applied only to one specific section and in any case, it's not going to fly.

dartman51
12-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I just have 1 question for you NJ, and any others that think this bill should have been passed. IF IT IS SO GREAT, WHY DID 13 DEMOCRAT SENATORS, ASK THAT THEIR STATES BE EXEMPT, OR SPECIAL PROVISIONS PUT IN, SO THEY WON'T GET HIT SO HARD?? Just curious. :confused:

exactaplayer
12-24-2009, 11:53 AM
No matter where you stand on income tax cuts, capital gains tax cuts, or healthcare reform - the different priorities of both parties is clear as a bell.

yes their is a difference. and neither party represents the regular guy.[/QUOTE]
Well Put Sir :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
12-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I just have 1 question for you NJ, and any others that think this bill should have been passed. IF IT IS SO GREAT, WHY DID 13 DEMOCRAT SENATORS, ASK THAT THEIR STATES BE EXEMPT, OR SPECIAL PROVISIONS PUT IN, SO THEY WON'T GET HIT SO HARD?? Just curious. :confused: Off hand I would say greed.

HUSKER55
12-24-2009, 12:22 PM
time to get geared up for 2010. All of you stop complaining and start putting ads out in papers, get web pages up and get out the vote in 2010 to get rid of democrats once and for all.

MSM needs to take a real hard hit and no one, by themselves are ging to do anything.

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all

NJ Stinks
12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
as usual the democratic solution is worse than the original problem by far. we'd be far better off doing nothing.

unsustainable higher costs, rationed care, giant new government management of every aspect of our private lives, and first and foremost a huge tax increase.

congrats dems! where would we be without you except free.

without question the most damaging and disgraceful legislative effort in history.

don't get your hopes up though, I predict that a political tsunami will ensue following the passage of the final bill. what they are about to create is so offensive and harmful and counterproductive that major changes will be made after these fascists are swept out of office next year.

This post reminds me of the things Reagan and other conservatives said about Medicare back in the '60's.

boxcar
12-24-2009, 01:02 PM
This post reminds me of the things Reagan and other conservatives said about Medicare back in the '60's.

Have you started work on that Government Bill of Rights, yet? Are there any areas of our personal lives in which we should retain complete control?

Boxcar
P.S. Bodily functions don't count as an answer.

NJ Stinks
12-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I just have 1 question for you NJ, and any others that think this bill should have been passed. IF IT IS SO GREAT, WHY DID 13 DEMOCRAT SENATORS, ASK THAT THEIR STATES BE EXEMPT, OR SPECIAL PROVISIONS PUT IN, SO THEY WON'T GET HIT SO HARD?? Just curious. :confused:

I agree with Robert's response. Although I believe the provision Bernie Sanders insisted on is a tremendous thing.

Nowhere did I say this Senate bill was great. Until we see what's in the final version after the House bill and Senate bill are merged, I'm going to reserve judgment.

johnhannibalsmith
12-24-2009, 01:13 PM
..Until we see what's in the final version ...

That should be about ninety-two seconds before your premium triples and five hourse and eleven minutes after the President's pen makes an extremely poor decision.

ArlJim78
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
it should, those values don't go out of style. medicare, like all government programs is broke and filled fraud. its an example of a failed program. government always promises more than it can deliver.

what you don't get is that there are millions of people, corporations, and even foreign countries who line up for dollars from the US gov. using every fraud and scam known to mankind or they may be just lazy deadbeats that just want a handout. all they have to say is that they're working on behalf of the disadvantaged or have been denied something by someone, or just want some favorable tax break or legislation bought directly from a congressperson. so the money that the gov takes from us or borrows on our behalf gets redistributed in a corrupt and wasteful manner. the only reason they have so much money to throw around is because of the American system of free market capitalism which made us the envy of the world and an unmatched economic powerhouse. fat headed idiots like Harry Reid have driven maybe the final nail in the coffin of this great system we had by ramming this kind of crap through.

the US is broke, the party is over. we have to quickly start downsizing in order to live within our means, there is no way we can fulfill the current obligations, much less make enormous new promises. we are going to face a dire debt calamity in the not so distant future unless we REDUCE government spending in real terms. my money is that the calamity happens first.

we wouldn't be in this mess is the federal government would have stayed out of social engineering and simply laid down the groundrules and then stayed out of the way.

it's instructive to note that those making these laws have never created anything of value on their own, and wouldn't last a day in the private sector or anyplace where you're held accountable for the results of your actions.

NJ Stinks
12-24-2009, 02:13 PM
it should, those values don't go out of style. medicare, like all government programs is broke and filled fraud. its an example of a failed program. government always promises more than it can deliver.

What do you think happened to senior citizens who couldn't afford the medical care necessary before Medicare was passed?

Today Republicans and seniors are protesting any changes to Medicare. Compare their actions today and your quote above. Either they are wrong or you are wrong.

boxcar
12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree with Robert's response. Although I believe the provision Bernie Sanders insisted on is a tremendous thing.

Nowhere did I say this Senate bill was great. Until we see what's in the final version after the House bill and Senate bill are merged, I'm going to reserve judgment.

Typical lib talking out of both sides of your mouth all at once and simultaneously. :rolleyes: You start a thread praising the Dem Party for something that you can't categorize as "great", yet, because you're going to reserve judgment on the final bill due to all the many unknowns at this time.
:bang: :bang:

I'd be willing to bet my last dollar that BO won this last election with the support of lots of irrational, illogical, visceral types just like you.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
12-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I'd be willing to bet my last dollar that BO won this last election with the support of lots of irrational, illogical, visceral types just like you.

Boxcar

Why thank you, Boxcar!

And before I forget, Merry Christmas to you and yours! :ThmbUp:

boxcar
12-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Why thank you, Boxcar!

And before I forget, Merry Christmas to you and yours! :ThmbUp:

Don't mention it. I'm always happy to share the truth (even when it hurts). :D

And Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, as well.

Boxcar

exactaplayer
12-24-2009, 03:28 PM
That should be about ninety-two seconds before your premium triples and five hourse and eleven minutes after the President's pen makes an extremely poor decision.
Not sure about you but, my premium already went up 24 percent this year. My prescription coverage went up about 15 percent and the copays jumped 200 or 300 percent. These medical industries have already factored in the bill.

bigmack
12-24-2009, 03:56 PM
By the time I get up tomorrow morning, the Senate will have passed a health reform bill. While it is far from perfect, it is a big step in the quest for healthcare reform in the USA. I applaud the guts shown by Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi in steadfastly trying to fix a problem Republicans haven't touched and wouldn't touch in the next 100 years.
0g3RjpEt5To

mostpost
12-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Medicare and Social Security face difficulties for two reasons. One is that theiir funds are constantly being raided for other things. The Other is the Baby Boomer bubble. Solutions? Stop raiding and remove the cap on contributions. Everyone should pay Social Security and Medicare tax on all the money they earn.
Medicare is not a failed program. It provides exactly the service and payment it was intended to. To say that Medicare is filled with fraud is to blame the cattle for being rustled. If we need to fix the system and go after doctors and patients who are scamming, we should do so. Let's not burn down the ranch because a few cattle are missing.

mostpost
12-24-2009, 04:02 PM
what you don't get is that there are millions of people, corporations, and even foreign countries who line up for dollars from the US gov. using every fraud and scam known to mankind or they may be just lazy deadbeats that just want a handout. all they have to say is that they're working on behalf of the disadvantaged or have been denied something by someone, or just want some favorable tax break or legislation bought directly from a congressperson. so the money that the gov takes from us or borrows on our behalf gets redistributed in a corrupt and wasteful manner. the only reason they have so much money to throw around is because of the American system of free market capitalism which made us the envy of the world and an unmatched economic powerhouse. fat headed idiots like Harry Reid have driven maybe the final nail in the coffin of this great system we had by ramming this kind of crap through.
In your mind, everyone but you is dishonest, lazy and/or a deadbeat. This is not true. 99% of the people just want a chance to provide honestly for themselves and their family.
It is less corrupt and wasteful to provide for a family in need then it is to provide for a corporate fat cat, which we do now.

mostpost
12-24-2009, 04:09 PM
the US is broke, the party is over. we have to quickly start downsizing in order to live within our means, there is no way we can fulfill the current obligations, much less make enormous new promises. we are going to face a dire debt calamity in the not so distant future unless we REDUCE government spending in real terms. my money is that the calamity happens first.
The US is broke. How did we get there. We deregulated many industries so they were no longer answerable to anyone. We attacked unions so they could no longer protect their workers. We gave tax breaks to companies so they could move their operations overseas, thus eliminating jobs. We started two wars without raising taxes to pay for those wars. We cut taxes without cutting programs. We lived in denial at the start of the second worst recession in our history.

Tom
12-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Here are a few facts.
This time next year, FEWER people will have HC than today.

Those that do will be paying more - unless you area union flunky or in one the bribed states.

They will collect taxes for four years and when it comes time to implement benefits, NONE of the money will be anywhere to be found.

My biggest wish is that those who are applauding this bill are hurt very bad by it, Very bad. So I can gloat over your misery, which will be well deserved.

Merry Christmas.

mostpost
12-24-2009, 04:19 PM
we wouldn't be in this mess is the federal government would have stayed out of social engineering and simply laid down the groundrules and then stayed out of the way.
In a complex society, social engineering is a necessity. If we lived in the 18th or 19th century, it would be possible for Jethro and Hiram to work out a deal for 10 bushels of corn. In today's society, between me and my corn and the farmer there are many people.
For you to say the government should "Simply (have) laid down the groundrules and then stayed out of the way" shows a naivete that is unmatched. Is there something about "ground rules" that makes there compliance automatic?

Have a Merry Christmas and I hope someone "gifts" you with a shift key for your computer. :D

skate
12-24-2009, 04:19 PM
As for the Republican party - thanks for nothing.

Just remember, "the Republican Party did nothing". I think you'll forget this fact.

Unbelievable, :lol: , oh God, what the heck is in the mind of someone saying "no mater where you stand on income taxes".???

And and and, you follow with "clear as a bell". I assume you are talking about a bill, now hitting 2700 PAGES, and not one Soul will Quote they know the bills full meaning.:bang: .

Tom
12-24-2009, 04:21 PM
In a complex society, social engineering is a necessity

Who said that Hitler?

JustRalph
12-24-2009, 07:35 PM
time to break up the country

Pell Mell
12-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Medicare and Social Security face difficulties for two reasons. One is that theiir funds are constantly being raided for other things. The Other is the Baby Boomer bubble. Solutions? Stop raiding and remove the cap on contributions. Everyone should pay Social Security and Medicare tax on all the money they earn.

BINGO! Give the man a cigar!

OntheRail
12-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Who said that Hitler?

Could of been mao or lenin... maybe.

fast4522
12-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Liberalism is not worth defending, so let those who decide it is also face the unemployment lines.

PaceAdvantage
12-24-2009, 09:09 PM
You are exactly right. One gave you more freedoms to do with what is yours as you see fit...while another wants more control over your every waking moment.

I'll let you decide which one is which.I thought for sure this reply of mine would bring ddog out of hiding...damn! :lol:

mostpost
12-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Quote:

Who said that Hitler?
Could of been mao or lenin... maybe.
You're both wrong. It was me; in Post #33. Try to pay attention, and try to retain information better.

mostpost
12-24-2009, 09:51 PM
My biggest wish is that those who are applauding this bill are hurt very bad by it, Very bad. So I can gloat over your misery, which will be well deserved.

Merry Christmas.
You do realize you're missing the spirit of the season here, Right??

NJ Stinks
12-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Unbelievable, :lol: , oh God, what the heck is in the mind of someone saying "no mater where you stand on income taxes".???

Some people actually believe in progressive income tax rates. Cutting the higher progressive rates has cost this country mightily. (Deficits started to balloon with Reagan. You can actually look it up.)

Still, it is Christmas Eve. So Merry Christmas, Skate. I'm glad I was able to amuse you. :ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
12-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Some people actually believe in progressive income tax rates. Cutting the higher progressive rates has cost this country mightily. (Deficits started to balloon with Reagan. You can actually look it up.)

Still, it is Christmas Eve. So Merry Christmas, Skate. I'm glad I was able to amuse you. :ThmbUp:

Federal revenue nearly doubled under Reagan (measuring from his first budget to his last). The deficits you referenced resulted from the following factors: 1) defense build-up (worth it, imo), 2) economic projections did not correctly capture the disinflationary trends of the 80s, resulting much higher-than-needed COLA payments for programs such of Social Security, 3) unrestrained spending in other discretionary areas. If you want to fault Reagan for anything, blame him for not keeping spending in check.

boxcar
12-24-2009, 11:19 PM
In a complex society, social engineering is a necessity.

This is the saddest commentary I've read on this forum ever, and I've been around here for years. This kind of thinking is the end result of secular humanism, which was really the logical outgrowth evolutionary thought. Is it any wonder that liberalism embraces the culture of death? Is it any wonder that the value of human beings is usually thought of in the cold and heartless terms of dollars and cents? Nor should we be surprised by this latest revelation -- that human beings are little more than lab rats with which to conduct "social" experiments. Our only purpose in life, apparently, is to passively submit ourselves to those smart "scientists" for all their controlled experiments -- experiments that will make us run through this maze and that maze, and to perform tricks for our wise masters so that, perhaps, we'll be rewarded crumbs from out of their benevolent hands for our slavish obedience.

But thanks be to God in heaven who has told us in his word that he thinks much more highly of human beings than the Mostposts of this dark and forlorn world. For it is written that we were created in God's image -- not in the image of primordial soup, or some monkey, or fish or bird or lab rat. And God thinks so highly of his people that he gave the ultimate gift to mankind and made the ultimate expression of love by sending his only begotten Son in the world to die for his people's sins, so that all who believe on him shall have everlasting life. ("For God so loved the world....", it also written.)

I will leave all on this forum with this thought to ponder during this holiday season: Whose love would you cherish more: God's or the Mostposts' of this world? Which kind of love offers the most solace, peace and comfort? Which love is conditional and which isn't?

I wish everyone a safe, joyous and love-filled Christmas.

Boxcar

Tom
12-25-2009, 12:49 AM
I wish that, too, Boxcar, but only to the conservatives here. The rest will only legislate my good will from me anyway. But make them work for it.

BlueShoe
12-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Lets see now, in just about every study and survey done recently, the states that were in the most severe fiscal crisis, the states in which its citizens had the least freedom, and the states whose citizens were least happy, were those that had a large Democratic majority and that were considered to be "progressive". Some progress, the Democrats response to problems has been to impose more government controls and still more socialism. So thanks very much Democrats, but no thanks, most of us do not care to see our republic become a clone of the old Soviet Union, which is what your party is trying very hard to achieve.

ElKabong
12-25-2009, 01:32 AM
In a complex society, social engineering is a necessity.

In a free enterprise society, social engineering can take a hike. If that means deporatation, I got your "necessity" right here. ;)

No need for social engineering. If you're down on your luck, friends and family are there for you. Not the guy living 3 state lines away, or even 3 miles away.

hcap
12-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Which love is conditional and which isn't?

For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone will not work, neither let him eat. -- 2Thes.3:10 Pretty conditional, no? Maybe God is a republican? :(

I would think helping the poor and needy is NON-conditional. Whereas understanding the bible and OTHER scripture takes work and real practice. And a good deal of self understanding and the ability to suspend ones ego from being judgmental of others apparent failings. Ego is brought to a new level of sanctimony by cherry picked biblical passages. Feeling superior is so so easy and comfortable. Wallowing in inflated holier-than-thou-and BETTER-THAN-THOU self delusion is not what Christ had in mind.

You keep mixing up manna with ordinary corn.....
Working for manna is different than working for Big Macks.

Psalm 78:24-25 (King James Version)

24 And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them of the corn of heaven.

Box, having said all that, let me wish you a merry Christmas. ;)

Boris
12-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Will not work

Can not work

I believe they speak to different groups. Clearly one type needs help. And that is a Republican idea. Treating the two equally has many problems.

Merry Christmas to all!

boxcar
12-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Will not work

Can not work

I believe they speak to different groups. Clearly one type needs help. And that is a Republican idea. Treating the two equally has many problems.

Merry Christmas to all!

'Cap, has a really tough time understanding the difference. This is a reason he takes so much comfort in the cold, calculating, callous brand of love the state offers.

Boxcar

boxcar
12-25-2009, 11:16 AM
[/SIZE]Box, having said all that, let me wish you a merry Christmas. ;)

And you as well, 'cap.

Boxcar

boxcar
12-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I wish that, too, Boxcar, but only to the conservatives here. The rest will only legislate my good will from me anyway. But make them work for it.

While there is still the breath of life within any of us, there is still hope for salvation -- even among the most stout-hearted, die-hard, brain-washed liberals; for all things are possible with God.

Boxcar

boxcar
12-25-2009, 11:54 AM
[/SIZE]Pretty conditional, no? Maybe God is a republican? :(

I would think helping the poor and needy is NON-conditional. Whereas understanding the bible and OTHER scripture takes work and real practice. And a good deal of self understanding and the ability to suspend ones ego from being judgmental of others apparent failings. Ego is brought to a new level of sanctimony by cherry picked biblical passages. Feeling superior is so so easy and comfortable. Wallowing in inflated holier-than-thou-and BETTER-THAN-THOU self delusion is not what Christ had in mind.

You keep mixing up manna with ordinary corn.....
Working for manna is different than working for Big Macks.

Psalm 78:24-25 (King James Version)

24 And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them of the corn of heaven.

Box, having said all that, let me wish you a merry Christmas. ;)

Wow, "Big Macks", "corn", "manna"...you're on a huge roll today with this food thing. Since you appear to be so concerned with everyone's welfare -- since food is a necessary commodity to sustain life, did you know this:

Matt 4:1-4
4:1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. 3 And the tempter came and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread." 4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live on bread alone , but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.'"?
NASB

Answer me this, 'cap: What good is it if a man has all the food in the world with which to gorge his mortal body, but foolishly neglects his immortal soul by starving it to death?

Boxcar

hcap
12-25-2009, 01:18 PM
My point about your tag line....

For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone will not work, neither let him eat. -- 2Thes.3:10

....is that food in this context is about food for the spirit, not the body.
You confuse food and wine in many passages with ordinary food and wine, and smugly make a political football out of passages that refer to non-political concepts. Mocking compassion and humility as some sort of weakness. Humanity may not understand the intricacies of the bible or God as you may claim to, but simple humanism and love require no degree from divinity school and is available to all and quite beautiful. And may I add that today stirs those feelings no matter your religion or background.

In the passage you brought up, Jesus had been fasting 40 days and nights. He resisted false food dared to him by the "devil". In this instance fasting was a better food. The choice was between different levels of importance.

boxcar
12-25-2009, 02:55 PM
xxMy point about your tag line....

For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone will not work, neither let him eat. -- 2Thes.3:10

....is that food in this context is about food for the spirit, not the body.

You're slipping, Spinmeister. I expected a better spin than that. But no cigar for you because you're not even close. And why would the apostle associate the work ethic with "spiritual food"? In the real world, most people do work for the food that sustains the body! :bang: :bang:
Even the larger context of this passage, which you conveniently ignored, bears this out, for it reads:

2 Thess 3:9-12
10 For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone will not work, neither let him eat. 11 For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to work in quiet fashion and eat their own bread.
NASB

Furthermore, why would the apostle command that sluggards be deprived of the word of God (i.e. spiritual food, according to Jesus in the Matthew 4 passage)? It would seem to me that if anyone needed spiritual food, it would be those living in sin! :bang: :bang: Did not this very apostle teach essentially the same thing as Jesus when he wrote:

2 Tim 3:16
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
NASB

It makes zero sense that Paul would have ordered the church in Thessalonica to withhold what sinners need the most, i.e. spiritual food! Food that teaches and corrects and trains for righteous living!

Finally, the bible teaches throughout a very strong work ethic. Working is not merely an option. Work is not merely a suggestion. Work is a moral duty to God and to Man. People who refuse to work are living in sin. People whose only ambition in life is to leech off the fruit of others' labors are wicked human beings.

Gen 3:19
19 By the sweat of your face
You shall eat bread,
NASB

Prov 20:4
4 The sluggard does not plow after the autumn,
So he begs during the harvest and has nothing.
NASB

Prov 21:25
25 The desire of the sluggard puts him to death,
For his hands refuse to work;
NASB

1 Thess 4:11-12
11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you; 12 so that you may behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.
NASB

Prov 13:25
25 The righteous has enough to satisfy his appetite,
But the stomach of the wicked is in want.
NASB

Prov 14:23
23 In all labor there is profit,
But mere talk leads only to poverty.
NASB

Prov 19:15
5 Laziness casts into a deep sleep,
And an idle man will suffer hunger.
NASB

Prov 20:13
13 Do not love sleep, lest you become poor;
Open your eyes, and you will be satisfied with food.
NASB

You confuse food and wine in many passages with ordinary food and wine, and smugly make a political football out of passages that refer to non-political concepts. Mocking compassion and humility as some sort of weakness.

It is you who are very confused, not I. Nor do I mock compassion. But expressions of love, compassion and charity are to be grounded in biblical principles, not in some touchy-feely, leg-tingling, visceral, undisciplined fashion.

Humanity may not understand the intricacies of the bible or God as you may claim to, but simple humanism and love require no degree from divinity school and is available to all and quite beautiful.

Only if grounded in biblical principles and done for the glory of God.

In the passage you brought up, Jesus had been fasting 40 days and nights. He resisted false food dared to him by the "devil". In this instance fasting was a better food. The choice was between different levels of importance.

Again, you're in error. Jesus' food in the wilderness was not merely fasting, but prayer and reliance upon his Father's word. In all three temptations, Jesus was able to resist Satan by appealing to the Word of God, i.e. OT scriptures at that time. And that is exactly what he is teaching us during the last temptation. Jesus is teaching that there is much more to life than mere food for the body -- that's one's top priority should be to feast on God's word as sustenance for his immoral soul. For what does it profit a man if he can satisfy his fleshly appetites with food, but suffer the loss of his immortal soul through deprivation of the real food that satisfies -- God's Word?

Boxcar

Tom
12-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Speaking of democrats, heard a good one.

Nancy Pelosi's face looks like she is re-entering the earth's atmosphere.

ArlJim78
12-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm afraid that some of the tiles on her heat shield have been damaged as well.

illinoisbred
12-28-2009, 10:35 AM
She looks like a ventriloquist's doll in that picture.

Valuist
12-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Pelosi looks like she's missing a solar panel or two.

Tom
12-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm afraid that some of the tiles on her heat shield have been damaged as well.

I see it! I see it! :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
12-28-2009, 10:49 AM
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/cesar-romero-as-the-joker.jpg

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Speaking of democrats, heard a good one.

Nancy Pelosi's face looks like she is re-entering the earth's atmosphere.This can't be an actual photo, correct? I've seen this photo around forever, and always assumed it was photoshopped at least a little bit...:lol:

boxcar
12-28-2009, 09:56 PM
This can't be an actual photo, correct? I've seen this photo around forever, and always assumed it was photoshopped at least a little bit...:lol:

Why would you make such an assumption? :D

Boxcar

skate
12-29-2009, 03:36 PM

And what you ignore is the very fact that THE Country Grew much more than the DEFICIT.

A guy makes $10,000 per year can afford ONLY so much Deficit.

A guy makes $10,000,000 can afford much more. That's what happened.