View Full Version : JOEYP

joeyp
12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Aqueduct | Posted 12/22/2009, 5:04 pmPrint
Owner struck it rich with Joey P.
By David Grening
Joey P.
Bill Denver/Equi-Photos
A victory in Saturday's Gravesend would put Joey P.'s career earnings over $1 million.

OZONE PARK, N.Y. - If Joey P. can regain his best form and win Saturday's $65,000 Gravesend Handicap at Aqueduct, he will become a millionaire. To call his beginnings humble would be an understatement.

Joey P. is a New Jersey-bred son of Close Up out of the mare Luckey Lipco. He is owned by his breeder, John Petrini, who was basically given the mare for free and received a free breeding right to the stallion Close Up in a somewhat unorthodox manner.

According to trainer Ben Perkins Jr., Petrini owns a carpet business. He put in carpet in a restaurant owned by Carlo Dethomasi, who claimed Close Up from Anstu Stables and trainer Todd Pletcher on Oct. 25, 2000, at the Meadowlands for $22,500. Close Up, a son of Capote, never made it back to the races.

~~read the rest at the following link~~

http://www.drf.com/news/article/109688.html

Stevie Belmont
12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I remember when they ran him in the Haskell as a 3-year-old. Did not think that was the wisest thing in the world, but Frank took a shot. Would like to see him get that first win in New York.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/SooperMan/DSCF5233.jpg

onefast99
12-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I beat him in 2007 with Maddy's Lion, he didnt' see us coming...great race very consistent horse but I strongly believe his days as a champion are done.

Stevie Belmont
12-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I will tell you this—he was in top form before the Charlestown Dash and was ready to win that race after a blockbuster effort in the race before that at Monmouth Park.

The surgery knocked him out of action.

His last was his first since the operation...so toss it

As long as he is healthy, legs in order, don't see why he would not bounce back over a track he has run a good race on before.

Let's see what happens Saturday.

onefast99
12-23-2009, 04:08 PM
He may have one left in the tank but coming off the surgery and needing to run one of his best races of his life to win this race don't add up to a win for him. Lakes horse Pashito is a monster should be right there at the end.

Stevie Belmont
12-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Yea Pachito the Che looks sharp shipping in for Lake.

Last work was smokin...

The Hawk
12-23-2009, 07:22 PM
The other problem is that he DOES NOT like to ship. Perkins has had a lot of problems with him out of NJ, and even once swore he'd never put him on a van again.

Brogan
12-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't know if the problem is shipping, per se. Joey P has such a steallar record in NJ, and a so-so record elsewhere. I think the comment about putting him on a van was meant the reflect how well he does at his home base.

The Hawk
12-24-2009, 02:29 PM
No, it wasn't. It was about shipping. I think he shipped to Calder, though I can't say for sure where he went, and there was some kind of incident, and it wasn't the first time.

Bluto Blutarsky
12-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Joey came in last. Lost by over 7 lengths to the winner.

Stevie Belmont
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Joey P. does it! Bounces back to bag first win ever in New York. Wins Race 3 at Aqueduct—not finished yet

Good for him!

castaway01
02-24-2010, 03:36 PM
But PETA wants him retired!

Moyers Pond
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe he can take Sam P. along with him. That horse is probably the most mismanaged horse in racing history.