PDA

View Full Version : Bo...R.I.P

joanied
12-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Bo at age 31 2009.jpg
It is a sad day for us...and I just needed to give old Bo his due. He was 32 years old and he was born here on the farm. He lived a wonderful life...had the best of everything. He carried my husband 100's of miles throughout the years, up on the mountains Elk hunting...and packed out many Elk. Bo was a character, and was always the 'boss'. He was a Morgan, and a gorgeous animal in his younger days.
Old age caught up with him, and he went down hill very fast over the past week or so...and it was time for him to find everlasting peace over the Rainbow Bridge....I think he is now chasing my mare Toy Moon around, because she was his favorite. We buried Bo right next to Toy Moon.
He'll be missed...my other horses have been calling all day, and that makes us even sadder. We loved the old boy, and I am hurting.

Bo-regard RIP:(

andymays
12-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Sorry for your loss joanied.

Show Me the Wire
12-22-2009, 05:39 PM
My condolences on your loss.

illinoisbred
12-22-2009, 05:42 PM
So sorry to read about your loss. After reading many of your posts and sensing your love for all animals,I'm sure he had a life most horses can only dream of.

098poi
12-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry for your loss. Bo was forunate to have you in his life.

Ian Meyers
12-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Very sorry for your loss. :( He sounded like quite a charmer. God bless those that care for the beasts and the children.

Rialto
12-22-2009, 06:16 PM
:(

DeanT
12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
What a good person you are Joanie.

And what a pretty guy he was. I am sorry for the loss and I hope tomorrow is better than today.

Trotman
12-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Joanied,so sorry for your loss. Judging by your posts the old boy was loved and you too in time will be at peace with his passing. My dad was my best friend and his passing years ago rocked my world but from his passing I remember one thing he always said each and every sunny day "look at this day it is going to be a great one". Every sunny day he's with me. Try and find a moment from Bo's life that will make you feel great each and every day.

CryingForTheHorses
12-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Aww Joanie Im so sad for you,It hurts like hell,I know this as Its happened to me several times,Going to be hard looking out and not seeing him.Your love for him will forever be cherished..Sorry for your loss,Think of the memories..That will make you smile..

joanied
12-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh, thank you guys...so much. I appreciate your kind words more than you can know.

I just came in from feeding the horses...and putting away Bo's feed tub...the horses are still calling for him, and that just breaks your heart.
My big grey mare, Stately Morn, my matriarch, my rock, was there for me...I put my arms around her neck, and cried again...she just rested her head on my shoulder and I know she could feel my saddness.

Again...thank you so much for your kindness.

bisket
12-22-2009, 06:48 PM
its very hard to lose someone who's been a part of your everyday life for 32 years :( .we had to put our dachsund down this time last year. we were very sad, but along came a perky little pup named lucky to fill that hole in our lives. i'm lookin at lucky everyday ;) bo was just as fortunate to have you in his everyday life. it was very hard to have blacky put down. he sat on the table and licked my wife and i until it was time. it was very hard.

CryingForTheHorses
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Aww Joanie Im so sad for you,It hurts like hell,I know this as Its happened to me several times,Going to be hard looking out and not seeing him.Your love for him will forever be cherished..Sorry for your loss,Think of the memories..That will make you smile..

wisconsin
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
:(

Sorry for your loss, I know these horses are like family on the farm.

FenceBored
12-22-2009, 07:22 PM
My condolences, Joanied.

joanied
12-22-2009, 07:38 PM
its very hard to lose someone who's been a part of your everyday life for 32 years :( .we had to put our dachsund down this time last year. we were very sad, but along came a perky little pup named lucky to fill that hole in our lives. i'm lookin at lucky everyday ;) bo was just as fortunate to have you in his everyday life. it was very hard to have blacky put down. he sat on the table and licked my wife and i until it was time. it was very hard.

Thanks, bisket (one of our horses is named Biscuit:) )....indeed, the pain we feel when our beloved animals pass away is so hard to deal with. I'm sorry about your little Dachsund...we loose so many beloved pets during our own lifetime...it isn't fair.

I think you'll need to bet on Baffert's colt everytime he runs, bisket...since you are 'Lookin' at Lucky' everyday...talk about a hunch play!

Thank you, bisket.

Horseplayersbet.com
12-22-2009, 07:44 PM
The fact he lived for 32 years is a tribute to you Joanie.

Space Monkey
12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
So sorry Joanied. He lived a good long life and was fortunate to have you and your husband as his owners.

joanied
12-22-2009, 08:19 PM
My goodness...I feel I should say thank you again...to everyone who has sent me their sympathy. I appreciate it, and Bo would too.
I had a mare that also lived to 32 years old...in fact, her obituary was in the Bloodhorse magazine, the Kentucky Derby issue for Barbaro...I still miss that old mare, and she was the only one that could put Bo in his place...he could be a real pest for the other horse's sometimes...see...now you guys made me smile:)

Thanks to all of you...I've always said, we got a great bunch of folks here:ThmbUp:

rokitman
12-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Thought Bo might appreciate this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwYOFQz0rvc)

Vinnie
12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Joanied:

So sorry to hear about your loss. Bo was very lucky to have such a wonderful owner in his life as I know that you were to him.

He was truly blessed. :)

badcompany
12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Sorry, JonieD. He was a good-looking horse.

neumies boy
12-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Joanied, You know that I feel your pain. It's so difficult to lose someone who was such an important part of our lives. I'm sure Bo had the best life and was so lucky/happy to have had you. And you were blessed to have him in your life. And let your other horses comfort you. My prayers are with you.

Judy :(

nijinski
12-23-2009, 01:43 AM
He was absolutely beautiful , this has got to be tough.
Sending Prayers and Hugs.
RIP Bo.

Tom
12-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Really sorry to hear, joanied, but I'm sure his 32 years very happy ones with you.

castaway01
12-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry for your loss Joanie---it sounds like you gave Bo 32 great years.

nearco
12-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Sorry to hear about that news. He was a fine looking horse, the classic Morgan look and colour and it sounds like he had a a good run at it... 32 years is a grand age for any horse. Seems like the oldest ones are often the hardest, even though you know rationally that it's time to go. Must be all the good memories you accumulate over the years.

Damn horses, they do get inside your heart.

joanied
12-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Joanied, You know that I feel your pain. It's so difficult to lose someone who was such an important part of our lives. I'm sure Bo had the best life and was so lucky/happy to have had you. And you were blessed to have him in your life. And let your other horses comfort you. My prayers are with you.

Judy :(

Yes, I do know, Judy...and thank you. I know you are missing someone very dear to you this holiday season...
take care, and have a wonderful Christmas.

joanied
12-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Thought Bo might appreciate this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwYOFQz0rvc)

Thank you...it's funny you should include that particular horse video...we used to have an old pickup truck we fed hay off of for the cows...so old, the pick up box had a wood floor...it quit on me one day, so I left it in the field...a few hours later when we went out to get it...there was Bo...standing in the back of that truck, just as happy as can be...and, I assume, quite proud of himself....silly horse...guess he thought we'd go for a drive:D !!

You made me smile...thank you!

Grits
12-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Joanie, I'm sorry that you lost Bo--your longtime friend. I love Morgans. They're such strong, such sturdy, well built horses. They work well.

I've seen many in show rings that performed beautifully. Their bay coats glistened under the lights with their long black tails trimmed at the bottom, just like Frankel has done his runners for years.

In your photo, it looks like Bo was the complete package

Beauty and brawn.

You take care, sweetheart. Bo's at rest now.

joanied
12-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Thank you, Grits...
the replies I have gotten have made me feel so good inside...it's amazing.
Morgan's are great horses...my husbands Mom used to raise them, and Bo was one she bred...he was the last one.

DanG
12-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Bo was fortunate to have known you Joan. All the best to you and your family over the holidays.

Driver8
12-23-2009, 04:17 PM
So sorry for your loss joanied. I think we can all tell that Bo had a wonderful home and enjoyed a great life with you and your family. Always tough letting go, but the memories will endure...

Pell Mell
12-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Joanied;

As an old man in my twilight years I can tell you that there comes a time when all one has left is memories. My sweetest memories are of my dogs, every one of them as clear as sunlight.
There will come a time when Bo will be as real in your memory as he was in life. So fret not, there is more joy and comfort to yet come from him than you can imagine.

Donnie
12-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Joanie--

First, very sorry about your loss. In our house, the loss of the animals is as tough as the loss of the family and friends. Sounds likewise in your house.

Second....

He'll be missed...my other horses have been calling all day, and that makes us even sadder. We loved the old boy, and I am hurting.

One thing we started doing a while back...after having to make the decision concerning our "loved ones", we returned home with them wrapped in a blanket. We gathered the other animals around so they could "sniff" that their companion has passed. It really has made a difference in helping the other animals realize their friend has passed. The others will miss Bo as well!

Try to have a Merry Christmas besides....my father passed away 4 days before Christmas 15 years ago. The 21st is always the toughest day of the year for me...still. But I get bac in the spirit 'cause that is what he would expect!

Thoughts and Prayers!

exiles
12-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry for your loss Joanied , i feel for you.

joanied
12-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you...one and all :)
I wasn't sure I should post Bo's passing...just kinda felt it might make me feel better to acknowledge it, so to speak...and the out pouring of kind words here has been unreal...I can't even find the right words to express to all of you, how touched I am...

we all just seem to love animals so much...and that is a wonderful thing.

Pell Mell...your post was poetic...thank you...words of wisdom...I have had so many incredible animals in my life...and every one that has passed, has given me memories that will last all the rest of my life...and I have no doubt, all of us feel that same way. They are members of family and the love we feel for them can be overwhelming...and when they leave us...the pain is overwhelming.

Donnie...we kinda do that too...we have a 'pet cemetary' on the farm, so our animals have a funeral...and every one has a marker and something special on their graves...it does give everyone a sense of 'closure'.

We will cherish the memories we have of him...like the one brought to mind by rokitman...who posted a video of the horse that lives in his owners house and rides in his car...it brought to mind the time we found Bo standing in the back of a old pickup truck I had to leave in the field:)

Let's all remember our beloved pets and all the wonderful race horses that have given their lives...the joy they bring to us is a gift, and it's obvious from all your kind words, that each of us has felt the pain of loosing an animal...and the happiness they give to us...everyday.

God Bless the animals...and Merry Christmas to all.

megahertz
12-23-2009, 08:39 PM
sorry for your loss joanied

toussaud
12-23-2009, 08:41 PM
sorry for your loss

I had an siberian husky I had since I was 12 and he died last year. tore me up to no end.

matthewsiv
12-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Joanied

It never gets any easier when you lose those you love.

You should feel great pride that he lived so long and was so well taken care of by you and your husband.

It is sadder as your mother in law bred him.

But maybe now is the time for you and your husband to start breeding morgans again.

I have lost many horses over the years but
I will tell you that the memories always live in the heart.

God bless you and your husband.

maxwell
12-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Joanie,

You compressed Bo's long life into one important short sentence : He lived a wonderful life ... had the best of everything. :)

PaceAdvantage
12-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Joanie...I'm so sorry to hear of Bo's passing...as a horse lover and owner myself, I feel your sorrow...may your grief be swiftly replaced by the wonderful memories of the times you two shared together.

Nets
12-24-2009, 01:24 PM
So sorry Joanie.

Reading your posts, it is obvious the extraordinary love and affection you have for these magnificent animals. I imagine Bo could not have had a better life. God bless you and your husband. And may you both have a wonderful holiday and joyous New Year.

Gary

joanied
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Thank you again...all of you...my heart has been touched.

mathewsiv... It was my mother in law that bred the Morgan's...I used to breed Appendix QH's...my mares are TB's, and bred them to QH stallions...and if I do say so myself...I bred some outstanding babies:) ...I had a web site, and used it to sell the foals...I was never able to set myself up so I could keep the babies until they were yearlings...so all my foals were sold as weanlings...and they are all over the country, including Canada...got top dollar for them too:ThmbUp: .
But, I retired the mares a few years ago...I'm no spring chicken anymore, and it got to the point that it was getting hard for me to spend so much time (and work hard) with the horses, and still do all I have to do on our farm...and the mares were getting to the age that I didn't feel comfortable getting more babies out of them anyway...
I had a great run...my business name was 'Foolish Dream Farm'...named for Foolish Pleasure (if not for him, I never would have had my mares)...and the foolish dream I had that Foolish Pleasure made come true. (it's a long story)...

Bo did play a part in Foolish Dream Farm, though...he was a 'proud cut' gelding...and I was able to use him to tease the mares...he enjoyed it :D ...

THANKS TO EVERYONE...ALL THE REPLIES, ALL YOUR KIND WORDS, DID MAKE THE PAIN EASIER TO DEAL WITH.

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM ME AND ALL THE CRITTERS

lilmegahertz
12-24-2009, 05:14 PM
How sad to lose a loved one. You gave him a great life , one filled with love and security. Losing a furrie is losing a family member. Many condolensces....

Hank
12-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Yea this hits home big time.I lost my 14 year old bulldog [apbt] Nov 29th and Lord Byron's words ring true in my ears, "Here lies the remains of one who possessed beauty without vanity,strength without insolence,courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices.This praise would be unmeaning flattery spoken over a man,but is just tribute to the memory of a good dog"

rokitman
12-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you...it's funny you should include that particular horse video...we used to have an old pickup truck we fed hay off of for the cows...so old, the pick up box had a wood floor...it quit on me one day, so I left it in the field...a few hours later when we went out to get it...there was Bo...standing in the back of that truck, just as happy as can be...and, I assume, quite proud of himself....silly horse...guess he thought we'd go for a drive:D !!

You made me smile...thank you!
You are very welcome.

Maybe me posting that was really Bo's work. As I'm sure you know, it can be a very mysterious Universe :)

Zippy Chippy
12-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Im sorry for your loss. Its so hard to lose an animal and a best friend

NY BRED
12-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Joanie:

your friends from Brooklyn weep with you...