PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

ljb
06-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Ok, I put a memory chip in my computer yesterday. So far I have not been able to get it working. That is I still have 64 K of memory. The chip has 128 K and I put it in the second slot. Left original in puter. computer is IBM aptiva running windows 98. I searched the help files and used the setup routine at start up and am striking out. puter just does not recognise anything in slot number two. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Racehorse
06-17-2003, 10:02 AM
mem recog problem

quick answer, as I've not researched the IBM Aptiva ...

mem sticks "sometimes" have to be done in matched pairs on some older systems, especially with Win95 and Win98

100 and 133 speeds aren't "always" compatable either so it could be your two sticks aren't the same

try removing the original mem stick that came with the computer and installing the new stick ..
see if your box will boot and "see" it

I'll attempt to help you further should you need more assistance.

horse

BillW
06-17-2003, 10:54 AM
A few other things:
1) Try re-seating the RAM stick and rebooting. Things are so tight in those small sockets that occasionally they don't take a perfect seat the first time. Has happened to me on a notebook just a few weeks ago.

2) Call your vendor and ask them to verify that the memory they sold you is compatible with your machine. You might get lucky.

Bill

ljb
06-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Thank you guys. The second post was the problem. Stick was not seated properly.
Thanks again.
:)