PDA

View Full Version : When horses go to stud...

keithw84
12-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Can someone help me understand some things about when horses go to stud.

What does it mean that Point Given was syndicated for $50 million?

How does it work when a horse is not syndicated?

How do they determine that a horse will be a successful sire? For example, what about Fusaichi Pegaus and Big Brown makes them worth upwards of $50 million compared to other horses?

tzipi
12-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Can someone help me understand some things about when horses go to stud.

What does it mean that Point Given was syndicated for $50 million?

How does it work when a horse is not syndicated?

How do they determine that a horse will be a successful sire? For example, what about Fusaichi Pegaus and Big Brown makes them worth upwards of $50 million compared to other horses?

Pretty much a syndication is people coming to together to buy breeding shares. "A successful sire" The don't know if they are good sires they are just putting up big money because they won a big race or two. Most of these top horses are duds as sires. Not horrible,but not great. Most of their breeding fees drop over years.

bisket
12-19-2009, 07:20 PM
dollars earned for syndication is the main reason most top horses run around trying to avoid each other all year. which is why the graded race system needs to changed to discourage this. our year end awards need also be changed to discourage it.

Rialto
12-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Big Brown is a really good looking horse physically... no flaws.... I dont think hoof cracks are genetic, are they?

Linny
12-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Big Brown's sire had his career shortened by hoof crack issues, they seem to be genetic.

As to why some stallion prospects are woth more, there are many reasons, pedigree being first among them. The best sires are usually well bred. They come from certain families. (By family I mean certain female lines.) Skip Away and Silver Charm were star race horses that have modest sires. What they lack is breeding. GuPeg had great breeding and was a son of a leading sire and "sire of sires" yet he has not lived up to that potential either. Figuring who is going to hit is alot harder than figuring who will miss.

There is a formula, based on what the stallion manager thinks he can get for a fee, that determines the syndicate price. If a stallion is not syndicated, he remains property of one person or farm and that en titity gets the stud fees and is responsible for paying insurance, day rates, advertising fees and management fees for the stallion.

joanied
12-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Big Brown is a really good looking horse physically... no flaws.... I dont think hoof cracks are genetic, are they?

Unfortunately, yes...to an extent...if I was going to send a mare, for example, to Big brown...it'd be one with fantastic feet, and her family would never have had hoof issues...if you send the right mare to a stallion like BB, there's a very good chance you'll get a foal that will not have any hoof issues when he grows up.

joanied
12-20-2009, 02:24 PM
dollars earned for syndication is the main reason most top horses run around trying to avoid each other all year. which is why the graded race system needs to changed to discourage this. our year end awards need also be changed to discourage it.

Good point, bisket...drives me nuts every year when trainers avoid each other...and that is one reason racing suffers...fans want to see the good ones go head and head more than a few times a year, in the TC races and the BC...we need some rivalries, we need to see the good ones race each other several times during the year....like back in the good old days!!

tzipi
12-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Good point, bisket...drives me nuts every year when trainers avoid each other...and that is one reason racing suffers...fans want to see the good ones go head and head more than a few times a year, in the TC races and the BC...we need some rivalries, we need to see the good ones race each other several times during the year....like back in the good old days!!

Rivalries are dead in the sport now for the most part. Too much breeding money in the sport. It's killed it. Owners don't want to lose to anyone else anymore. And this is not just about RA and Zenyatta. It's been going on for a while now and will continue. Enjoyed Curlin though. They went after everyone all over.