PDA

View Full Version : 2005

SmartyLane
12-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Not sure if any of you are following the old blogs that Haskins is reposting on BH.com but the one today really got me thinking.

Todays was about Afleet Alex and his Preakness victory mainly, and the story behind the little girl, the lemonade stand and all of that we all know about.

My question is after watching Alex' TC races again, I can't but help thinking to myself this is probably a top 5 in the decade horse that due to injury never got a chance to prove it. I mean he did show his ability in all 3 TC races.

The Derby was a pace nightmare, and any horse close to Spanish Chestnut would likely falter in the end, plus the lung infection couldn't help things. Horses don't win the derby unless they are 100% and he was close at the end and not 100%.

The Preakness, well what can you say.

The Belmont, again what can you say.

This horse was amazing and I guess I just forgot how good he really was. Saint Liam won the Classic that year, and I can't help but think AA was superior to him.

Your thoughts???

Spalding No!
12-18-2009, 04:54 PM
The Derby was a pace nightmare, and any horse close to Spanish Chestnut would likely falter in the end, plus the lung infection couldn't help things. Horses don't win the derby unless they are 100% and he was close at the end and not 100%.

I don't buy the lung infection excuse. That reared its ugly head in the Rebel, nearly 2 months prior to the Derby. In between, he crushed the Arkansas Derby. Not to mention, just 2 weeks after the Derby was his amazing Preakness effort.

OTM Al
12-18-2009, 06:33 PM
He attended too close to the pace and was the only one still standing at the end and I still think he had 2nd still if Rose didn't take him to the rail. I appreciate the loyalty to Jeremy, but his rides were not the best in the Champagne, BC Juvie or the Derby, all of which this guy could have won. This guy could win at any distance. Wonderful horse.