PDA

View Full Version : TRPB seeks extra safeguard to close betting pools!

andymays
12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/109604.html

Excerpt:

The mechanism would act as an additional safeguard to existing policies and protocols that close betting pools at the start of the race, said TRPB president Frank Fabian. The board of the Thoroughbred Racing Associations, which owns the TRPB, voted on Thursday to endorse the concept and provide funding to fully develop and implement the mechanism, according to the organization.

A further safeguard against pools remaining open after the start of a race would allow the racing industry to address serious concerns of many gamblers who have been critical of the bet-processing network over the past several years. Although many racing officials contend that the failures are extremely rare, any failure is typically portrayed by critics as being representative of a network that has glaring security gaps.

razzle
12-17-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/109604.html

Excerpt:

The mechanism would act as an additional safeguard to existing policies and protocols that close betting pools at the start of the race, said TRPB president Frank Fabian. The board of the Thoroughbred Racing Associations, which owns the TRPB, voted on Thursday to endorse the concept and provide funding to fully develop and implement the mechanism, according to the organization.

A further safeguard against pools remaining open after the start of a race would allow the racing industry to address serious concerns of many gamblers who have been critical of the bet-processing network over the past several years. Although many racing officials contend that the failures are extremely rare, any failure is typically portrayed by critics as being representative of a network that has glaring security gaps.

Does anyone here know if it is illegal for a racetrack to allow a delay in closing the pool while wagers continue to come in? If not, is it a violation of a rule? Thank you.

Robert Goren
12-17-2009, 08:22 PM
While there has been some problems along this line, I do not believe that is big as a problem as some people believe. Let face everyone (including me) want to know what the odds are before we bet. The ideal thing as far as I am concerned would to stop the wagering for everyone else, show me the odds, and let me make my bet. I suspect that what most betters want.

therussmeister
12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
For me, the best part of this plan is it also would allow the tote to show the actual odds, not the rounded down odds (e.g. 2.8-1 instead of 5/2).

tzipi
12-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Just close off betting at 0 min. That's it. No matter where they are loading in or all behind gate,you have to bet before 0 min. Soon as it hit's zero,boom closed off.

startngate
12-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Does anyone here know if it is illegal for a racetrack to allow a delay in closing the pool while wagers continue to come in? If not, is it a violation of a rule? Thank you.
Would be a rule violation everywhere to knowingly allow a pool to stay open after the start of the race.

razzle
12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Would be a rule violation everywhere to knowingly allow a pool to stay open after the start of the race.

Thank you for the reply. I didn't ask that very well. What I'm asking is whether or not it is just a matter of racetrack discretion to assure secure pools? After all, batch-betting and system hacking are relatively recent phenomena (twenty or so years) and probably haven't been addressed by any of the racetracks in any formal way (no incentive for tracks to do so, and a lot of incentive to not do so). I doubt that racetracks are even compelled to assure synchronized timing of pool closing.
If, as you say, it's a matter of rule, whose rule is it and who is responsible for the administrative monitoring and sanctions?