PDA

View Full Version : jockeys as billboards

GARY Z
06-16-2003, 06:23 AM
i sent in a statement to the drf regarding the recent interview of
jerry bailey after the belmont stakes in which he displayed his wrangler hat,and,
during the race, displayed the wrangler emblem on his
pants.

what has me po'd is the fact that this guy makes a ton
of $ based upon the efforts of a trainer, groom, back
stretch help and through the decsion of an owner(s),and
is capitalizing on these efforts to make even more money
based on the efforts of many uderpaid and silent heroes.

it would make sense, inmho, for jd to donate this additional
income to the back stetch employees,and/or horse rescue funds
who could really use such income.

moreover, he would probably get a tax deduction under
this scenario and, at least to me, gain more respect.

racing411.com
06-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Two things to consider with this topic. The television networks must generate advertising revenue when broadcasting horse racing. It's done with a) :30 spots that run during commercial breaks and b)creative logo exposure during the LIVE coverage. Advertisers look at the latter as much if not more importantly than the :30 spots. It's part of their branding efforts as well as advertising efforts. There are companies that actually time the number of seconds that an advertisers logo is exposed during this LIVE coverage and attach a value to it. The other thing to consider is athletes and the world of product endorsements. This is a major revenue stream for the horses' owner, the jockey & stable. Athletes usually can make more money by product endorsements than they do by their performance contracts (ie Michael Jordan & Nike). This is a good thing everyone. It legitmizes our sport and will help it gain more exposure to the general public when money is being made.

Show Me the Wire
06-16-2003, 10:16 AM
I believe Jockey's have the right to endorse products, especially since they are independent contractors.

What I would add is if I was the owner and Bailey wanted to ride my stakes quality horse to so he could earn 10% of $600,000, Iwould charge him a user fee for my asset to endorse another product. Everyone makes money off the owner, and the owner is on his own.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

PaceAdvantage
06-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Good point SMTW....

racing411.com
06-16-2003, 10:29 AM
good morning show me,

the bottom line is it benefits both the owner & jockey when sponsors like wrangler pay for logo exposure & product endorsment. WE NEED MORE ADVERTISERS TO WANT TO DO THIS. this is the next step to making horse racing appeal to the masses. look at nascar. logo exposure like you wouldn't believe. sponsor logos ALL OVER THOSE RACING UNIFORMS & CARS. I'm not saying it has to get that obnoxious, but when sponsor are motivated to pour money into racing coverage like that, it's a sign that the sport is coming into it's own.

Show Me the Wire
06-16-2003, 10:56 AM
racing411.com:

No argument from me about sponsorhip and exposure. Horse racing in my opinion missed the boat when it failed to embrace television exposure and failed to see the consequences of the exspansion of gambling (river boats).

There is a difference in the other sports and horse racing. In Nascar the owner is compensated for the ad. The only way the owner benefits in horse racing is winning the purse and/or through the windows. If Bailey wnats to use my asset to endorse another product, he should pay a user fee.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is Reality

kenwoodall
06-16-2003, 11:55 AM
The best ads in racing are offspring that take part of the sire's name. Promotes the big $$ in breeding. Any legal way to make a buck is ok. Racing does not have enough corp involvement.

GARY Z
06-16-2003, 06:49 PM
so,as i seem to be taking some heat on this subject it would
appear

if a winning jockey desires, he can get his silks branded
with a gazillion ads

the owners,in turn, can pyramid/ parlay this scenario to
infinity and 4getabout racing, since the ads generate
more income than the purses

and, we may as well look @ equal rights for baseball, football,
and hockey players etc..

as far as advertisers needed for horse racing/television
promotions, maybe blacking out the races would
return the fans into the track, which fortunately(or not)
have turned the tracks into large empty tv studios

remember, the possible wild card will be legalized gambling
in the northeast come 2004

Storm Cadet
06-16-2003, 07:03 PM
I can see it now...Jerry Bailey wearing Nike Boots...wiping the mud off his face with a Gatorade towel and throwing his Oakley goggles to the little kids in the winners circle... why not, they are independant contracted athletes, just like the Williams sisters in tennis, and Tiger in golf???

JustRalph
06-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
I can see it now...Jerry Bailey wearing Nike Boots...wiping the mud off his face with a Gatorade towel and throwing his Oakley goggles to the little kids in the winners circle... why not, they are independant contracted athletes, just like the Williams sisters in tennis, and Tiger in golf???

I say go for it. Remember these guys have a limited time to earn as much money as possible. Jerry Bailey could end up like Pincay tomorrow. Make as much as possible while you can, sounds like a good rule to me. :cool:

Tom
06-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Show Me the Wire
racing411.com:

No argument from me about sponsorhip and exposure. Horse racing in my opinion missed the boat when it failed to embrace television exposure and failed to see the consequences of the exspansion of gambling (river boats).

I don't think those boats are big enough to race on! :rolleyes:

hurrikane
06-17-2003, 09:15 AM
one advantage of the sponsors is jockeys may try to win every race. No sponsor is going to want his name on a horse when the jockey is not trying.

I'm guessing I'm a sponsor I'm putting it in the contract.
"I'm watching every race and if I think you are not trying you are out of the money!"

could be a positive.

Suff
06-17-2003, 09:48 AM
This would even work at the lower level race tracks.

"Last race winner was Brought to you by "Al's Pawn shop".

andicap
06-17-2003, 05:19 PM
1. Look at successful NASCAR is.

I think all those ads look garish, but racing badly needs advertiser exposure as people have pointed out.

2. Gary, you must be kidding -- black out races on TV? That's what helped get racing into this mess to begin with! Racing was so worried about giving away its product on TV it totally missed the boat in the 60s. What do you think made the NFL so popular?
Hint: It wasn't Yugoslavian field goal kickers.

Everyone worries about TV. The movie industry refused to license its films to TV at first. Now it makes gazillions on TV rights.

hurrikane
06-17-2003, 05:28 PM
wow...I thought racing was blacked out on tv.