PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend

WinterTriangle
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
going over races you lost to find out why you lost them?

bisket
12-17-2009, 04:48 PM
about 5 minutes after the race. if i didn't have the horse figured to be there. i just try to figure out what i missed. its not good let it last any longer than that. playing this game is all about being wrong. its not good to dwell on it. go to the next race. lots of times i'll figure the horse has a shot, but eliminated him for some reason. in that case i don't even think about it.

Tape Reader
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
ZERO

bisket
12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
lots of times it will alert me to a track bias

Overlay
12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Having a quantitative, compartmentalized approach assists me in detecting which portion of my handicapping model may not be performing as anticipated. Since I'll have broken out those values as part of my pre-race handicapping, it makes it easier to spot in fairly short order which factor was associated with a result turning out other than I expected.

elksclub
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Having a quantitative, compartmentalized approach assists me in detecting which portion of my handicapping model may not be performing as anticipated. Since I'll have broken out those values as part of my pre-race handicapping, it makes it easier to spot in fairly short order which factor was associated with a result turning out other than I expected.

..uh..quantitative...compartmentalized.....handica pping model...

whoa

..the "pre-race handicapping" is the one that really broke me down...

You should have just said...."not long."

But noooOOOO.

God.

Stillriledup
12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Probably not as much time as i should. It usually comes down to underestimating the talent of the ones who beat me or overestimating the talent of my pupil. I just need to do a better job of evaluating racehorse talent, that's usually the reason most lose.

Cratos
12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
going over races you lost to find out why you lost them?

I don’t wager on many races (about 60/year) and my approach is not why my horse lost, but why the other horse won because I obviously overlooked something about the winning horse that made it a winner.

I always redo any race I wager on (win or lose) to understand whether my handicapping is on target and to refine it to be better in the future.

Spalding No!
12-17-2009, 07:01 PM
whoa

This may be the only time in recent memory that you have posted something that has ANYTHING to do with horses...

Trotman
12-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey Elksclub if you have nothing important to say take a hike to the Elf club and diddle there :ThmbDown:

elksclub
12-17-2009, 07:08 PM
This may be the only time in recent memory that you have posted something that has ANYTHING to do with horses...

Fine and dandy..and when I experience your cherry breaker,why I'll let you know.

elksclub
12-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey Elksclub if you have nothing important to say take a hike to the Elf club and diddle there :ThmbDown:

Just following most of your leads here,Snotman.

elksclub
12-17-2009, 07:11 PM
I think I'm in huge trouble.

No I'm not.

PedestalHead likes me.
=:>

Trotman
12-17-2009, 07:17 PM
:bang: ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Space Monkey
12-17-2009, 07:24 PM
To be honest, I pretty much know as they are crossing the finish line. Unless its an absolute bomb, I am aware of the possible horses, and the reasons why, they might beat me.
The race itself tells the story as it unfolds.

elksclub
12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
'Tis the season to be happy....if for only this small window for the entire year, let's try to do this thing.

I disparage myself.... a lot,as well as knowing these times can be very trying for some.

Try to laugh at your own missteps.If you can't, then at least laugh at the missteps of others as I point them out.

=;>

JohnGalt1
12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I played 3 tracks 12/16 and when I enter the results in my records this weekend, I will re-examine my handicapping. Takes me about 30-40 minutes.

I do this every time one or more days after I bet.

And I learn as much from the races I pass as the ones I bet.

fmolf
12-17-2009, 10:03 PM
I only look back if I do not have the winner as one of my contenders.I bet the horse or two horses i feel are the largest overlays.If none of my contenders win the race i will after watching the replay.(i do this win or lose)go back and check over this horse again to see what if anything i may have missed.

raybo
12-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't look back on individual races. At the end of the year I do a thorough analysis of my handicapping/wagering method. Individual races, for me anyway, are just moments in time. Trends, over time, are what I examine in depth. Looking at individual races, IMO, are counter-productive and tend to produce long term errors.

If I miss in a race. it's just another loss, regardless of the reason(s).

mountainman
12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
As a low-tech, largely intuitive handicapper, I'm not always sure when to second guess myself after-the-fact. Judgement and value are subjective concepts, and it should be remembered that not all winning bets are brilliant, nor losing ones unwise. Also, it's important when doing commentary to move along and let things go. After each show, however, I do take 10 minutes before leaving the studio in which to review my selections. Almost invariably, the races I regret are ones I wimped out on and chose chalk over live longshots. Analysis isn't quite like real-time wagering- making substantive remarks is probably more important than picking winners-but mistakes can stick with you in either endeavor.

johnhannibalsmith
12-17-2009, 11:26 PM
At this point, I can honestly say that I look at my losses in two ways after the fact:

Completely expected - as in I recognized the possibility of the outcome going in but took a risk based upon what I believed to be a probability of that outcome NOT happening.

Completely farsical - as in I may have well been reading the braille version of the form if that hopeless piece of crap managed to win.

Rialto
12-18-2009, 01:02 AM
I always take another 5 or 10 minutes to review the PPs of the winner... there is always some evidence there.... guess hind sight is 20/20 though

HUSKER55
12-18-2009, 02:18 AM
maybe five minutes at max. What did I miss? Sometiimes I see it and sometimes I don't. I move on to the next race.

Robert Fischer
12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
the time it takes to watch the race a couple times and maybe look at the chart.

TurfRuler
12-18-2009, 09:33 AM
..uh..quantitative...compartmentalized.....handica pping model...

whoa

..the "pre-race handicapping" is the one that really broke me down...

You should have just said...."not long."

But noooOOOO.

God.

Finally, someone with a sense of humor.....I use to keep my racing forms, only recently I've kept all print outs of races I've handicapped, until it started to cluttering up the joint. The only time I've felt like a winner is going over these past races only to see what I missed or what I could have chosen and what amount I could have won. Oh happy day!!! oh happy day!!!! I get such a thrill like singing the blues about my dog getting run over and my woman leaving me for another man.

elksclub
12-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Finally, someone with a sense of humor.....I use to keep my racing forms, only recently I've kept all print outs of races I've handicapped, until it started to cluttering up the joint. The only time I've felt like a winner is going over these past races only to see what I missed or what I could have chosen and what amount I could have won. Oh happy day!!! oh happy day!!!! I get such a thrill like singing the blues about my dog getting run over and my woman leaving me for another man.

!!OOOOOOOOOO!!

headhawg
12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Finally, someone with a sense of humor.....Follow his/her posts. Sense of humor? Or something a bit more...um...disturbing.

elksclub
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Follow his/her posts. Sense of humor? Or something a bit more...um...disturbing.

TrueSwine have always hated me.

All I can say is----suey me.

=:>

elksclub
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh, by the way....I am a girl.

kiss kiss-- hug hug ,Dahlings.

Show Me the Wire
12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh, by the way....I am a girl.

kiss kiss-- hug hug ,Dahlings.

That explains the band-aid selection :D

elksclub
12-18-2009, 01:11 PM
That explains the band-aid selection :D

If you could only explain away DeadHawg.

elksclub
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
You wouldn't by any chance be Mrs. Gordon Roy Parker, would you? :)

Ah don't thank so.

Single....scriptwriter for Desperate Anatomies.

Jackal
12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I simply look to see if I could have picked the horse by what I saw in the DRF. I don't waste much time on "what could have been."