PDA

View Full Version : NO human will do what in sports what.....

tzipi
12-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Secretariat did in his,"all on the line","It's no or never" moment. Those fractions were blistering! His time and fluidness was scary. His beating of his competition was ruthless and devastating! He stood up tall and showed why the man or woman above made athletes.

Here's my point! WE as horse racing fans have seen or can see the GREATEST SPORTS AND ATHLETIC MOMENT OF ALL TIME! No other sport can claim what Secretariat did in his moment,in his Super Bowl,his World Series,his championship! He stood there in that paddock like a champion and held his head high and walked into that ring like a executioner. He galloped to that gate with the gait of a warrior and then when it sprung open he did WHAT NO ONE HAS EVER DONE OR WILL DO. He never faded and left his fans down,he never wavered in that race of a lifetime. He did what was expected from him and more from us. You want to see perfection in life,that was it.

He did what was asked of him and more for the ones who love the sport. NO ONE would've run with him that day,not Man O War,not Citation,not Ruffian,not Forego,not Dr Fager,not Holy Bull,not Phar Lap,etc. Ahhhh I'm so glad to be a horse racing fan and always will be because of that race :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KvaeuIIsw&feature=related
Great piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4f6wiQJh4

Just had to write about it after looking at all his races on the internet tonight. Not that this is new,just that you realize it's the greatest after you watch it all and read about it all again. Jesus,1:09 then finishes up in 2:24. God bless him. :)

Rialto
12-17-2009, 01:02 AM
How many other horses been on the cover of 'Time'???

Rialto
12-17-2009, 01:09 AM
The lord whispered to him to go... and he went.

elksclub
12-17-2009, 01:12 AM
..uh...tdippi.....ever had the dickens beat out of you to the point you didn't realize the dickens wasn't there anymore?...do you realize how many boxers did and yet had the incredible will to come back and win the fight?...

Don't ever short change humans in certain areas...not all, but certain ones.

Rialto
12-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Watch Bekele in the 08 olympic 5k.... nobody in the history of the sport would beat him that day...

still that secretariat footage always amazes me...

tzipi
12-17-2009, 01:18 AM
..uh...tdippi.....ever had the dickens beat out of you to the point you didn't realize the dickens wasn't there anymore?...do you realize how many boxers did and yet had the incredible will to come back and win the fight?...

Don't ever short change humans in certain areas...not all, but certain ones.

Yup ok.

elksclub
12-17-2009, 01:20 AM
You're all doing fine work,really.

kiss kiss , hug hug

Rialto
12-17-2009, 01:25 AM
What a shame, I cant seem to find bekeles 08 performance on youtube... something needs to be done about that...

elksclub
12-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I know I'm in the early stages of self mutilation over this unconscionable act.

:mad: :mad:

tzipi
12-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I know I'm in the early stages of self mutilation over this unconscionable act.

:mad: :mad:

About Secretariat tribute or no youtube fight?

BeatTheChalk
12-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Yeah yeah .. but he didn't really :lol: beat anybody that day.

chickenhead
Lasse Virén eating shit in the 1972 10K, getting back up, catching the field, and then dominating them in world record time -- that was pretty good.

elksclub
About Secretariat tribute or no youtube fight?

!!

You are a funny guy!

chickenhead
12-17-2009, 02:11 AM
.....ever had the dickens beat out of you to the point you didn't realize the dickens wasn't there anymore?...do you realize how many boxers did and yet had the incredible will to come back and win the fight?

The greatest boxing performance I ever witnessed was when I was a kid. Summer, 1988. I was 11. I've never been able to find the video, I doubt it even exists.

Me and Soda Popinski, back and forth, round after round....It was amazing.

tzipi
12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Damn guys,I thought I posted on a horse racing message board :D

Rialto
12-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Lasse Virén eating shit in the 1972 10K, getting back up, catching the field, and then dominating them in world record time -- that was pretty good.

Its pretty well known that he was a doper... GO PRE!

Rialto
12-17-2009, 03:06 AM
"He looks like a god damn stallion!"

-Prefontaine on Lasse Viren

Show Me the Wire
12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Damn guys,I thought I posted on a horse racing message board :D

You did, saying no human performance in an athletic event could match a specific horse's. Would you not expect discussion to compare and contrast human performances in athletic events to the specific horse, which is really the subject of your post?

SmartyLane
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I watch the Sportscentury videos quite often.

You know those pictures that have a word under them that is suppose to be some sort of inspirational picture/artwork.

In my office I have a picture of Secretariat and Turcotte looking under his shoulder. Matted in the picture underneath is the word "Perfection". Like they said in the video, all your life you strive to be that. I am not sure it has ever been done or will be done before, but that day in 1973 you can be sure it was accomplished.

That was the day he just felt like running.

That video gives me the chills when the one guy says "come on lets see what he's got, you've done the derby, you've done the preakness, lets see how he goes all out"

chickenhead
12-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Its pretty well known that he was a doper... GO PRE!

Well I'd guess after a performance like that he was bound to get accused of something.

I'm not sure Pre could have beaten him that day in the 5K anyway , but man, what a stupid race he ran! Uncovered the entire time, most of it Wide. I'd post the youtube but afraid the fat man would blow a gasket watching it.

Pre was one gutsy little dude tho, no doubt.

Rialto
12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
If you were really well hersed in running lore you would know that lasse viren was a doper... of coarse he was better than pre anyways and would have probably beaten him without it, but still, he did it...

elksclub
12-18-2009, 12:07 PM
I am sure neither ever ran the 2 mile Himalaya Vomit course...especially in 22 degree weather....twice in the same hour....with 3 pound wrist weights.

Secretariat never did either.

Nor Al Gore.

Don't even mention Patrick Bateman.

Rialto
12-19-2009, 04:20 AM
:D ------> 2 miles..

Rialto
12-19-2009, 04:24 AM
When I was 16 I ran an 8.5 mile course up the backside of a ski resort at 6500' average in 58 minutes..... in the snow.... only about 28 degrees tho... :D

Rialto
12-19-2009, 04:43 AM
...Secratariat would have beaten me by at least half an hour...