PDA

View Full Version : Which horses from the past 25 years (1984-present) are HoF worthy but were snubbed?

Jasonm921
12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
1.Lure
2.Housebuster
3.Azeri

Ghostzapper should be eligible this year.

Also how is AP Indy in there off of 3 Grade 1 wins?

ezrabrooks
12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Artax

Jasonm921
12-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Another one

FLAWLESSLY -female turf

Paseana
12-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Flawlessly is in the Hall Of Fame......elected in 2004.

Jasonm921
12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
very true Paseana....I stand corrected.

Paseana
12-16-2009, 11:02 PM
No sweat, Jason.....I actually don't know how I remembered that. I can't all the nominees up for election this past year, let alone 5 years ago!

I did have to look up Flawlessly's election year by the way......no way I remembered that!

sandpit
12-16-2009, 11:12 PM
1.Lure
2.Housebuster
3.Azeri

Ghostzapper should be eligible this year.

Also how is AP Indy in there off of 3 Grade 1 wins?

Lure is arguably the best horse in the 20th century never named champion. He is in the BloodHorse's top 100 horse of the century. He was the first male to win multiple BC's, and a ill-timed injury was the only thing that prevented him from making it 3 in a row. He set 3 track records, on both dirt and turf. In the Bernard Baruch, he ran every 1/4 mile faster than the previous one; the only other horse I know to have done that in a route race is Secretariat.

Dick Powell
12-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Sky Beauty won the filly triple crown and the Alabama. She won nine grade one stakes, was disqualified in the Spinaway (under today's rules in NY she would not have been) and finished first in her first 15 starts in NY which was the last state that banned lasix. Yes, she failed out of town but her record was impeccable running in a drug-free state. She came back at four to win four grade ones in a row including the Hempstead while carrying 128 pounds. There will never be another female with nine grade one wins that will be denied entry to the HOF. Plus, her trainer, Allen Jerkens, has never had a hint of suspicion. If you are against drugs in racing, why isn't Sky Beauty rewarded?

lamboguy
12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
i looked up the roster and found that the horses there are the very elite of all times. it looks like they hold the standards up higher than the baseball hall of fame. i didn't see chief's crown, timely writer, skip away or formal gold, serena's song.

tzipi
12-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Anyway in all seriousness,yeah I'd def say Lure and Housebuster. Maybe Awesome Again. To top it off,look at that BC Classic field he beat. Stacked.

Bobzilla
12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
I can't recall if there was any intense debate in 1988 over who should win HOY honors between Alysheba and Personal Ensign. Alysheba was awarded the distinction after an impressive 88 campaign which saw him earn 6 G1 wins over such horses as Ferdinand and Forty Niner. Personal Ensign was awarded the Eclipse for Champion Older Female. I don't remember if some felt she had been snubbed in regard to the HOY question, but if nothing else 1988 may be just another example where there were two athletes worthy of HOY honors.

Pell Mell
12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
I can't find her record but I remember Pucker Up as being a great mare. I also remember cashing one of the best bets I ever made on her.

It would be great if someone could find her record.

Another good question would be; what hall of famers have produced another hall of famer?

KirisClown
12-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Sky Beauty won the filly triple crown and the Alabama. She won nine grade one stakes, was disqualified in the Spinaway (under today's rules in NY she would not have been) and finished first in her first 15 starts in NY which was the last state that banned lasix. Yes, she failed out of town but her record was impeccable running in a drug-free state. She came back at four to win four grade ones in a row including the Hempstead while carrying 128 pounds. There will never be another female with nine grade one wins that will be denied entry to the HOF. Plus, her trainer, Allen Jerkens, has never had a hint of suspicion. If you are against drugs in racing, why isn't Sky Beauty rewarded?

It's a crime that she's not in the HOF...

She also carried 130lbs when she won the Ruffian.. while beating horses like Dispute and Educated Risk..

joanied
12-17-2009, 09:01 PM
It's a crime that she's not in the HOF...

She also carried 130lbs when she won the Ruffian.. while beating horses like Dispute and Educated Risk..

I beleive she has been on the ballot...her day will come..she does deserve it.

joanied
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I can't find her record but I remember Pucker Up as being a great mare. I also remember cashing one of the best bets I ever made on her.

It would be great if someone could find her record.

Another good question would be; what hall of famers have produced another hall of famer?

I tried for you...and now I have run outta time and gotta shut down...but...
Pucker Up finished 2nd in the Delaware Handicap...Pucker Up was awarded the 1957 Champion Handicap Female..she ran most of her races (I think) in Illinois.
I beleive Mrs. Ada Rice owned her.
:)