PDA

View Full Version : The Worst-Run Big City in the United States!

andymays
12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-12-16/news/the-worst-run-big-city-in-the-u-s/

Spend more. Get less. We’re the city that knows how.
By Benjamin Wachs, Joe Eskenazi

Excerpt:

Despite its good intentions, San Francisco is not leading the country in gay marriage. Despite its good intentions, it is not stopping wars. Despite its spending more money per capita on homelessness than any comparable city, its homeless problem is worse than any comparable city's. Despite its spending more money per capita, period, than almost any city in the nation, San Francisco has poorly managed, budget-busting capital projects, overlapping social programs no one is certain are working, and a transportation system where the only thing running ahead of schedule is the size of its deficit.

It's time to face facts: San Francisco is spectacularly mismanaged and arguably the worst-run big city in America. This year's city budget is an astonishing $6.6 billion — more than twice the budget for the entire state of Idaho — for roughly 800,000 residents. Yet despite that stratospheric amount, San Francisco can't point to progress on many of the social issues it spends liberally to tackle — and no one is made to answer when the city comes up short.

The city's ineptitude is no secret. "I have never heard anyone, even amongliberals, say, 'If only [our city] could be run like San Francisco,'" says urbanologist Joel Kotkin. "Even other liberal places wouldn't put up with the degree of dysfunction they have in San Francisco. In Houston, the exact opposite of San Francisco, I assume you'd get shot."

boxcar
12-16-2009, 05:01 PM
The problem is that the city hasn't spent enough money. More, more, more, more, more, more money needs to thrown at these problems. I hope they see the light out there and raise taxes by at least 20% or so --- for starters. All the working stiffs in Frisco should be taxed into oblivion. If we can't get the state to secede by breaking off into the Pacific, maybe we can eventually get all those libs out there jumping out of skyscrapers, which would be the next best thing. :D

Boxcar

Saratoga_Mike
12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
May I vote for Philadelphia?

Robert Goren
12-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Any City in Texas. They are all so bad that is next to imposable to seperate them.

cj's dad
12-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I assume that you live there ???

Every big city that has a large a large population of non - working folks and or african-americans on the dole cannot be fiscally solvent!!!

If anyone here can point to a city that I have referenced as far as to not being solvent, please do so. !!!

Saratoga_Mike
12-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Every big city that has a large a large population of non - working folks and or african-americans on the dole cannot be fiscally solvent!!!

If anyone here can point to a city that I have referenced as far as to not being solvent, please do so. !!!

I was with you on the nonworking folks part, but why did you call out "African-American's on the dole?" What about whites or Hispanics on the dole?

cj's dad
12-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I was with you on the nonworking folks part, but why did you call out "African-American's on the dole?" What about whites or Hispanics on the dole?

I am only responding to what I know is factual here in Baltimore.

Most crime and gov't relief here is geared towards blacks.

Blacks on welfare- being arrested for violent crimes, and the beat goes on. I am not a prejudiced person- I think of myself as a realist.

Saratoga_Mike
12-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Blacks on welfare- being arrested for violent crimes, and the beat goes on. I am not a prejudiced person- I think of myself as a realist.

But it isn't the presence of African-Americans per se. It's the presence of a group of people from broken families (or nonexistent families) that are the problem. That group is comprised of all colors.

Pell Mell
12-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Some refuse to accept reality. :bang:

andymays
12-16-2009, 08:21 PM

San Diego.

andymays
12-16-2009, 08:23 PM
But it isn't the presence of African-Americans per se. It's the presence of a group of people from broken families (or nonexistent families) that are the problem. That group is comprised of all colors.

It's a sanctuary city and they also have a homeless population that is way out of control and unmanageable. The city council is insane.

Saratoga_Mike
12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
It's a sanctuary city and they also have a homeless population that is way out of control and unmanageable. The city council is insane.

I wasn't questioning anything you said about San Fran, just responding to CJD. San Fran's a beautiful city (could be cleaner though), but the mayor is clueless, imo. Law-and-order Republicans make the best mayors.

andymays
12-16-2009, 09:15 PM
I wasn't questioning anything you said about San Fran, just responding to CJD. San Fran's a beautiful city (could be cleaner though), but the mayor is clueless, imo. Law-and-order Republicans make the best mayors.

Didn't take it that way at all! :ThmbUp:

San Fran is way out of control.

prospector
12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
they share nancy's values..as goes san fran goes the USA if nancy has her way..

Saratoga_Mike
12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Didn't take it that way at all! :ThmbUp:

San Fran is way out of control.

When's the last time San Fran had a decent mayor, if ever? I don't know much about the political history of the city.

andymays
12-16-2009, 09:57 PM
When's the last time San Fran had a decent mayor, if ever? I don't know much about the political history of the city.

I have no idea. The City Council is the biggest problem right now. O'Reilly had something about it on last nights show (12-15).

bigmack
12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
ysmLA5TqbIY

NJ Stinks
12-16-2009, 10:13 PM
First and foremost, SF does not have any area that someone would refer to as a slum from what I've seen. Why is this true? Because even middle class Americans cannot afford to live anywhere near SF. The value of real estate in SF keeps most Americans far away. So where exactly are these "low-income people" living in SF that Andy's article referred to? :confused:

The article also stated that the middle class is leaving SF. No kidding. If you can't afford to live somewhere, you may want to move. That simple thought is not in this article. But it's as true in SF as it is in Key Biscayne or Manhattan.

Further, the article stated: "its [SF's] homeless problem is worse than any comparable city's." I'm not sure what the writer is trying to say. Is he blaming SF for having so many homeless when other cities the same size do not? Isn't it realistic to assume that many homeless people decided to live homeless in SF simply because they decided that if you are going to be homeless, you may as well be in a city as beautiful as SF?

At any rate, if I could pick one city to live in, SF is it if could afford it. Apparently, I'm not alone. The writer of the article complained that SF "has become a target destination for the wealthy and retirees". Since when did conservatives think that was a bad thing?

boxcar
12-16-2009, 11:29 PM
First and foremost, SF does not have any area that someone would refer to as a slum from what I've seen. Why is this true? Because even middle class Americans cannot afford to live anywhere near SF. The value of real estate in SF keeps most Americans far away. So where exactly are these "low-income people" living in SF that Andy's article referred to? :confused:

The article also stated that the middle class is leaving SF. No kidding. If you can't afford to live somewhere, you may want to move. That simple thought is not in this article. But it's as true in SF as it is in Key Biscayne or Manhattan.

Further, the article stated: "its [SF's] homeless problem is worse than any comparable city's." I'm not sure what the writer is trying to say. Is he blaming SF for having so many homeless when other cities the same size do not? Isn't it realistic to assume that many homeless people decided to live homeless in SF simply because they decided that if you are going to be homeless, you may as well be in a city as beautiful as SF?

At any rate, if I could pick one city to live in, SF is it if could afford it. Apparently, I'm not alone. The writer of the article complained that SF "has become a target destination for the wealthy and retirees". Since when did conservatives think that was a bad thing?

Since it became a den of iniquity controlled by libs, maybe?

Boxcar

boxcar
12-16-2009, 11:31 PM

A little affirmative action in entitlement programs only logically follows what so often goes on in labor markets.

Boxcar

BlueShoe
12-17-2009, 02:38 AM
they share nancy's values..as goes san fran goes the USA if nancy has her way..
In right wing circles the term "San Francisco Values" is an expression of contempt that has come to mean everything that is wrong about liberalism and the left.Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Barbara (dont call me ma'am) Boxer are shining examples of San Francisco Values.

jballscalls
12-17-2009, 09:59 AM
First and foremost, SF does not have any area that someone would refer to as a slum from what I've seen. Why is this true? ?

have you spent time in many of the neighborhoods?? I remember being in the area around Candlestick and it looked like something straight out of "Boyz n the hood"

I remember walking around with my cousin who lived just off Cesar Chavez blvd, and there were literally three different times between his house and the pizza parlor we went to where he said "put your wallet in your front pocket and hold onto it for the next few blocks"

i love SF, but there are a ton of horrible neighborhoods in the city

Tom
12-17-2009, 10:13 AM
A family was just shot down dad by an illegal immigrant who escaped the polcie three times due to the city's illegal sanctuary law.
Three people dead for no reason - thanks to SF snubbng the law.

We need to boot them out of the country and wall up the borders to the city.

jballscalls
12-17-2009, 10:21 AM
A family was just shot down dad by an illegal immigrant who escaped the polcie three times due to the city's illegal sanctuary law.

apparently thats how the people who live there want it, as a bastion of liberal policy and beliefs. their city, their choice i guess. nobody is forced to live there

there are many great things about the city. the food is amazing there, the sites are beautiful, but of course there are drawbacks as well.

Tom
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
apparently thats how the people who live there want it, as a bastion of liberal policy and beliefs. their city, their choice i guess. nobody is forced to live there

there are many great things about the city. the food is amazing there, the sites are beautiful, but of course there are drawbacks as well.

WRONG- The supreme Court has ruled that sanctuary city's are in violation of the law. It is NOT their choice. I can see a major lawsuit looming, and I hope it bankrupts that POS city. There is nothing good about a city that flaunts the law and puts its citizens at risk.

boxcar
12-17-2009, 11:48 AM

The injustice of this is mind-boggling. Politicians who make these insane and even wicked policies are never held accountable for their actions. This is another Fort Hood-type incident. Politicians make policies and innocent people suffer because of it. But, yet, the politicians are always as pure and white as the driven snow and can never do any wrong. And these in Frisco are particular wicked because they're hypocrites. They expect everyone else to be law-abiding and to adhere to the rule of law, yet they scoff at the immigration laws on the books and in so doing aid and abet lawbreakers.

This is another example, of how the elitists in government (at any level really) can say one thing and have one set of standards for the people, but have a completely different set for themselves. And, yet, most liberals love such hypocrites and deceivers.

Boxcar

cj's dad
12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Putting my earlier post in perspective, I can really only comment on what I have seen/experienced over the course of a lifetime. The OP asks about big cities. My entire life has been spent here (Baltimore) and I have witnessed a gradual deterioration of the city, but only in certain areas.

Clearly, the Inner Harbor area is relatively safe, clean, and nice to visit.
There are many wealthy and upscale neighborhoods in Baltimore.

Venture out to other areas and be very aware of where you are going. There are drug and crime infested areas which are populated primarily by African- Americans. A fact.

There are 200+ plus murders in Baltimore City each and every year. A fact.

The rate of black on black murder is 90%+. A fact

There have been 28 police related shootings this year alone; nearly all of those shot were black. A fact.

Our unemployment rate is high, particularly among African-Americans.
At one time Baltimore led the country in unwed teen pregnancy as well as venereal disease (syphillis) and both of these negative stats were very high in the A-A community. These also are facts.

Our mayor - Sheila Dixon has been found guilty of theft and will most likely be forced out of office. A fact reported nationally

The city school system is a joke and a drain on the taxpayers. An opinion

Inner city schools are at the bottom of the list in graduation rates and test scores. A fact

These are the realities of life in this big city, the only one I can speak for, and that is a fact.

Tom
12-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Jeepers. I like Baltimore! :eek:

The Sun
Utz Crab chips
Tasty Cakes
Jimmy's

I got past the bullet holes in the wall of the 7-11 where I picked my DRF, and the bullet proof glassed -in teller where I filled up the rental car's tank. :D

Murph
12-17-2009, 01:40 PM

We need to boot them out of the country and wall up the borders to the city.Recent developments on this issue suggest to me that it's going from bad to even worse in spite of the crime situation. This story is published Dec. 12th, 2009.

Supe's push on sanctuary law could backfire (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/12/BAQ41B32EM.DTL&type=politics)

Campos says his new law on arrested undocumented juveniles is nothing to worry about. He'd better be right. This has the potential to be legally challenged, which could undo San Francisco's sanctuary city status and put some good people in danger of facing criminal prosecution.

The ordinance, which was enacted this week, looks like a looming legal train wreck, say probation officers. They feel obligated to report undocumented juveniles when they are arrested, despite Campos' new law, which orders them not to.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/12/BAQ41B32EM.DTL&type=politics#ixzz0ZyMnVVU3

BlueShoe
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
George Christopher 1956-1964, the last Republican mayor. Democrats in city hall since then.

Marshall Bennett
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Any City in Texas. They are all so bad that is next to imposable to seperate them.
What a childish statement . You have outstanding warrants there ?

Saratoga_Mike
12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
What a childish statement . You have outstanding warrants there ?

I, too, disagreed with this assertion, but why is the statement "childish?"

Tom
12-17-2009, 07:25 PM
What a childish statement . You have outstanding warrants there ?:lol::lol:

Robert Goren
12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
What a childish statement . You have outstanding warrants there ? :D NO warrants

Rookies
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
I've been to both Baltimore & San Fran as a tourist. The latter I loved, walking freely throughout, taking transit, going out late at night to see the touristy things. I'd go back in a second. One of the finest American cities, imho, although I am partial to Manhattan.

As for Baltimore, D has mentioned more than once that there is no coincidence that it runs neck and neck with the HBO series- the Wire- where it derives. So, even though I live in a big city, I'd keep my head up more than normal passing through Baltimore... which is about all I did before, short of the trip to the Inner Harbour.

NJ Stinks
12-18-2009, 12:11 AM
have you spent time in many of the neighborhoods?? I remember being in the area around Candlestick and it looked like something straight out of "Boyz n the hood"

I remember walking around with my cousin who lived just off Cesar Chavez blvd, and there were literally three different times between his house and the pizza parlor we went to where he said "put your wallet in your front pocket and hold onto it for the next few blocks"

i love SF, but there are a ton of horrible neighborhoods in the city

I went to Candlestick Park back in the '70's. I don't remember bad neighborhoods but that was a long time ago. If you say there are a lot of bad neighborhoods, Jballscalls, I believe you and stand corrected.