PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever named a pet after a racehorse you loved? I'm naming my lab....

Zippy Chippy
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Zenyatta. I know. Easy, predictable, popular choice, but most people in the world are not familar with horse racing. I think Zenyatta is a really beautiful name. Im picking her up in 3 weeks and can't wait. I'll be sure to post pics of Zenyatta!

joanied
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Zenyatta. I know. Easy, predictable, popular choice, but most people in the world are not familar with horse racing. I think Zenyatta is a really beautiful name. Im picking her up in 3 weeks and can't wait. I'll be sure to post pics of Zenyatta!

It is a beautiful name...look foward to seeing some photos...we named our latest Black Lab (he's 9yrs old) after a character Bruce Willis played (In Country)...Emmett. Our mixed breed female dog is after a Lord of the Rings character...Arwen.

elksclub
12-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Oh my God.

Stillriledup
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
You need to contact the Mosses and ask their permission.

ranchwest
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Good idea, but I named my dog Bo Diddley.

miesque
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I have never named a pet after a racehorse but Zenyatta is a cool name for your new pup. Its a little off topic but naming horses or pets can be a fun topic of conversation.

Actually the pet naming game has been on my mind since I will be getting another male Doberman at some point within the next year (the one I have is 15) and currently the top names under consideration are Maximillian, Alexander, Genghis, Attila and Bismarck. If I got two it would be awfully tempting to call them Genghis and Attila (and yest that is my idea of cute :D ).

My cats have typically been named in the Investment Banks although my next cat I am thinking of going with a wine name like Petrus or maybe Rothschild which also has a Investment and Racing angle to it.

Track Collector
12-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Why not Zippy, like your Forum name? BTW, I suspect the Zippster is still around somewhere with trainer/owner Felix M. Shortly after his "retirement", they were going to make a movie about this lovable/laughable loser, but is just didn't pan out.

I was at the Northampton fair one year when he ran his heart out and missed winning by a head. At no other time did he come close to winning, at least at the fair.

nijinski
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Wanted to name one of my pets after a great horse that raced before I got
into the game , so I named my Dobie/Rottie mix Kelso.
Had her , yep her , for twelve fabulous years .

alhattab
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM

I admit to this- have a black lab named Ruffian and had a 3-legged Rottie named Serena (Serena's Song).

Jackal
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Dogs are great! Even if her owner is a Zenyatta lover!
:ThmbUp:

Rialto
12-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Black Female Dog?

Name it 'Ruffian'

Resurrect...

But you gotta run with her everyday... hard....

proximity
12-15-2009, 11:14 PM
not sure if i like the name zenyatta for a dog??

perhaps poly or maybe tapeta?

look forward to seeing the pics!!

chickenhead
12-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I have a cat named Johnny Cash.

elksclub
12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh my God.

chickenhead
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
And a gerbil named Mortimer.

DeanT
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I had a dog named Jenna. And she was named Jenna before Jenna Jamieson was named Jenna. Jenna Jamieson stole my dogs name.

elksclub
12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
"And a gerbil named Mortimer."

====================================

spit!!!!

Now I am going to sleepy-poo!

!!!!...that was a gud wun!

macguy
12-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I called my dog Felix Unger, his dog dish and collar are all monogrammed.

Bochall
12-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Former boxing champ Livingstone Bramble (later known as Ras-I Aluja) from St Croix(!!!!) had a dog named snake and a snake named dog...no kidding.

senortout
12-16-2009, 01:03 AM
We've had Beagles ever since when....

When Bachelor Beau won the Bluegrass, we got a dog named Beu-Beu.

When a non-descript mare came thru for us and brightened our otherwise dreadful day at the races, She was named Barbara something or other...but the new dog was male...Bobby was as close as we could come...When Nickel B won at a big price at Keeneland one day, our new Beagle became Nick!

so, no, other than those...we never did that at all...

senortout

Grits
12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a cat named Johnny Cash.

Chick, if you get a female, ya gonna name her June Carter???:lol:

Zip, you'll end up calling her Zen. Zenyatta is a mouthful--too long for a dog. I like things simple, not flashy, not complicated. I don't do cute or ostentatious, neither are ever good for me. When you're in public, folks look at you like you're a fool when you call your dog. LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

The three Boykin Spaniels we owned over the last 30 years were all chocolate brown with gold eyes. As they all are, of course. (One of THE smartest dog breeds on the planet, by the way.) They're names were Coffee, Hershey, and then, Chili. All simple names. All wonderful pets.

Our doberman was brown, too, and a wonderful dog. She was Tia, named after my favorite (brown in color) after dinner liqueur, Tia Maria.

Today, my Yorkie, my only pet is named Zoe. And most of the time simply called, Zo.

Simple's good, Zip.

Damn, I love that cat named Johnny Cash!!!!!! That's, honestly, just a great one.:lol:

If I were to ever own a Pug, which I seriously doubt, as I'm not fond of them. With that tail, I'd possibly name him, Curlin.

joanied
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Miesque....I had 2 Dobies...they are fabulous dogs, intelligent as can be...and they should have strong names like the ones you are thinking of...my Dobies were named Budda and Moses.

We've had 3 Black Labs...the one we have now, named after a Bruce Willis character is Emmett...then we had Zeus and our first one was Stoney (an Indian Tribe)...and his name really hit the mark...he turned out to have Epilepsy and so was on drugs all his life...so Stoney was a great name for him...ya know...always stoned:D . My soul mate dog was a pup someone abandoned on our farm...didn't know where she came from, named her Gypsy. And the female mixed breed we have now with Emmett (G.Shepard/Dobie) I rescued from a shelter is named for a Lord of the Rings character...Arwen (I liked Eowen, but it's a mouthful).
Lots of other dogs in my life...but that goes back too far:) The next Black Lab we get will be named for another movie character, from Lonesome Dove...Gus.

jballscalls
12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Yellow Lab named Luke, not after a horse, but after one of the best guys in the horse business.

woodtoo
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Have a Bermese/cross named Winston(Churchill) and a Shep/cross Teddy(FDR).As Winston grew to 120 lbs. He took on the nickname Big Black,
still in training :D

woodtoo
12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Never call your pet Taxi,people think your crazy when you call him :lol:

CryingForTheHorses
12-16-2009, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=alhattab]I admit to this- have a black lab named Ruffian and had a 3-legged Rottie named Serena (Serena's Song).[/QUOTE/]

I have a 3 legged cat who was stepped on by a horse as a kitten..We call him Tripod

TimesTheyRAChangin
12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
).[QUOTE]

Tripod

That's just so not right!!!!(ROTFLMFAO!!!!!)

Jay Trotter
12-16-2009, 02:58 PM
We named our dog "Maximus Decimus Meridius" after the Russell Crowe character in the movie Gladiator.

We call him Maximus or just Max!

Red Knave
12-16-2009, 06:54 PM
We had a golden retriever mix we called Morgan. Partly after MorganMorganMorgan who won the Tampa Bay Derby in '83 (beating Slew O' Gold). I saw his name in the book Champions and it stuck in my head.

Actually I'm just hoping I get an OMG from elksclub. :)

elksclub
12-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I had a race horse named for my Father.

Really,really.

Not the name, just thayin' it's true.

Space Monkey
12-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Black Female Dog?

Name it 'Ruffian'

I had a black female Lab back in the 70's and I named it Ruffian.

I also had a lovable beagle mix named Scratch :)

Whats your problem Elks?

WinterTriangle
12-16-2009, 11:29 PM
A pregant cat somebody dumped on me had kittens ON the day of the KY Derby this year.

So, they were named after KY Derby horses that were running!

(before the race was run). Little buggers, not one horse with any of those names was ITM.

Ranger
12-16-2009, 11:41 PM
I have a 6 month old male German Shepherd named Ridan.

The German Shepherd before him was Kelso.

This the only place I never had to explain the names.

Wayne

PaceAdvantage
12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Ranger, two posts since joining in 2001...you are indeed a rarity...and an oldie!

domino1891
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey Miesque....I had 2 Dobies...they are fabulous dogs, intelligent as can be...and they should have strong names like the ones you are thinking of...my Dobies were named Budda and Moses.

We've had 3 Black Labs...the one we have now, named after a Bruce Willis character is Emmett...then we had Zeus and our first one was Stoney (an Indian Tribe)...and his name really hit the mark...he turned out to have Epilepsy and so was on drugs all his life...so Stoney was a great name for him...ya know...always stoned:D . My soul mate dog was a pup someone abandoned on our farm...didn't know where she came from, named her Gypsy. And the female mixed breed we have now with Emmett (G.Shepard/Dobie) I rescued from a shelter is named for a Lord of the Rings character...Arwen (I liked Eowen, but it's a mouthful).
Lots of other dogs in my life...but that goes back too far:) The next Black Lab we get will be named for another movie character, from Lonesome Dove...Gus.

Joanied,
Please do NOT call them Dobies, use Dobe or Doberman. They are far too majestic a breed to be called "Dobies".
(From someone who also had the breed)
Thank you!

joanied
12-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Joanied,
Please do NOT call them Dobies, use Dobe or Doberman. They are far too majestic a breed to be called "Dobies".
(From someone who also had the breed)
Thank you!

Oh, pardon me, domino1891....I'll be sure to remember that :bang:
:)

illinoisbred
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Reading this thread I can't help being reminded about the old story/joke of the woman with the dog named sex. Sex gets loose, the owners looking for him when a neighbor asks, "what are you doing?" Owner responds ,"oh I'm just looking for sex". Neighbor asks, "hey how is that new dog of yours?" Owner responds,"oh I just love sex, can't imagine my life without sex". So on and so on .I'm sure everybody heard that joke-I just couldn't resist.