PDA

View Full Version : Santos

Derek2U
06-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Hey guys ... I was just reading the Sunday papers & read a few
criticisms of Santos' ride on Funny Cide. How do you feel about
his ride? Did he restrain/fight FC trying to harness his speed?
Oh, Happy Dads Day

Show Me the Wire
06-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Derek2U:

2U "Did Santos Blow It?".

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Derek2U
06-15-2003, 01:18 PM
I asked that question because I really dont know the answer.
But I did think it was weird. I tried to imagine the early pace
and I was convinced that FC was the fastest no matter how
you measured it. But running ONLY enough to make EM your
shadow could hand Bailey a big+ ; did he make a bad judgment
call? I don't know, but I do think a speed front-runner should
act like one & make Bailey think twice.

Lefty
06-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Everytime a horse is eligible for the TC and comes up short i'm always hearing and reading how the jockey "blew it" It's a tough grind, the TC and only the very "best" win. When horses are of fairly equal ability the "fresh" horse usually wins the Belmont. It happened again, that's all.

Show Me the Wire
06-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Derek2Me not U:

Look at the thread "Did Santos Blow It?" lot of discussion on your question and the thread about rank.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Why is this "Off Topic"? I'd move it to another section, but since this looks like a rehash (or in lawyer's terms, "asked and answered"), I'll keep it here.... ;)

Show Me the Wire
06-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Sustained

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

boxcar
06-16-2003, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Why is this "Off Topic"?

It's here because the thread starter doesn't read too swell.

Boxcar

Lefty
06-16-2003, 12:59 PM
OR, maybe cause Derek thinks Santos might be involved in a vast rightwing conspiracy...

Observer
06-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Since they didn't win, it's a lose-lose for Santos .. had he let the horse run freely and lost, he would have been criticised for allowing the horse to go too fast .. here, he got the horse through what appeared to be suitable fractions, but it didn't matter.

To me, clearly the horse was not handling the track as he switched leads several times on both turns .. something I can never recall seeing from Funny Cide.

As for the comment on the "fresh" horse winning the Belmont .. From what I understand, Empire Maker was just the second horse to run in the Derby, then skip the Preakness and then go on to win the Belmont. The only horse before him to do so, was Commendable, just a couple of years ago, in 2000. If I'm wrong on this (run in the Derby, skip the Preakness, win the Belmont path), please, someone correct me.